Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very big problem with Autopilot so far

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live close to Ocean city Maryland and drove home with autopilot from Salisbury Maryland. I drove home on Route 50, and it seemed every single turn lane (theres about 10 or so on my route) the car wanted to go into the turn lane instead of following the middle dotted line. This is a very big problem IMO as it makes autopilot even more stressful than regular driving. Will it eventually learn not to turn with the turn lanes?

I live close to Ocean city Maryland and drove home with autopilot from Salisbury Maryland. I drove home on Route 50, and it seemed every single turn lane (theres about 10 or so on my route) the car wanted to go into the turn lane instead of following the middle dotted line. This is a very big problem IMO as it makes autopilot even more stressful than regular driving. Will it eventually learn not to turn with the turn lanes?

It's a beta. The system is gathering millions of data points every day and rolling out improvements based on real routes driven. I guarantee that in time this route will be just fine. Give it time to learn (and continue to drive it and provide proper correction to the system so it does learn).

This is the beauty of autopilot - the constant learning and "wisdom of crowds"

I live just off of Route 50 in the opposite direction, about 45 miles west of DC. Out here, 50 is mainly two lanes with many turn lanes. v7.0 is scheduled to load overnight tonight, so I look forward to some interesting testing. The other wrinkle for me is that here in the Virginia piedmont, country roads including 50 are constantly going up and down over hills and through valleys. When I tried the lane departure warning some time back it was a disaster: as you reach the crest of a hill you lose the view of the road ahead. The wheel was buzzing almost continuously. I would be very pleasantly surprised if the same doesn't occur with autopilot.

It's a beta. The system is gathering millions of data points every day and rolling out improvements based on real routes driven. I guarantee that in time this route will be just fine. Give it time to learn (and continue to drive it and provide proper correction to the system so it does learn).

Once Tesla observes 50 cars drive down a certain stretch of road, that should be good enough. For observations 51-500, how much smarter is the system? My guess is not very, and if that's the case, improvements will come very slowly. I would love to be wrong on this...

I have only driven about 12 miles with it, but it does not like to hold it's lane as well as I expected. I am sure they will do a nice job improving during the beta phase.
It does have problems with freeway offramps. Wants to exit instead of staying on the road. Also, whenever the HOV lane markings on the right transitioned from double-double yellow lines to dashed white lines (where cars enter and exit the HOV lane), the car veers to the right.

I really don't want a right-leaning vehicle. :)

The lane issue will probably be fixed very quickly. I'm actually surprised it's an issue in the current release. In most cases it's probably an easier problem to solve than many of the other ones. If the lanes are painted, you'll have a dashed line on the inside where the exit ramp is. Today I encountered 3 or 4 such cases where the hardware should easily have determined how to stay in the lane.

But remember that when TACC came out there were a few issues like this, and they were corrected fairly quickly. I'm thinking within a month or so the lane exiting issue will be mostly fixed.

The lane issue will probably be fixed very quickly. I'm actually surprised it's an issue in the current release. In most cases it's probably an easier problem to solve than many of the other ones. If the lanes are painted, you'll have a dashed line on the inside where the exit ramp is. Today I encountered 3 or 4 such cases where the hardware should easily have determined how to stay in the lane.

But remember that when TACC came out there were a few issues like this, and they were corrected fairly quickly. I'm thinking within a month or so the lane exiting issue will be mostly fixed.
Agree that Tesla will be very aggressive in rolling out improvements, given the critical nature of auto-steer.

It's following the left lane marker into turn lanes even though you're at speed and becomes a pretty severe maneuver then the driver has to yank it back straight...happened to me today too. No one will continue to use autopilot on routes like this just to hope that tesla will learn from it. This would be a constant see-saw battle with autosteer. We'll use the system in situations where it works and leave it disengaged where it doesn't.

Are you really going to use it all the time and just override it all the time?

Just to counterbalance this thread for some readers who want information on Pilot Assist:

I LIKE IT!

I noticed that I can see further than the radar. I can see where the road turns, far ahead, and would have started turning sooner. I could see that the double yellow veered left to make room for a left turn lane. But, as we said, it's learning.

The side awareness has greatly improved. The braking has improved. The following has improved. I drove 60 miles today with it, and it generally did as well as I might. Yes, it veered a slight bit when the left turn lane came up, then realized and veered back. I see human drivers do a lot worse. Yes, it might lose one of the lane lines, but it would follow the other side just fine until it found the first one again. It stayed in the middle of the lane quite well. When it started having too much trouble, it asked me to help out.

It noticed vehicles near me, guard rails, bushes, even. It did not veer from them. It followed a car doing 60 mph to a complete stop at a signal (it doesn't read signals or stop signs) and then back up to speed, with no help. It veered at an exit, but only slightly, and quickly came back to the lane. It had no trouble changing lanes with no other help than holding the signal until it was well near done.

Just as a reminder, it was recommended that this was for long stretches of highway. To me that means no turn lanes or driveways, etc. Tesla also said that we were supposed to keep our hands on the wheel and watch. No problem if you do that.

I plan to use it mainly on long, boring highway trips (4 hours to LA, 900 miles to Phoenix through "inspiring" desert scenery) and it is made for that.

I like it too. I drove 130 miles with it today through a long construction area on a crowded Interstate highway (I71 approaching Cincinatti Ohio) and it handled it all better than I would have, especially because of all the heavy close trucks on one side, construction barrier on the other. Frankly I had no expectations it could handle that. Then I used it in a 25 mph zone full of intersections turn offs etc. I expected it to fail completely. It did better than many drivers, constantly switching from one line tracking to another. It had no problem with tut offs so long as the left line continued. Crossing intersections it darted about a bit but never left the proper trajectory. Candidly, I'm amazed! I know it will not fo everything so well.

I'll have a solid database. I have just begun a 1300 mile trip. The update completed, then I immediately began my trip.

As a pilot with lots of autopilot experience on approaches that come very close to the ground or autoland, one of the first thing I did when trying out the lane-keeping feature was to discover how much pressure I had to give the wheel to turn off and override the lane-keeping feature. Answer: not much at all. Until this feature is refined through subsequent versions, you would be wise to be prepared at critical times to take over.

I'm actually enjoying the process of finding out what those critical times are. For example, I am not comfortable with lane-keeping on when there's a semi-truck in the next lane and he's swaying a bit too much due to wind. At such times I will hand-drive my gorgeous Tesla and favor the other side of my lane, thank you very much. Stay on your toes as you discover what kind of driving works with your comfort level when it comes to lane-keeping.

Last edited:
I did 40 freeway miles today and was very impressed with the lane keeping ability. I do think it has a bit too much of a "follow the right line" bias, it needs to stick to the left line more, that would solve the exit problem. I expect several updates over the next few month will improve this. For a first release, it's good for me., Really made freeway driving, where there is no thrill of driving anyways, more pleasant.

I experienced the same complaint today of it trying to exit on every offramp I went by... (seattle area, 520west) even with the Nav destination set to be going straight ahead (maybe it could take that into account).
Hopefully it learns fast from the # of people that will be jerking the wheel to stay on path.

the other problem I had was on the floating bridge where the dotted white line on the road was not painted but just had white reflectors, it seemed to have trouble seeing them and would drift onto them and then go back in lane. There are areas of the bridge with pretty narrow lanes and it would drift towards center a little too much, was a bit of jerky experience bouncing left/right in the lane.