TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Very deep water

Discussion in 'Roadster' started by zack, Apr 5, 2011.

1. zack

zack Member

Last year in Minneapolis we had a torrential downpour that raised the water level on some streets to 18"+. My G55 made it through just fine. What would happen with the roadster? Would the enclosed alumin(i)um glider protect the passenger compartment and waterproof connections protect everything else? Or would something catastrophic happen? Btw this storm happened without (specific) warning during rush hour.

2. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Toast.

Soggy Toast.

3. richkae

richkae VIN587

There are fans underneath the car that blow air at the electric motor and the PEM.
    It is important to not get water in them. I worry about it when I go through 2 inches of water, if I was faced with 18 inches I would turn around.

4. doug

doug Administrator / Head Moderator

I seem to remember some kind of immersion detector that would cut the power. Not sure how high the water has to be to trigger that fail-safe.

5. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Zack, tons of ICE vehicles are written off by insurers every year in these "freshwater floods"...if you know it's coming, get to high ground...if you're stuck in it as you described (driving whilst the flood rains are in progress), vfx is right...you're "done like dinner".

6. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

maybe we have to ask Lotus to make the same modification on the Roadster like they did with James Bonds Lotus Esprit.

7. doug

Here's something on the ESS. Blast from the past... not sure how accurate it still is:
    The Most Coddled Automotive Battery Ever? | Blog | Tesla Motors

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

This does seem like the Tesla of old with multiple multiple redundancies built in.

9. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

ok, to be correct. because of the liquid cooled battery, there is no chance for water to penetrate the back. The rain water has a high electrical residence therefore no current will flow. Most problems are the blower under the trunk. This are only IP33 and will quickly corrode. The fans for the AC are no problem because of IP68. A real problem would be an Tsunami because of the saltwater which leads the current quite well.

10. Talkredius

Talkredius Member

already done, you only have to order the water sealed option. With this option the car can swim, the rear fans are switched to the main battery and will move the car forward. And I have heard rumors that the submarine option is already in alpha status. Diving is done with the front fans. Now we know the real reasons for some design issues.:wink:

11. doug

12. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

Manual says nothing about "very" deep water ;)

deep_water.jpg

13. AndrewBissell

AndrewBissell Member

Oops - I have driven through a ford on a river a couple of times. No ill effects at all but maybe I shouldn't have?

14. doug

This is the general rule for any car, I believe.

15. suxxer

suxxer ElektroVolt

More or less :cool:

Land Rover Disco 4
    deep_water_lr.jpg

16. doug

17. KBF

KBF Model S 2017

I live a tad North of Fargo - I am definitely not going to drive over flooded roads; someone died last week in Manitoba because he didn't know the submerged road he was driving on was washed out.