Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All the configuration and purchase decisions are challenging. There are no right or wrong decisions if you purchase or keep what you want and/or need. It's one of the reasons I have planned for years to drive both Model S and X and compare. The one Tesla that I and my passengers prefer will be saved. My brother says, "keep both". I am more practical. Eventually, one should reduce the multiple cars and houses to simplify. My Escalade cannot hold the largest items now, so having the Model X towing option can help replace that gas vehicle that has been sitting for occasional towing days. The Big Sky windshield will be the best travel feature. The safety ratings are a top consideration for any vehicle purchase. If one safety feature prevents injury or death, then every penny spent on a vehicle is worth it compared with a medical, funeral or law suit expense.

I do not write this to get Al to change his mind, but rather give encouragement to all who make the right decision to carefully choose, and then move forward with confidence in a decision well made. Let's look at the advantages for Al, he has multiple Model S cars that have a higher safety rating than Model X. That is the most comforting thought I can think of at a time of decision like this. Thanks Al for sharing your decision with us. I am pleased you got to attend the event and get the data you needed. Consider your decision as the most important vote for Tesla Motors to consider a Model U - for Utility. A true configurable electric vehicle with removable, foldable and resizable seats that allow for a flat bed van if needed.

Last edited:
First, I accept that this is a 'first world problem'. The Ss my family enjoy are, IMO, a no compromise sedan. They are safe, spacious, fun to drive works of art that happen to be powered by electricity. I have wanted to replace our gas guzzling Range Rover Sport and saw a unique opportunity to do so when the prototype model X was revealed. So, I put down my deposit and waited. The wait became an extended one but I, like many, hung in there. I went to the reveal event earlier this week to see one 'in the flesh'. The X is a safe, fast, people mover. It appears to be a great vehicle. However, it can not replace the utility of the RR, or many other SUVs on the market, without having an option of second row folding seats. This may come as an option in the future but you can not postpone your Sig build until that time I am told.

So, I called and canceled my reservation.

Coincidentally I took the same decision earlier today. I love the X overall and a big part of me just wants it; I think it is darn near perfect as a family car and especially for travels and road trips. However, in our case we needed something that was more SUV than the X has turned out and, just the way it works out, we have more flexibility with our Model S for the things we need. I'd love to have had it for towing the horses but we do that just once a month and it doesn't make sense for us to trade that once a month benefit for the loss of flat folding seats we have in our S.

I know I'm going to look enviously at every Model X, but I'm also crossing my fingers that Tesla keeps developing the car and that we'll get the chance to jump back in once the configuration options look better for us. The good news is that at least I get to keep my Roadster in the meantime!

I totally sympathize with how hard this might feel to you both and fully understand your decision. I'm also very proud Tesla has managed to release the safest and fastest SUV to date.

It was three things that made me smack down a signature deposit in less than 24 hours of knowing about it on the initial reveal: large interior cargo capacity, 7 passengers, and safety.

I was 90% sure I was going to cancel before the launch event due to the non-folding seats. After attending the launch, I'm disappointed (to put it mildly). So for now I'm 99% sure I'll cancel. I'm very hopeful that Tesla will rectify this and perhaps we'll all be happy to jump back on board!

Fingers crossed, for now, but I feel like crying, its been a long exciting and fun filled wait here on TMC. Now it feels over.

:crying:

That's the annoying thing about folding seats, you lose an entire passenger seat even if you only need a tiny bit more room.

Theoretically, you can fit a long slab of wood with 7 seats up. Just slide it between those head rests.

It's possible to accommodate a bike with its front wheel turned crooked in Model X, but that is not the same as laying the whole bike flat.

Whatever the comforting words you are trying to convey that current design is a good alternative, that is not the same as a nice long flat cargo area that was shown in the prototype.

It sounds like they hit a compromise that isn't satisfactory. You can slide the seats forward and back from the touchscreen. Perhaps there was potential for a folded seat to foul against the front seat when sliding forward, hence they sacrificed the folding rather than sacrifice driver controlled sliding.

To both Nigel and Al, I feel your pain. My X resevation is 16xx production, and I'm (naively?!) hoping that Tesla has already started the wheels in motion to offer a fold-flat 2nd row. I sent Tesla an email yesterday strongly encouraging them to consider this option. It may not do any good, but it was a way to voice my frustration. Your Sig cancellations send much louder messages. I think they'll do it, but when? I expect this issue to be raised at the Q3 earnings call in Nov. I fear silence in the interim.

I totally sympathize with how hard this might feel to you both and fully understand your decision. I'm also very proud Tesla has managed to release the safest and fastest SUV to date.

It was three things that made me smack down a signature deposit in less than 24 hours of knowing about it on the initial reveal: large interior cargo capacity, 7 passengers, and safety.

I was 90% sure I was going to cancel before the launch event due to the non-folding seats. After attending the launch, I'm disappointed (to put it mildly). So for now I'm 99% sure I'll cancel. I'm very hopeful that Tesla will rectify this and perhaps we'll all be happy to jump back on board!

Fingers crossed, for now, but I feel like crying, its been a long exciting and fun filled wait here on TMC. Now it feels over.

:crying:

If you are that early on the list, it will be a tough call. You might be able to drive the car for a bit and flip it without losing money. Think about that before you cancel your order. Perhaps a Chinese student from UBC desperately needing a Model X to drive to school. I am actually serious.

But once the production ramps up (1 year after delivery perhaps), the early cars will likely suffer a large depreciation. In part due to the small revisions and improvements on the later car, and also possibly the introduction of new features such as folding rear seats.

By the way, technically Model X will be the quickest SUV (i.e. 0-60 acceleration) but probably won't be the fastest (i.e. top speed).

It sounds like they hit a compromise that isn't satisfactory.

I am sure Tesla's current design is the best they can offer.

Because other car companies can fold their seat, it is naive to think that Tesla cannot.

It is still a mystery because Tesla doesn't tell us what's the stumbling block is which creates lots of speculations and now, heartbreaks for some.

I cancelled before the reveal as I realized I didn't need an SUV anymore when a sedan like the S can fold flat seats and create so much suv capability. But, one thing I have given up is the towing ability. However, I do wonder about what some others have asked - namely, how does one get to a charger with a trailer attached? Is the cord long enough? I guess you'd have to pull up parallel and block others if not? Has anyone answered this question? Thanks. I feel your pain.

Wow! I'm honestly shocked by the long time reservation/posters cancelling. I was also at the reveal. I have also had a $40K deposit with Tesla for years. From the looks of the crowd there, I don't have the resources of most of the other reservation holders. I can nit pick the details of the MX forever but it doesn't change the fact that it is a totally different vehicle compared to anything else out there. When I purchased my BMW X5 seven years ago, I tried to sell it back in the first 3 months. It didn't do a whole bunch of things that my Chevrolet Avalanche pickup could do. I initially ignored all the things it did that the Avalanche didn't do. After seven years, I've come to enjoy the BMW. I will save $30K at least over the next seven years versus my BMW or if I were to switch to a Range Rover or equal. Plus no gas, no C02, etc etc.

i think that Tesla does a terrible job as far as communications and working with its customers. Up to now, I somewhat assumed I was alone feeling that way because I thought most of the sig reservation holders had enough $$ that it wasn't critical. This is a fundamentally different vehicle compared to anything out there. I don't think you can compare who has the best cupholders. If you thought this was going to tow a 10k horse trailer, you were kidding yourself or blind to facts. I'm in because of the fundamental differences. As far as the details, I have pros and cons with every vehicle out there.

Wow! I'm honestly shocked by the long time reservation/posters cancelling. I was also at the reveal. I have also had a $40K deposit with Tesla for years. From the looks of the crowd there, I don't have the resources of most of the other reservation holders. I can nit pick the details of the MX forever but it doesn't change the fact that it is a totally different vehicle compared to anything else out there. When I purchased my BMW X5 seven years ago, I tried to sell it back in the first 3 months. It didn't do a whole bunch of things that my Chevrolet Avalanche pickup could do. I initially ignored all the things it did that the Avalanche didn't do. After seven years, I've come to enjoy the BMW. I will save $30K at least over the next seven years versus my BMW or if I were to switch to a Range Rover or equal. Plus no gas, no C02, etc etc.

i think that Tesla does a terrible job as far as communications and working with its customers. Up to now, I somewhat assumed I was alone feeling that way because I thought most of the sig reservation holders had enough $$ that it wasn't critical. This is a fundamentally different vehicle compared to anything out there. I don't think you can compare who has the best cupholders. If you thought this was going to tow a 10k horse trailer, you were kidding yourself or blind to facts. I'm in because of the fundamental differences. As far as the details, I have pros and cons with every vehicle out there.

I truly am happy for you that you will be getting an X. I would like to make myself accept the shortcoming (IMO, not others) that the utility is not compromised by not having an option of second row folding seats. With the engineers at TM I am sure that they could (and at one point probably will) have that option. My only 'bone to pick' with you is being 'blind to the facts'. The prototype had folding seats and an executive at TM, Mr. Chen, in a presentation Tesla Model X Towing Capacity “Close to 10,000 Poundsâ€￾ - Gas 2 inferred that the towing capacity would be up to 9,000 lbs. So, I was not kidding myself or blind to those facts.

Personally, a larger towing capacity would be great but I could work with 5K. (a compromise, but one I could accept)

Al and Nigel and a growing brunch of TESLA diehards,

I do feel for your anguish and hope for you that a future iteration of the second row will become much more practical and "conventional", so you can get the dream you have had with the rest of us for so long now.

I am lucky since I do not need the extra space of three flat folding seats but was also thinking of canceling before the 6 seat configuration was optioned in. I need to be able to carry skis inside, and still have room for my kids and dogs. with this option that is possible.

I think the problem is that with Elon's first (second) child "model S" they played it safe, and it was a great success! So now with the second (third) he pulled all the stops out and went with ALL his ideas as they popped up. This often happens in product and design world. in the end the final product has too many of the cool ideas incorporated and therefore looses some of its goodness, becomes too compromised. This is the hardest part to hone and is the difference between good design and great design. obviously Elon is not the designer but the VERY charismatic, and probably impossible to say no to, hands on boss.

Hopefully he hears the cries for functionality and that he REALLY listens.

As a tsla investor I hate to see anyone canceling their orders but the line is long and others will simply move up, happily. I can think of a demand lever Tesla can pull in the future with the model X :)

I agree on the utility trailer, problem solved.

As a tsla investor I hate to see anyone canceling their orders but the line is long and others will simply move up, happily. I can think of a demand lever Tesla can pull in the future with the model X :)

I agree on the utility trailer, problem solved.

I have a substantial amount invested in TSLA as well and you are correct, this is probably not even a 'speed bump' to TM because it will be X supply constrained for some time. I'll pass on the utility trailer. Just another thing to find storage space for.....solve one problem, create another.

First, I accept that this is a 'first world problem'. The Ss my family enjoy are, IMO, a no compromise sedan. They are safe, spacious, fun to drive works of art that happen to be powered by electricity. I have wanted to replace our gas guzzling Range Rover Sport and saw a unique opportunity to do so when the prototype model X was revealed. So, I put down my deposit and waited. The wait became an extended one but I, like many, hung in there. I went to the reveal event earlier this week to see one 'in the flesh'. The X is a safe, fast, people mover. It appears to be a great vehicle. However, it can not replace the utility of the RR, or many other SUVs on the market, without having an option of second row folding seats. This may come as an option in the future but you can not postpone your Sig build until that time I am told.

So, I called and canceled my reservation.
Don't blame you. Having seats that don't fold down is a highly questionable design choice, second only to those doors.