Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Difficult decision..Canceling my Sig X reservation

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some people don't have any since of humor.

Tesla Model S Mule

IMG_2995.JPG

Deonb, My Quadra steer Denali is over ten years old with only 75,000 miles on it. Won't buy another one until they offer Quadra steer again. I love the Quadra steer. But I only drive it when I absolutely have to use it as a truck. Over the years I have gone to great lengths to fit things into our old Model S so I didn't have to drive the truck. When I need a truck I use it.

After many road trip miles in Model S cars I never imagined that Model X would be practical for towing even 5000 lbs for any significant distance. The range when towing has to be brutally short. So your decision to buy a proper tow vehicle is wise. I never envisioned the X would be a logical tow vehicle for heavy loads over long distances.

The old saying, proper tool for the proper job applies. Your diesel Denali is a great fit for heavy towing.
At least someone here understands physics :)

...This car is NOT an SUV...More like a crossover...
It IS a crossover. Read the list of crossover vehicles at Wikipedia. Tesla Model X is on the crossover list.

Crossover (automobile) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"A crossover, also known as a crossover utility vehicle (CUV), is a vehicle built on a car platform and combining, in highly variable degrees, features of a sport utility vehicle (SUV) with features from a passenger vehicle, especially those of a station wagon or hatchback."

"Crossovers are typically designed for only light off-road capability, if any at all."

Need more proof, check out the Wikipedia details about an SUV.

Sport utility vehicle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

"According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, a "sport utility vehicle" is "a rugged automotive vehicle similar to a station wagon but built on a light-truck chassis". The "SUV" term is defined as "a large vehicle that is designed to be used on rough surfaces but that is often used on city roads or highways." The "SUV" acronym "is still used to describe nearly anything with available all-wheel drive and raised ground clearance.""

"SUVs are known for high ground clearance, upright, boxy body, and high H-point. This can make them more susceptible to dangerous roll over due to their high center of gravity."

Last edited:
I am rather surprised that people thought the X would be a full up off road four wheel drive SUV....

From the very first prototype it looked exactly like a crossover style to me. Maybe the distinctions have been muddled over the years as companies create all manner of vehicle configurations that don't fit a specific category.

Hauling a a thousand pounds of batteries, in a vehicle location susceptible to ground clearance damage, should make it obvious that this vehicle will not be a great choice for driving on back country logging roads.

But then I always get a chuckle when I see a Range Rover on 22" inch wheels. You can bet that vehicle never sees a dirt road either.

I am rather surprised that people thought the X would be a full up off road four wheel drive SUV....

From the very first prototype it looked exactly like a crossover style to me. Maybe the distinctions have been muddled over the years as companies create all manner of vehicle configurations that don't fit a specific category.

Hauling a a thousand pounds of batteries, in a vehicle location susceptible to ground clearance damage, should make it obvious that this vehicle will not be a great choice for driving on back country logging roads.

But then I always get a chuckle when I see a Range Rover on 22" inch wheels. You can bet that vehicle never sees a dirt road either.

From what I have seen and heard no one expected the X to be a full off road four wheel drive vehicle. IMO many people expected it to have utility more in line with an SUV or CUV that gave one the flexibility of folding second and third row seats creating a large utility space.
As to your comment about finding it funny that some thin walled tired SUVs think they can be off road, I agree with you. But if it comes right down to it you can have standard tire/Wheel configurations that allow a RR to be a pretty good off road vehicle and swap out tricked out tires/rims to make it less utility and more flashy. I prefer one that has function over form.

Last edited: