Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Dim Backup/Reverse Lights?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you're missing what I'm talking about.
I'm NOT talking about the camera.
I'm talking about the actual lights and using my Mark 1 eyeballs ( as we used to say in the Marines)
My backup lights are so dim as to be useless as far as seeing anything illuminated with them in backing up and NOT using the camera.
As I said in my post, either looking through the back or using the mirror it illuminates practically nothing.
My camera video on the other hand is actually pretty good but when it rains and I have drops on the cameras I actually like to be able to go old school and use my eyes.
I wish I good replace the bulbs with better ones
Ah.

At first I thought that's what you were saying, but wasn't sure if that related to the other comments in the thread.

On my UK spec MS with only one reversing light, the illumination isn't great, but neither is generally rear visibility without the camera display. I feel the car is doing its best to have me hit something since I can't even open the door to sneak a better view as the car just shifts to park as soon as the door opens or my weight lifts off the seat!

Last edited:
I think you're missing what I'm talking about.
I'm NOT talking about the camera.
I'm talking about the actual lights and using my Mark 1 eyeballs ( as we used to say in the Marines)
My backup lights are so dim as to be useless as far as seeing anything illuminated with them in backing up and NOT using the camera.
As I said in my post, either looking through the back or using the mirror it illuminates practically nothing.
My camera video on the other hand is actually pretty good but when it rains and I have drops on the cameras I actually like to be able to go old school and use my eyes.
I wish I good replace the bulbs with better ones
Use the camera, that’s what it’s there for

So your answer to the fact that the reverse lights are weaker than those on a 1972 Pinto is " use the camera."
Well, I actually do that but that doesn't change the fact that the reverse lights suck.
I 'm guessing the technology exists to make reverse lights that actually do something
Don’t know what glue your sniffing but the Tesla has been one of the easiest cars to back up with....

Don’t know what glue your sniffing but the Tesla has been one of the easiest cars to back up with....
Allow me to finish your statement: "...Tesla has been one of the easiest cars to back up with...except at night, in an area with no streetlights, and you take your foot off the brake. As long as the brake lights are on, light is adequate."

Don't know what glue I've been sniffing?
The title of the thread is "

Very Dim Backup/Reverse Lights?"​

My posts had to do with the poor illumination of the reverse lights.
Your obnoxious post shines a bright light upon your ignorance as well as your misplaced arrogance.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
Seriously ! I had about 6 or 7 of them at one point - 1971 ~ 1978 - loved all of them! I don't know why they got such a bad rap. Had a couple of Ralph Naders Corvair's too ~ they were blast to drive. I never did flip one of those over either !
'
Nader actually admitted in the 1990s that he was completely wrong about the Corvair.
As for your Pinto, well, love is in the eye of the beholder.

• Disagree
Reactions: qdeathstar
^ it's not actually the existing reverse LED's that cause the problem... they are actually bright enough- it's the "night mode" brightness gain setting that needs adjustment. I tried three different sets of add-on LED lighting for the reverse lights... and every time they activated the auto-gain actually darkened the picture to the point where they were not much better than just using the built-in reverse lights even though they actually made it very bright behind the car when looking with the naked eye.

Go in a dark area, put your MY in park then turn all it's outside illumination off. Once you do that.. turn on the cameras and watch the auto-gain on the rear cam boost the darkness level behind the car way above the actual outdoor level. That illustrates that the reverse cam is well capable of great night coverage, it's gain level is just way off and needs to be adjusted via software update.

• Funny
Reactions: MrTemple
I realise this is a MY thread, but as an S owner previously plagued with similar symptoms I would like to understand bid the Y really as the same problem.

When you look at camera images, does the rear camera have much darker blacks that others?

On the S at least there were reports that this effected MCU2 media units only and that the issue was fixed. I thought I could see some improvement but no change in the crunched black levels.

Another observation with S owners was how a bright point light source resulted in the rest of the image sinking into the crushed black levels and therefore impossible to make out details in shadows.

^ it's not really a crushed black issue, it's an overall gain issue. IDK if it's some kind of mode triggered by the backup lights or the backup lights are being caught in the lens and that is causing the reaction? As soon as the BU lights come on... the overall scene gets much darker. As I previously mentioned... Go in a dark area, put your MY in park then turn all it's outside illumination off. Once you do that.. turn on the cameras and watch the auto-gain on the rear cam boost the darkness level behind the car way above the actual outdoor level. That illustrates that the reverse cam is well capable of great night coverage, it's gain level when you hit reverse is just way off and needs to be adjusted via software update.

^ it's not really a crushed black issue, it's an overall gain issue. IDK if it's some kind of mode triggered by the backup lights or the backup lights are being caught in the lens and that is causing the reaction? As soon as the BU lights come on... the overall scene gets much darker. As I previously mentioned... Go in a dark area, put your MY in park then turn all it's outside illumination off. Once you do that.. turn on the cameras and watch the auto-gain on the rear cam boost the darkness level behind the car way above the actual outdoor level. That illustrates that the reverse cam is well capable of great night coverage, it's gain level when you hit reverse is just way off and needs to be adjusted via software update.

It would be nice if Tesla actually spent some manpower working on things like this--a safety issue--vs. things like car wash mode which are just fancy macros.

I dropped off my neighbors in the dead of night - a pitch black rainy night in the sticks. No additional light anywhere. Trying to back out of their drive was hell.

The backup cameras don't help when it is that dark. I want light. Real light so I can turn around and at least see trees and the road with my own eyes. Extremely disappointed that there are no functional backup lights.