Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing first week with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sorry to hear about your issues. Document everything. Keep working with the service center to resolve the issues. If you are not eventually happy, as about getting a new build or file a lemon law complaint. On my 3rd Tesla which just had its LTE module go bad 3 weeks ago along with the pano roof seal splitting in 2 for the second time. The Dania Beach SC is great and getting better. Lots of text messages updating me on the progress of getting the parts (which is new). Hope it all works out for you. I love mine even with its faults.

i come from a Lexus as well. Lexus is a much nicer "luxury" car whereas a Tesla is an overpriced "premium" car.

now i don't want to make excuses for the troubles you're having as they're unacceptable, but a Lexus will always be quieter and more "buttoned together" in my opinion.

i have an early 2016 X and your problems sound worse than mine have been...if this is a recent build then it's not a good look. :(

I am still driving a Lexus. My wife switched to BMW to Tesla MX. Lexus is boring, but It is quiet and very well put together and I never had a single problem in 180,000 miles. I am sorry for OP who talked his dad to switch from Lexus to Tesla. 20 years with Lexus, his dad's bar was set very high.

Of the list of OP's problems, I think 6 and 7 are common to all Tesla owners. I don't use the auto open/close garage door. Auto open usually works, auto close.. not so much. And after trying the auto rain wipers for a month, I turned it off. It doesn't work well in light rain because it uses camera instead of water sensors to detect rain. I am better off just use setting manually.

• Informative
Reactions: Radonculous
I too came from Lexus and Volvo and would never go back. Lexus are souless cars. Tesla will fix these issue that really do not seem that bad. But I do agree with the statement that Tesla's are overpriced.

Haven't owned Volvo, but agree that Lexus are soulless. My wife doesn't understand the concept of a car having a soul, so she doesn't care as much ;)

Sorry to hear about your issues. Document everything. Keep working with the service center to resolve the issues. If you are not eventually happy, as about getting a new build or file a lemon law complaint. On my 3rd Tesla which just had its LTE module go bad 3 weeks ago along with the pano roof seal splitting in 2 for the second time. The Dania Beach SC is great and getting better. Lots of text messages updating me on the progress of getting the parts (which is new). Hope it all works out for you. I love mine even with its faults.

Appreciate everyone's advice.

Davidc18: Working with the Dania team, but understandably have very mixed feelings about competency given certain responses, lets see...I'll update the phone software and see if it makes a difference and doubt it will considering it was working for two days prior to it being in the service center and now has issues and that our other newer phone also doesn't connect. I would like to keep the car, but will propose new build or lemon law if this continues.

Wow, this is horrible. Makes me feel better that I am keeping my current DD and not trading it in at delivery of my X. My delivery appointment will take hours going through with a fine toothed comb because I don't think the car will be acceptable for delivery after hearing these comments.

This is crazy. I read about people picking up their MX with these kind of issues and some people pick it up without any issues. I picked mine up 2 weeks ago and found nothing wrong. I feel like there are 2 production lines in the factory or maybe 2 different shifts of manufacturing people with different quality standards.

It's a mass produced product and as such, a roll of the dice on receiving the product perfect or problematic. And of course there's a spectrum between those. However, how the company deals with the quality issues after-sale has the largest impact on customer satisfaction.

Reactions: Nilnoc
IMHO Tesla's and especially the Model X, should not be purchased by "normal" people who expect things to work and be finished nicely. I have an early build 2016 and knew that going in and planned on a later build hoping they would get better as they made more cars. So many people delayed getting their cars and ours was a local delivery with all the bells and whistles so Tesla pushed us way up the list. I was fearful I would get a problem car because of that. We lucked out and I think my car is probably better than some of the newer cars I see produced and except for the 100 battery, would not consider taking a chance on a new build.

Not much to offer here but these tidbits:
6. Difficulty with the automatic open and close for garage that worked about 5/10 times.
Mine seems to have a mind of it's own. When I back out of our garage and it's done in one pass, it seems to work ok. If I stop while backing before it closes to put in park it restarts again counting down about 80% of the time. Sometimes it's 50 feet or more before it closes and there is no countdown at all. I have a place on my driveway that is about 75 feet from the door where I know it will never work past that point. So when I reach that and don't hear the door "bing" I have to back up about 20 feet and manually trigger it while looking in the RVM.

7. Rain sensing wipers don't actually sense rain and need to be manually turned on for the system to realize there is rain ie not functioning normally.
Make sure you use auto position #2. #1 seems to be worthless to me.

9. This vanity one is just annoying, but we can't do the Christmas easter egg feature without it failing about 10 seconds in.
Make sure the car is completely level all around.

I recently got an X 100D. March, 2018 build with the new Intel MCU.

I have the same buggy issues related to the MCU (no browser, FM-HD radio not working properly etc.) but I know Tesla is working on it because some of the even earlier bugs (car won't sleep, WiFi won't work, can't re-boot etc.) have already been dealt with.

I have an intermittent and annoying rattle from the back that I *think* is related to the second row bench seat. If I go and manually move the seat back and forth, making sure it's locked in position, the rattle will go away for a while.

I did notice some very minor panel gap misalignment around the front bumper area where the panel, bumper skin and wheel well molding come together.

Overall, though I am quite satisfied with the car. I had a Model S for 5 years and the saving grace in all of this is that Tesla Service have been excellent to deal with. Every problem, no matter how minor, was taken with the utmost seriousness and I was always provided with a new S or X loaner.

I know the cars are expensive, but most of that has to do with the cost of the drive-train technology. I find it helps to think of it as a $40,000 car with a $60,000 battery because as many have said, there are a lot of other cars with what seems to be much better build quality and (especially) interior design. My former Cadillac CTS was superior in just about every way except for it's ICE drive-train.

Reactions: AustinP
i come from a Lexus as well. Lexus is a much nicer "luxury" car whereas a Tesla is an overpriced "premium" car.

now i don't want to make excuses for the troubles you're having as they're unacceptable, but a Lexus will always be quieter and more "buttoned together" in my opinion.
I guess it depends on what you mean by luxury. I prefer the luxury of never using gasoline.

One thing folks tend to forget about is that people come to share stories of their issues. But folks that are having no issues, hardly come to a forum to share that. So it looks like it is skewed while in reality the majority of buyers have had no issues.

That being said, i read through all these types of issue posts so that I can be aware of it should I have any problems with my Purchase.
Sorry OP.

I know the cars are expensive, but most of that has to do with the cost of the drive-train technology. I find it helps to think of it as a $40,000 car with a $60,000 battery because as many have said, there are a lot of other cars with what seems to be much better build quality and (especially) interior design.

This is an interesting perspective on it. Something I'll need to keep in mind.

IMHO Tesla's and especially the Model X, should not be purchased by "normal" people who expect things to work and be finished nicely.

That is true, but most people found out about that after they bought one. I didn't know about it until I got one and started reading the forum. Ours was a showroom car so it was one of the better one that they decided it was good enough to kept in a showroom! I think the problem is more in the quality control than anything else. The first time we turned on the windshield wiper.. found out it was installed backward. It scratched up the A-piller and our MX was in the shop for 2 weeks for repair.

One thing folks tend to forget about is that people come to share stories of their issues. But folks that are having no issues, hardly come to a forum to share that. So it looks like it is skewed while in reality the majority of buyers have had no issues.

That being said, i read through all these types of issue posts so that I can be aware of it should I have any problems with my Purchase.
Sorry OP.

i see positive delivery stories on here all the time. a few negative ones too.

I guess it depends on what you mean by luxury. I prefer the luxury of never using gasoline.
you're using luxury as a noun and i'm using it as an adjective i think. :)

I'm talking about ploofy soft ride and big leather seats, massage, fridge, heated and cooled seats that work properly, heated and cooled cup holders, etc... these items can be had on "luxury" vehicles that sell for much less.

yes my "fuel" bill is only $12-$20/month compared to $100-$200 with gasoline, but the car is just "nice" not incredible like the Lucid Air promises for example...

Wow, this is horrible. Makes me feel better that I am keeping my current DD and not trading it in at delivery of my X. My delivery appointment will take hours going through with a fine toothed comb because I don't think the car will be acceptable for delivery after hearing these comments.

But you are not hearing about all the people who don't have any significant issues on delivery. If you look hard enough you will find faults, however small. If you get too bogged down in fault finding then you probably won't enjoy the car.

FWIW we kept our other car just in case and I haven't driven it since! The X is just an amazing daily drive. Some of the software is a bit buggy for sure, but otherwise it's a brilliant car.