Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing first week with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So true, I have an early build MX and, yes, there were a few service center visits for minor annoyances, but everything was sorted while I enjoyed a sweet loaner. And now it's been over a year since I've had any issues with my MX. Tesla is a rapidly growing, disruptive company (I think everyone knows that by now), so if you are not prepared for few minor issues in the name of disrupting one of the most destructive industries on Earth, then it might be a good idea to wait a few years before you buy a Tesla. I have no doubt that Tesla will get this right, my new Model 3 with *zero* issues in 5 months is proof of that.

I was(still am) worried about issues with the X. Besides the high price a few years back, the reliability was one of the big reasons why I didn't order one (until now, placed my order Jun 1st). I finally decided to go on a test drive and fell in love with the X immediately. Way more than the S. I loved the S, but the X's windshield is something else. It has enough performance and the amenities are just way nicer. Being able to safely and comfortably seat 6 was a huge deal to me as well.

First, I've been in 4 Xes in the past month. None of them suffered from the problems mentioned here, and I was overall surprised by the fit and finish. The materials (mostly synthetic now) are nothing short of amazing. I'm a leather snob and I care a lot about the fit and finish. I liked the synthetic leather and alcantara liner and overall quality. I thought most of the complaints people had about the materials being used isn't justified. Also the car is the smoothest, most fun car I've ever driven.

BUT! Quality problems certainly do exist. People have posted their fair share of them on this forum and elsewhere. Everyone knows that teslas can have QA issues. That doesn't mean everyone does. It's kind of a crap shoot, but trust me, I was TERRIFIED of it. In the end though, I decided that the potential upside of owning the coolest car (come on, a super fast minivan with karate kid back doors that can comfortably seat 6) far outweighed the potential downsides. I also have a service center close by (10 minutes) and I've heard that Austin has some pretty good people that work both there and in the gallery. The proximity to a SC definitely influenced my decision to buy one.

I decided it was time to drop $100k in a car that has the potential for absolute joy when driving. Yes if there are serious issues, I'm going to be unhappy. However, I'd kick myself more for not trying it now. Sure they'll fix more kinks in the future and streamline their process even more and add better hardware, but the entire spent waiting was time not enjoying driving a model X now.

I have to say, if you like cars and you like tech, it's pretty hard to beat a tesla. Will I sometimes want the sound of a inline 6 twin turbo M3? Funny I used to say yes, but now, the answer is no. You know what's better than the sound of an awesome V6 or V8? A faster car that makes no sound ;)

As an aside, most people I know that love their BMWs have their fair share of issues too. A quote I've heard a lot of was "I love my M3 ... when it's not in the shop". Sound familiar? I think all enthusiast cars have risk like this. You have to know what you're getting into.

I did take pics, I posted them in another thread.
are you still "lol"?

I actually spent 20 minutes going through your post history and found you posted three pictures. Two of them don’t load anymore. The third one, showing the passenger side rear quarter panel of a black Model 3, shows almost perfect panel fitment. I am now convinced you are trolling and would like to continue with the topic of conversation in this thread, if you don’t mind! Thank you!

I was(still am) worried about issues with the X. Besides the high price a few years back, the reliability was one of the big reasons why I didn't order one (until now, placed my order Jun 1st). I finally decided to go on a test drive and fell in love with the X immediately. Way more than the S. I loved the S, but the X's windshield is something else. It has enough performance and the amenities are just way nicer. Being able to safely and comfortably seat 6 was a huge deal to me as well.

First, I've been in 4 Xes in the past month. None of them suffered from the problems mentioned here, and I was overall surprised by the fit and finish. The materials (mostly synthetic now) are nothing short of amazing. I'm a leather snob and I care a lot about the fit and finish. I liked the synthetic leather and alcantara liner and overall quality. I thought most of the complaints people had about the materials being used isn't justified. Also the car is the smoothest, most fun car I've ever driven.

BUT! Quality problems certainly do exist. People have posted their fair share of them on this forum and elsewhere. Everyone knows that teslas can have QA issues. That doesn't mean everyone does. It's kind of a crap shoot, but trust me, I was TERRIFIED of it. In the end though, I decided that the potential upside of owning the coolest car (come on, a super fast minivan with karate kid back doors that can comfortably seat 6) far outweighed the potential downsides. I also have a service center close by (10 minutes) and I've heard that Austin has some pretty good people that work both there and in the gallery. The proximity to a SC definitely influenced my decision to buy one.

I decided it was time to drop $100k in a car that has the potential for absolute joy when driving. Yes if there are serious issues, I'm going to be unhappy. However, I'd kick myself more for not trying it now. Sure they'll fix more kinks in the future and streamline their process even more and add better hardware, but the entire spent waiting was time not enjoying driving a model X now.

I have to say, if you like cars and you like tech, it's pretty hard to beat a tesla. Will I sometimes want the sound of a inline 6 twin turbo M3? Funny I used to say yes, but now, the answer is no. You know what's better than the sound of an awesome V6 or V8? A faster car that makes no sound ;)

As an aside, most people I know that love their BMWs have their fair share of issues too. A quote I've heard a lot of was "I love my M3 ... when it's not in the shop". Sound familiar? I think all enthusiast cars have risk like this. You have to know what you're getting into.

This is an amazing post. Thank you for that write up. I’m awaiting august delivery of mine and, as my profession, I tend to be a fit and finish snob too. The April 2018 inventory models I checked out in the Alpharetta showroom are, although nice, a bit awkward a clunky (rubber seals hanging off, plastic not snapped in right, etc). Here’s hoping mine might be better!

This is an amazing post. Thank you for that write up. I’m awaiting august delivery of mine and, as my profession, I tend to be a fit and finish snob too. The April 2018 inventory models I checked out in the Alpharetta showroom are, although nice, a bit awkward a clunky (rubber seals hanging off, plastic not snapped in right, etc). Here’s hoping mine might be better!

I was looking at some of the showroom cars and I didn't see the particular issues that you had mentioned, though I have also heard people talking about the seals.

One thing about the showroom cars is that you get a lot of people messing around with them. You may want to also go take a look at their car fleet to look through those as well and see if they exhibit issues. It's a crap shoot for sure. However, seals and plastic should be easy to fix at the SC. That isn't going to be a concern for me. In fact, those would be the best kinds of problems, if you're going to have them. The car is drivable while you wait for the SC to secure you a loaner. Then if you're out of a car for a few days, you have a replacement tesla that you can rack up the miles on that isn't yours all the while you're getting yours fixed. That seems like an okay trade-off to me. Again, proximity to a SC heavily weighs on this decision. If you're far away from one, I would suggest thinking twice about gambling on the car.

I actually spent 20 minutes going through your post history and found you posted three pictures. Two of them don’t load anymore. The third one, showing the passenger side rear quarter panel of a black Model 3, shows almost perfect panel fitment. I am now convinced you are trolling and would like to continue with the topic of conversation in this thread, if you don’t mind! Thank you!
behold the frunk gap you could put your finger in and the passenger door practically touching at the top and 1/4in at the bottom.

You must be new here, image postings have been flaky lately.
model 3-3a1.jpg

model3 1a1.jpg

I liked the synthetic leather and alcantara liner and overall quality. I thought most of the complaints people had about the materials being used isn't justified.

I feel the same way, switching from Model S to the X as well, the synthetic leather on my S held up much nicer over the 3.5 years then any of my previous ICEs: Porsche Boxster, Infinity FX, Audi A4. I can remember nothing but the repairs costs on those ICEs.
After looking at the OP's list of issues, I could totally leave with all of them for a year or more in return for innovation and unparalleled performance you get with a Tesla. Some of the folks who got a Tesla are way too much into old school buttons and tech.

Reactions: Evoforce

I could have written this myself! When I first looked around a Model X in our local Tesla showroom this time last summer, the car they had at that time had a few badly fitting body panels, especially around the front lights. It was not a good sign for sure, but the car as a whole was still amazing. After a couple of test drives and seeing better quality examples coming into the showroom only a few months later, I finally ordered my X in September 17 for Feb 18 delivery. I was still a bit concerned about build quality and reliability, but when my car arrived it was looking great and I agree that the interior materials and quality are excellent. Better than my last Porsche 911 in many ways. I'm only 6k miles in, but all is good and I'm now rapidly gaining confidence in the car's day to day reliability. The driving experience is also amazing, so no regrets at all here.

All these non-owners whinging about quality of cars they don't even own and often appear to hate is laughable. Obviously owners with genuine serious issues I have sympathy for. The problems are out there for sure, but not everyone has them.

Reactions: X Fan
I did take pics, I posted them in another thread.
are you still "lol"?

The funniest thing here is that you appear to have been hanging around the Tesla forums for several years with no intention of ever owning one based on all your negative posting. Even your avatar suggests you have very different taste in cars. If you are not a troll you are doing a great impression of one. I'm sure if I went on a Ford forum with a Tesla avatar and started saying how crap I think all their cars are for a couple of years I'm sure I wouldn't be welcomed!

behold the frunk gap you could put your finger in and the passenger door practically touching at the top and 1/4in at the bottom.

You must be new here, image postings have been flaky lately.View attachment 312255
View attachment 312250

Okay, so what point does this prove? Do you know the owner and the history of this particular car? How do you know it hasn't been crashed and repaired? Is it even a production car or just a test hack? The wheel in your second photo is badly kerb rashed, so doesn't look like someone's pride and joy. There are examples in the wild of poor panel fit on every single make and model vehicle in existence. Some from factory quality control, others from abuse or crash damage. It's fair enough an owner coming along and listing issues with their new delivery. But random shots of an unknown car with apparent issues is pretty meaningless unless the aim is simply to affirm your preconceptions.

Reactions: X Fan
The funniest thing here is that you appear to have been hanging around the Tesla forums for several years with no intention of ever owning one based on all your negative posting. Even your avatar suggests you have very different taste in cars. If you are not a troll you are doing a great impression of one. I'm sure if I went on a Ford forum with a Tesla avatar and started saying how crap I think all their cars are for a couple of years I'm sure I wouldn't be welcomed!
And in these years I keep begging tesla to please build me a pickup...

Okay, so what point does this prove? Do you know the owner and the history of this particular car? How do you know it hasn't been crashed and repaired? Is it even a production car or just a test hack? The wheel in your second photo is badly kerb rashed, so doesn't look like someone's pride and joy. There are examples in the wild of poor panel fit on every single make and model vehicle in existence. Some from factory quality control, others from abuse or crash damage. It's fair enough an owner coming along and listing issues with their new delivery. But random shots of an unknown car with apparent issues is pretty meaningless unless the aim is simply to affirm your preconceptions.
All four looked to be curbrashed. The car had new tags on it. It was the 1st one ive seen that I could walk up to. If I get over to that place again soon ill get the vin.

My Model X is my pride and joy but still has curb rash as sh*t happens.

• Funny
Reactions: jjgunn and Peteski
Does your internet browser work? Do you have the new MCU? I've been told (perhaps falsely) by my service advisor that this is an issue with ALL new MCU and they can't help with it. This seems to affect the app, Christmas trick / Easter egg, and potentially bluetooth as well. Thanks.

Have some faith your issues will be corrected. The car is an engineering marvel, but probably too complex for its own good. I picked up my Model X last week, and it's been nothing short of awesome.

View attachment 312221

Does your internet browser work? Do you have the new MCU? I've been told (perhaps falsely) by my service advisor that this is an issue with ALL new MCU and they can't help with it. This seems to affect the app, Christmas trick / Easter egg, and potentially bluetooth as well. Thanks.
Hopefully this isn't the case, but let me know what you find out. Hopefully they are working on a firmware update that will address the issues. Thankfully it's software so a fix will hopefully come out soon

My 2018 with the new MCU cannot browse the web, do the Christmas trick, and I have massive issues with Bluetooth. No connectivity issues with bluetooth but call quality is terrible most of the time.

My 2018 with the new MCU cannot browse the web, do the Christmas trick, and I have massive issues with Bluetooth. No connectivity issues with bluetooth but call quality is terrible most of the time.

My 2018 new MCU X 100D has the browser issue. Haven't tried the Christmas trick yet. But my Bluetooth calls are flawless. You might want to schedule a service appointment. I had that issue with my Model S and they replaced the microphones which solved the problem completely.

1. Steering wheel off axis by about 10*.
2. Horn essentially inoperable (unless you hit very specific parts of the horn with all of your might). This almost led to an accident as someone veered into our lane on the way to service.
3. Missing and pulled stitches in the center arm rest.
4. Internet NOT working. Oddly the internet browser was NOT working at all unless we reset the car (holding top buttons on the steering) and only then it would work transiently for a while.
5. Iphone app intermittently showing that it could not connect to the car and that we have no Tesla products registered
6. Difficulty with the automatic open and close for garage that worked about 5/10 times.
7. Rain sensing wipers don't actually sense rain and need to be manually turned on for the system to realize there is rain ie not functioning normally.
8. This was VERY bothersome. The falcon door closes and rests on our second row seat in the area of the shoulder rest so now the leather is creased and has a very nice carbon fiber imprint on it--ONLY on the passenger side so it appears to be missaligned. My concern is that the door is going to start ripping apart the leather.
9. This vanity one is just annoying, but we can't do the Christmas easter egg feature without it failing about 10 seconds in.

I have had my X since December and it has had a few minor issues fixed by the service centre.

I was quite worried before ordering it, but it has be no worse than any recent car.

My previous car was a Range Rover Sport, then 2 X5s before that and an Audi before that. I also have a 911.

I often remark that I would love a Lexus for the reliability and no hassle ownership experience, but certainly when I have driven the RX I have found it terminally dull to drive, and ultimately it is a car and I want to drive. Actually as a brand Lexus to me has been going backwards for some time and it is disappointing as more choice of good cars to buy would be a good thing.

On the other hand our previous car, the current model Range Rover Sport was a dream. I was very concerned about reliability but it seems much improved. Over my ownership it required the tailgate to be realigned and the mirrors to be reset, both done during annual service. As for material quality and a general feeling of luxury inside, I feel that Range Rover have surpassed the Mercedes S Class to be the nicest mass produced cars to sit inside.

Thus when people discuss reliability and quality on Tesla's I feel that many things get confused. Reliability wise it seems that it is very unusual for a Tesla to actually break down and strand the owner. Electric motors are inherently very reliable, so by this definition reliability is good.

When you think of the various gadgets on a car then that is another matter. Let's call this functionality, which is where many of the OP's issues seem to be.

Then there is material quality. Much as the Tesla is not as plush as my Range Rover was I find it quite acceptable and similar to other SUVs such as the Q7 or the XC90. Some areas are better, some worse.

Looking at the above list, most things seem easily fixed or just annoyances.

1. Funnily enough my steering wheel had a squeak which was fixed and now appears very slightly off centre. Clearly 10 degrees off centre would be annoying, but should be easily fixed.

2. This seems exaggerated. I use the horn babe once a month. Nearly always due to annoyance with someone else. I can't really think not having a horn would have been a safety issue more than a couple of times in the last 10 years.

3. Annoying but an easy fix.

4. I have never used the browser in the car. It is clearly a gimmick not designed to be used. Use your phone. Much as it is a function that isn't working well, I think the level of annoyance has to be linked to how useful it wold have been if it did work.

5. Definitely annoying and something that is more useful so you'd rather have working.

6. A gimmick again. I am guessing that every other car you have had just allowed manual opening and closing and assume that its still available.

7. Yup they don't work well at all. I always have to resort to manually hitting the end of the stalk which is annoying but no big deal.

8. Annoying, but ultimately Tesla's problem not yours and has not effect on the ability to use the car. If the door rips your seat they will have to give you a new seat. I suspect that the upholstery is more robust than you are thinking. It seems more likely that the seat is misaligned as surely the door cannot be that misaligned. Service centre should fix though.

9. Another gimmick that I don't plan to use. If a kid was hiding the door open button to make the doors flap I would give them a telling off. I know Tesla made it available so you would like to use it, but it has zero impact on your ability to use the car as a car.

Net net you have a few things that should be fixed by the service centre relatively easily and have no impact on your ability to use the car.

The things that do impact your ability to use the car are the app and bluetooth issue. I don't know if they are due to the new MCU.

I must say the answer from the service centre on the iPhones seems like BS. Some are too new and some are too old. I'd have told him in no uncertain terms that I am not a moron if he came out with that. As someone else said how the service centre deals with things has a big impaction your ownership. I had a few squeaks that needed fixed when the car was new and a door about 1 or 2mm out of alignment. That was it. Not only did they fix these in one service visit, but they gave me an explanation of ow they fixed them, something no other car has ever given me. Indeed other manufacturers have been good at fixing mechanical issues but awful at fixing rattles and squeaks.

Of all the cars I have had the Audi was the least reliable and had by far the worst dealer, Porsche is next least reliable. That was perhaps a local issue, the BMW and Range Rover dealer have been excellent. This makes a real difference and I think this may have added to your disappointment.

But ultimately is your dad enjoying driving and using the car. I like to drive it and enjoy the amount of space inside compared to my last car. A few rarely used features being unreliable wouldn't upset me much and I certainly wouldn't;t care what other people had to say about it. Take them for a drive in it hen see what they say.

Is you dad upset or does he enjoy it? I just ordered my parents a new BMW, I spent ages deciding what was important for them in owning a car. Then I gave them a list of cars to look at. They didn't pick the one I thought best met their needs, but its their car so that's the one I ordered. I would certainly have been worried that someone who had owned Lexus for 20 years liked the Lexus experience and it was risky to get them a car clearly likely to have more faults.

Reactions: Peteski
Or every 2 cars, who knows? All we know is that there are various issues which some people get and others don't. Some issues are trivial, some more serious.

Therein lies the problem. Inconsistency. Variable quality control. It'd be perfectly understandable if it's the same problem afflicting many cars. And, is there no QC check before vehicles are unleashed on the public? If yes, are "bad" cars getting dumped on service centers, hoping that some customers are more tolerant (aka "fanboyish") and don't mind accepting those cars? The others that customers refused, will be a burden on the service centers. I would think that it's better to not release cars that don't pass QC checks, keep them in Fremont until they're fixed. Everyone would be happier (customers, service center employees, stockholders, Elon), and the naysayers will have nothing to attack Tesla with.

Last edited: