Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing first week with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't care much for Lexus, but this story is kinda different than Tesla. Lexus has the recall applied to all those cars, so it's a consistent issue. With Tesla, your car maybe perfect, while the next car can be afflicted with multiple issues, and the next car will be in between with the severity of issues. There's no rhyme or reason, very haphazard QC.

I don't care much for Lexus, but this story is kinda different than Tesla. Lexus has the recall applied to all those cars, so it's a consistent issue. With Tesla, your car maybe perfect, while the next car can be afflicted with multiple issues, and the next car will be in between with the severity of issues. There's no rhyme or reason, very haphazard QC.

huh, better when all the cars are impacted rather than a few? :rolleyes:

huh, better when all the cars are impacted rather than a few? :rolleyes:

Please learn to read and comprehend the intent. If an issue is widespread, a cause can be pinpointed and the issue corrected. If different issues affect different cars to varying degree, that points to a lack of a system, be it assembly, quality control, human resources, .... A consumer afflicted with the former knows what to expect from a repair standpoint, whereas the latter will be a surprise, and it can show up at an inopportune time. Noone is saying "it's better when all the cars are impacted rather than a few".

Please learn to read and comprehend the intent. If an issue is widespread, a cause can be pinpointed and the issue corrected. If different issues affect different cars to varying degree, that points to a lack of a system, be it assembly, quality control, human resources, .... A consumer afflicted with the former knows what to expect from a repair standpoint, whereas the latter will be a surprise, and it can show up at an inopportune time. Noone is saying "it's better when all the cars are impacted rather than a few".

Hhhm, I crown you as the smartest guy on TMC with the rest of us dummies.

FWIW: I did your post and intent.

What’s amazing is how an “intelligent” person such as you can think that ALL of a vendor’s product failing (and one that can be catastrophic ie fuel leak) is better than the odd Tesla fail (which btw almost always gets fixed by Tesla service) is beyond me.

I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "the odd Tesla fail" when it's a specific failure but affects significant numbers of cars. Just look around here. Acceleration shudders, radio issues, Falcon wing sensors needing to be replaced, etc. And that's just in the X forum. None of it affects safety or driveability but they are still issues.

Hhhm, I crown you as the smartest guy on TMC with the rest of us dummies.

FWIW: I did your post and intent.

What’s amazing is how an “intelligent” person such as you can think that ALL of a vendor’s product failing (and one that can be catastrophic ie fuel leak) is better than the odd Tesla fail (which btw almost always gets fixed by Tesla service) is beyond me.

I definitely wouldn't characterize it as "the odd Tesla fail" when it's a specific failure but affects significant numbers of cars. Just look around here. Acceleration shudders, radio issues, Falcon wing sensors needing to be replaced, etc. And that's just in the X forum. None of it affects safety or driveability but they are still issues.

Since this is a Tesla forum the “noise” is amplified.

Do you have knowledge of Lexus’ National service history, Mercedes, BMW’s? Nope, I’m sure you don’t and I’m sure that if you could look at their national logs you would find window seal failures, moonroof leaks, electronics failing, etc.

I’ve owned them all and have had failures with each one.

To my point: a headline post in Lexus RX forum: Are there really that many issues with the RX? - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: spectrum
I got MX on Christmas week 2017 so basically had it for half year.
So far I visited SC at least 7 Times. Here is a list of problems
1 driver side squeaking noise when ever car’s body turns
2 front right sensor and right falcon wing sensor ghosting
3 front passenger’s window seal misaligned
4 cracked 3rd row vent
5 driver side door bottom seal loose
6 front passenger bottom door inside paint spot missing
7 rattling noise front passenger door
8 driver seat extremely loud noise when going from custom setting to easy entry
9 charging port too tight the charger gets stuck or it won’t charge
10*** rain poured inside car hitting 2nd row seats when falcon doors open after its been parked in rain
11 embarrassing loud squeaking sound from left falcon door when open or close

I know it’s a long list of problems but I would still get a MX in a heart beat
I have to say SC done a super job fixing all the problems
I’m just still waiting for the falcon door seal to fix problem 10, been waiting since feb but good thing it doesn’t rain much here in SoCal
I own many luxury cars but none can compare to my MX. I still have yet to drive a car as smooth, quiet, nimble, powerful, and stable as MX.
All the problems I’ve listed are minor problems to me, the most important thing I want from the car is SAFETY. I feel extremely safe driving my MX vs any other car

I have to say SC done a super job fixing all the problems
I’m just still waiting for the falcon door seal to fix problem 10, been waiting since feb but good thing it doesn’t rain much here in SoCal
I own many luxury cars but none can compare to my MX. I still have yet to drive a car as smooth, quiet, nimble, powerful, and stable as MX.
All the problems I’ve listed are minor problems to me, the most important thing I want from the car is SAFETY. I feel extremely safe driving my MX vs any other car

I've had a bit more luck with mine, just a couple of very minor issues on delivery. But as you say, the car itself is amazing and well worth any minor hassles that may arise. Given that it's a very ambitious and complicated vehicle with sensors, motors and computers all over the place, there is more potential for issues than in many other cars. Having said that, the actual drivetrain is amazingly simple and so you don't hear about many show stopping failures on the road. It's usually general build quality issues or problems relating to the FWDs, software or sensors. Many of which have been resolved or at least improved by the factory over time, which is often lost on the internet noise.

If this car was built by Lexus it probably would have more consistent build quality, but Lexus simply don't have the vision or balls to build a car like this! In fact nobody else does either, which is why Tesla is such a unique company.

8 driver seat extremely loud noise when going from custom setting to easy entry
9 charging port too tight the charger gets stuck or it won’t charge

We had both issues. Driver seat loud noise started a couple of months after ownership and it was only when the seats move forward. SC said it will be months before they get replacement parts. Reported: March/April. Expected Part: Mid August
The noise is embarrassing and I've to live with it.

Charging port too tight almost spoiled our trip as we couldn't supercharge until one stall finally worked.

We also are waiting for Tow Package since December and it looks like it will be a full year before we get. It was supposed to come with the car :mad:

Elon needs to hand over operations to someone else.. a Tesla Tim Cook. And take a break from expansion until all their processes, production line, service, parts, support and repair network can stabilize!

Reactions: alcibiades
What does that mean and how I do check if there's an issue with my sensors? Thanks
The sensor gives warnings (beeping)that there’s a car or obstacle in front when theres nothing there. The warnings are constant beeping for 3-5mins
It gets annoying when it became more frequent, you get big red word STOP on your driver’s monitor
The falcon door will not open since its sensor thinks there’s obstacle in front
The sensor malfunction after owning X for two months
I read some thread it could be the wrap I have done to the car but I have my X wrapped the day I drove it off the Delivery room
SC replaced both sensors quickly and I didn’t have any problem ever since

We had both issues. Driver seat loud noise started a couple of months after ownership and it was only when the seats move forward. SC said it will be months before they get replacement parts. Reported: March/April. Expected Part: Mid August
The noise is embarrassing and I've to live with it.

Charging port too tight almost spoiled our trip as we couldn't supercharge until one stall finally worked.

We also are waiting for Tow Package since December and it looks like it will be a full year before we get. It was supposed to come with the car :mad:

Elon needs to hand over operations to someone else.. a Tesla Tim Cook. And take a break from expansion until all their processes, production line, service, parts, support and repair network can stabilize!

My charge port issue was resolved super quickly since they knew exactly what’s wrong with it.
To be honest charge port issue was discovered the first night owning the car, I just thought it was normal but it was when I tried to supercharge the next day. I was having such hard time plugging the charger in that other Tesla owners came to my help. all of them tried charging it and came to the conclusion that my charge port is broken and I need to bring the car in.
So basically I brought my X in to SC just 2days of owning it but they fixed it in less than a hour
As for driver’s seat noise it’s not a deal breaker for me to enjoy my car. I’m glad SC was able to find the fault and they said they ordered me a replacement seat...although I don’t know if it’s back ordered but since I waited since feb for the falcon door seal, whats another couple of months won’t kill me
I love my X and would not drive any other car despite all the minor problems experienced

What does that mean and how I do check if there's an issue with my sensors? Thanks

You will know when they don't work. Door won't open correctly. The sensors in our 2018 MX pulled away from the doors due to heat. Our local SC replaced the sensors and brackets.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.54.59 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-29 at 1.54.59 PM.png
    46.6 KB · Views: 69
10*** rain poured inside car

I don't know what to make of this. it reminds me of those people in society who just love to be punished. Thank you sir may I have another!
Rain pouring inside of car? How is this ok??
You have far too many gremlins for a new luxury vehicle, I hope they get resolved

I don't know what to make of this. it reminds me of those people in society who just love to be punished. Thank you sir may I have another!
You have far too many gremlins for a new luxury vehicle, I hope they get resolved

Congratulations, you have added zero value to this entire thread and are officially the first person on my Ignore list. Have a nice day and enjoy your high-quality Ford.

What you can take from this is that it's an amazing car, despite any "gremlins". If it was a crap car, then people simply wouldn't put up with issues like this. And btw, Tesla fixed this problem with the door seals so now you actually get less rain in the car than you do with ordinary doors i.e. the FWDs act like umbrellas. It's quite a cool feature.

What you can take from this is that it's an amazing car, despite any "gremlins". If it was a crap car, then people simply wouldn't put up with issues like this. And btw, Tesla fixed this problem with the door seals so now you actually get less rain in the car than you do with ordinary doors i.e. the FWDs act like umbrellas. It's quite a cool feature.
Fixed or fixing the problem? I had to search out umbrella rain falcon doors to see how they operate in the rain.
Can see how those seals being slightly off can cause an issue. btw, I don't get rain on my seats unless it is quite windy.

since they are so amazing, do you believe that Tesla should replace all doors, front and back, on all models with Falcon Wing doors?

First delivery failed because of too many defects, second delivery was not great either but I figured I should take the car to secure the interest rate. 12 hours later and 7 miles and the car was back at the service center wednesday around lunch. They still have no idea what causes the "service needed: steering assist reduced" and have loaned me a Pathfinder :-(...

All manufacturers have issues and time will tell whether my Model X will be reliable or not but so far I have to say it is the worst car I have ever owned. I liked the car for the 20 minutes it worked...

Reactions: 1 person