Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing first week with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
6. Difficulty with the automatic open and close for garage that worked about 5/10 times.
I personally would never use this feature. The reason is the control for the vast majority of the garage doors is a single signal "GO". If the door is open it will close, if it is closed it will open.

If your driving home while the kids are playing in the garage/drive on their scooters w/ the door open, it will close.

Then you add in that code requires the door sensors to be between 4-6" off the ground, a height that is just under the rear of the car until it gets to the tires and the risk goes up.

There is just no way for it to be robust enough for my use. It's a party trick.

Heck, I managed to close the door on the back of my S the 2nd day - and I wasn't even using that feature - I was just stupid.

• Love
Reactions: X Fan
I personally would never use this feature. The reason is the control for the vast majority of the garage doors is a single signal "GO". If the door is open it will close, if it is closed it will open.

I was hoping I could just open and close the door manually from the main screen instead of fumbling around for the garage keyfob, but the programming doesn't seem to work for me. I can't get the car to learn the signal.

I was hoping I could just open and close the door manually from the main screen instead of fumbling around for the garage keyfob, but the programming doesn't seem to work for me. I can't get the car to learn the signal.
I read a suggestion - new batteries in the remote and open the frunk when programming.

What kind of opener do you have? I might be able to find the thread.

OP should've browsed through this forum BEFORE buying the X, especially as a present for his father. When you buy a Lexus, if it has a problem, you're surprised. When you buy a Tesla, if it doesn't have any issue, you breath a sigh of relief and count your lucky stars. The expectations should be lowered, way lowered, compared to other vehicles in the same price range. Does that mean Tesla vehicles are overpriced? Maybe, maybe not, depends on if one is a "fanboy", but I think most average people who are used to what ICE vehicles offer at different price brackets would consider Tesla vehicles overpriced and unreliable with poor quality, or at the very least, unpredictable quality control (some are excellent, others are horrible).

I read a suggestion - new batteries in the remote and open the frunk when programming.

What kind of opener do you have? I might be able to find the thread.

The garage remote I have is a 2 button model, but currently programmed to use a single button for open and close. If I press it once the door opens. If I press it again the door stops. If I press it a third time it closes etc. I doubt the remote needs new batteries as it's a pretty new door (less than 2 years old) although I don't know how the long the battery is supposed to last.

OP should've browsed through this forum BEFORE buying the X, especially as a present for his father. The expectations should be lowered, way lowered, compared to other vehicles in the same price range. Does that mean Tesla vehicles are overpriced? Maybe, maybe not, depends on if one is a "fanboy", but I think most average people who are used to what ICE vehicles offer at different price brackets would consider Tesla vehicles overpriced and unreliable with poor quality, or at the very least, unpredictable quality control (some are excellent, others are horrible).

I think you have to separate quality control from quality of design and materials. I actually believe the quality of materials etc in a current Tesla is very good and the quality of design is excellent, so if you are lucky enough to dodge the various quality control issues (or work patiently with your SC to resolve them) then you end up with an amazing car that beats the crap out of any ICE cars I've previously owned. Lexus has been mentioned in this thread as a quality benchmark, but even if they are screwed together perfectly every time, they are still seriously dull cars to drive! At least a Tesla has the potential to be amazing, even if it might not be out of the box due to poor QC.

Reactions: X Fan and davidc18
Agree, my delivery last night was OUTSTANDING. The team worked with me for over 2 hours (Portland, OR) to answer/address all my questions (finished at 8 PM), never rushed me and all I can say that I am a happy camper (now). Clearly expect some issues but willing to let the SC/Mobile Rangers help if needed, which I know they will. Oh yes, and the car is freakin awesome but it better be ;-)

Alright guys the sales people who worked with me prior to delivery (all were great by the way) have contacted me and are willing to help assuage some of the aforementioned issues with the service team. Perhaps, a few of you are correct and we should have done more research on the actual quality and expectation.

I guess having high expectations for a 100k car is apparently not the norm when it comes to Tesla? Our car feels like a beta and not completely worked out. We've never this number of issues on any of our cars including some of our family exotic and antiques.

I'm still hopeful this will be the perfect car for my father. Appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

1. I’m in the lucky ducky club. Late Feb 2018 build. No issues. Big grins.
2. My Model X just missed the getting the new MCU. My browser works usefully. My phone connects. My garage door automation works great.
3. The OP’s car has the new MCU. Tesla should have had all the bugs worked out before switching over, but they’ll get it right.

• Informative
Reactions: EarlyAdopter
Alright guys the sales people who worked with me prior to delivery (all were great by the way) have contacted me and are willing to help assuage some of the aforementioned issues with the service team. Perhaps, a few of you are correct and we should have done more research on the actual quality and expectation.

I guess having high expectations for a 100k car is apparently not the norm when it comes to Tesla? Our car feels like a beta and not completely worked out. We've never this number of issues on any of our cars including some of our family exotic and antiques.

I'm still hopeful this will be the perfect car for my father. Appreciate everyone's input. Thanks.

The big difference here is that you are paying a premium for new cutting edge EV technology so it’s not really fair to compare it directly against ICE equivalents, where all the tech is mature and economies of scale fully leveraged etc. Then on top of that Tesla only has 10 years experience of building cars, so it’s not that surprising that there are potential issues.

But the upside is a totally unique and fresh vehicle design. There is literally nothing else like the Model X on the road today and that has to be worth something! It makes pretty much all ICE vehicles in its size class look dull, boring and dated.

A little off topic, but I wanted to say that I have a 2016 Tesla 75D and a 2017 Chevy Bolt.

In 9 months of ownership, I've taken the Bolt to a service center exactly once - and that was for a free routine tire rotation. No other issues at all.

In my first 9 months of Tesla ownership, I took the car to the service center 3 times - none of which because the primary need was a rotation.

I love Tesla and support their mission, but I'm also a consumer who looks for the best EV deal.

Android Auto is superb. True one pedal driving is outstanding. The higher ride makes getting in and out of the car very easy. I like that the paint doesn't scratch/chip so easily. And Chevy was very modest about the actual range (rated at 238 miles, but I've gotten 270 very easily numerous times - something my Tesla, which usually fails to even meet rated range in my experience, has never once been capable of).

If my Bolt had autopilot I'd probably almost never drive the Tesla.

I am extremely excited to see what some of the competition does over the next few years. I'll probably be trading my Tesla for a competitor if they don't get these ridiculous quality issues under control before then.

hate to see u have these issues @Radonculous and hope Tesla resolves everything soon.

picked up our X a couple of weeks ago and it's been excellent thus far and pretty pleased with the overall build quality of the car after worrying about the QA issues that i was reading about.

it is concerning about the wide variance of QA issues that seem to still be occurring. some cars seem to be perfect and then some with a host of issues

If your driving home while the kids are playing in the garage/drive on their scooters w/ the door open, it will close.

Then you add in that code requires the door sensors to be between 4-6" off the ground, a height that is just under the rear of the car until it gets to the tires and the risk goes up.

There is just no way for it to be robust enough for my use. It's a party trick.

Heck, I managed to close the door on the back of my S the 2nd day - and I wasn't even using that feature - I was just stupid.

that's weird bc the auto open/close home link garage feature is one of the things i really luv and use it everyday without fail.

that's weird bc the auto open/close home link garage feature is one of the things i really luv and use it everyday without fail.

I wouldn’t know since I am awaiting my first Tesla, but from experience driving them, I think whether or not this works well depends largely on the shape of your driveway relative to the garage, interference, garage door opener signal distance, and speed at which you leave or enter the vicinity of your garage.

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
I wouldn’t know since I am awaiting my first Tesla, but from experience driving them, I think whether or not this works well depends largely on the shape of your driveway relative to the garage, interference, garage door opener signal distance, and speed at which you leave or enter the vicinity of your garage.

Could be, but I use this on both Teslas and it works almost always (nothing is always with a Tesla ;))

My garage is in an alleyway, so I approach and depart from the side. My Tesla always automatically opens the door from about 40 feet away. It always closes the door from about 30 feet away. I do feel I'm living somewhat dangerously, since there is no guarantee it will never decide to close on the car. But it does always 'boing' before opening or closing and I could manually override if I'm in an unfortunate place.

OP should've browsed through this forum BEFORE buying the X, especially as a present for his father. When you buy a Lexus, if it has a problem, you're surprised. When you buy a Tesla, if it doesn't have any issue, you breath a sigh of relief and count your lucky stars. The expectations should be lowered, way lowered, compared to other vehicles in the same price range. Does that mean Tesla vehicles are overpriced? Maybe, maybe not, depends on if one is a "fanboy", but I think most average people who are used to what ICE vehicles offer at different price brackets would consider Tesla vehicles overpriced and unreliable with poor quality, or at the very least, unpredictable quality control (some are excellent, others are horrible).

The one thing you implied, but did not specifically mention is "owner variance". I would almost be willing to say that if you have a Tesla that is "perfect", or has "never had an issue" it is as much perception as it is reality. I have 2 friends with Models Ss that both claim they have never had an issue and all I have to do is walk around their cars and ride in them for a mile and I can find a dozen. Some people don't notice as much as others, or use all the features (TBH if FM radio didn't work I would have no idea for example). I am a "high maintenance owner" of any car I buy and have found many, many things wrong with both of mine and continue to have things fixed (just recently had center screen replaced due to yellowing on my S).

I definitely agree though, that even with all the issues I have had there is no way I am buying an ICE again. Now a Porsche Mission E, or a Jaguar iPace, well....