Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very disappointing first week with Model X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fixed or fixing the problem?

Fixed on mine, I don't have any issues when it rains. Being hypercritical I might get the odd drip from the top centre if it's hammering down with rain and I open the boot at the same time, but our other car with normal doors gets a LOT more rain inside - usually get the whole inside of the door soaked.

Interesting question about the front doors. The big advantage with the rear FWDs is when you have small kids as we do. No more bending when fastening them in and no more footmarks all over the door cards as they scramble in and out. Access is really amazing. But those advantages are not so obvious in the front and the overall complexity and weight is certainly an issue. So I think it's a pretty good compromise overall.

But you don't really care do you, lol.

Fixed on mine, I don't have any issues when it rains. Being hypercritical I might get the odd drip from the top centre if it's hammering down with rain and I open the boot at the same time, but our other car with normal doors gets a LOT more rain inside - usually get the whole inside of the door soaked.

Interesting question about the front doors. The big advantage with the rear FWDs is when you have small kids as we do. No more bending when fastening them in and no more footmarks all over the door cards as they scramble in and out. Access is really amazing. But those advantages are not so obvious in the front and the overall complexity and weight is certainly an issue. So I think it's a pretty good compromise overall.

But you don't really care do you, lol.

I do because it is an interesting topic. It will be interesting as to what Musk will do... as he has expressed regrets over model x overengineering(yea the doors)
but has said in the past that the model Y will have FWD. Will he still do it?

I do because it is an interesting topic. It will be interesting as to what Musk will do... as he has expressed regrets over model x overengineering(yea the doors)
but has said in the past that the model Y will have FWD. Will he still do it?

My personal view is that the cost and complexity of FWDs will simply be too much for the Model Y at a competitive price point, so I would be very surprised to see them appear on that car - at least in the form we have seen on the X.

For me the big question is will Tesla retain FWDs on the next gen Model X, given all the hassle they went through first time around? I expect they will do something slightly different and simplified. For sure the access is much better with FWDs for the end user (I was actually surprised how good they are in the real world) but the cost is high, production complicated and a real headache for the service centres! Considering there was no public demand for FWDs beforehand, it was a very bold decision to go with them in the first place! You could even say it was a stupid decision, but they do give the X a very unique character and showcase the sheer ambition of the whole project. Other vehicles in its class seem pretty dull in comparison, which is one of the reasons I chose the X, but the doors certainly weren't a major factor in my decision.

The only unforgivable sin the X has that will likely have me selling it before the 4 year warranty ends is that God forsaken shudder that requires replacing the front axles every 6k miles. I mean, seriously?? Completely unacceptable.

Even Tesla itself says there is no fix and that right now just replacing it with the exact same axles that will eventually go bad is all they can do. Sounds great for now until it's out of warranty. Not too many people willing to shell out a few grand twice a year for a problem that may never have a fix.

And before everyone points it out, I'm aware that they're "working on a permanent fix". Sounded good back in late 2016 but 2 years later, starting to believe that's never gonna happen. Worse yet, the SC told me that IF the fix does come after your out of the basic warranty, it wouldn't be considered a recall so you would have to pay for the revised axles/hardware out of pocket. I was speechless.

Dont get me wrong guys, I love the X and it's been a great (albeit quirky) vehicle, but a serious recurring issue like this that isn't getting attention makes me think theres no way I'd own this vehicle out of warranty. I'd hate to lose the space and practicality of the X, but it has me thinking of just reverting to an S.

The only unforgivable sin the X has that will likely have me selling it before the 4 year warranty ends is that God forsaken shudder that requires replacing the front axles every 6k miles. I mean, seriously?? Completely unacceptable.

Even Tesla itself says there is no fix and that right now just replacing it with the exact same axles that will eventually go bad is all they can do. Sounds great for now until it's out of warranty. Not too many people willing to shell out a few grand twice a year for a problem that may never have a fix.

And before everyone points it out, I'm aware that they're "working on a permanent fix". Sounded good back in late 2016 but 2 years later, starting to believe that's never gonna happen. Worse yet, the SC told me that IF the fix does come after your out of the basic warranty, it wouldn't be considered a recall so you would have to pay for the revised axles/hardware out of pocket. I was speechless.

Dont get me wrong guys, I love the X and it's been a great (albeit quirky) vehicle, but a serious recurring issue like this that isn't getting attention makes me think theres no way I'd own this vehicle out of warranty. I'd hate to lose the space and practicality of the X, but it has me thinking of just reverting to an S.

What puzzles me about the "shudder" is that it doesn't appear to affect all cars. Is yours a P100D? We have a 2018 X 75D and it's never had any sign of a shudder, even at standard ride height (although I run it low most of the time). So either they've made some changes in production or it's a problem afflicting mainly "Performance" cars with all the extra torque on tap.

Having said that I've only just reached 6K miles, so maybe too early to judge!

What puzzles me about the "shudder" is that it doesn't appear to affect all cars. Is yours a P100D? We have a 2018 X 75D and it's never had any sign of a shudder, even at standard ride height (although I run it low most of the time). So either they've made some changes in production or it's a problem afflicting mainly "Performance" cars with all the extra torque on tap.

Same here. Just hit 6k on our 2018 X100D no shudder so far.

this "shudder" is apparently normal and it happens in my P90D when accelerating with enthusiasm at any ride height above "very low"...

i had them replaced at about 10K miles as they had never been replaced with the "new" ones apparently, but this is a design flaw apparently.

this "shudder" is apparently normal and it happens in my P90D when accelerating with enthusiasm at any ride height above "very low"...

i had them replaced at about 10K miles as they had never been replaced with the "new" ones apparently, but this is a design flaw apparently.

Yeah, I realise it's a design flaw, which is why I'm wondering why I'm not getting it. Maybe I just haven't worn out the shafts/joints yet?

No, in fact I dont even have a Performance model. I have a 2016 90D. Earlier VIN in the 4000s. However, my own research on the subject does show that it wasnt only early VINs. I've heard a number of 2017s already dealing with it. 90 and 100 models seems to be more prevalent and at least half the people I've talked to or heard about were Performance models, making it seem like a less significant factor.

The SC told me that the suspension geometry was designed on the very low setting and that's why the least axle wear occurs when your low. As everyone else, I was advised to keep it low for most driving and especially for launches and hard acceleration. Sounds great save for dem tires.

My 1st issue with the shudder didnt show until after 10K miles, and I'm already heading back tomorrow for another set of axles at 16k miles. I consider myself to be an average driver. I dont race, if I am planning the occasional launch it's from very low, and I'm normally under 325 kw/mi average so I'm clearly not a grand prix driver. I normally drive on standard height and auto lower at 60mph. After the 1st set was changed out, I took special care not to drive as hard and have really babied it for the most part only to have it come back. The rhyme and reason of the frequency which X's experience it continues to perplex me since, like others have said, all Xs are supposed to experience it but yet clearly some dont.

What's even stranger about it would be the point at which it first rears its ugly face to each vehicle. Some are almost off the showroom floor, others are a good 10k to 15k miles in. I dont get it at all. Just a heada up tho...its a gradual initial onset. You'll originally feel like the acceleration is a hair lumpy but nothing will shake or vibrate, then you'll start to notice that it's always between 25 to 40ish MPH only. Then, once it has you attention, (just like a paint chip on your car) it will become more and more obvious every time you drive anywhere. Finally...you get really mad when you realize you've just been christened as the newest member of the (growingly less exclusive) club.

I keep telling me it's just a car and enjoy it for a season. Because really, if you try to look at it any other way, it just makes you more angry.

it will likely never effect your vehicle as it's not a "P" model which subjects the front axles to intense amounts of torque right off the bat instead of gradually...

Yep, that was my question. Is this a "P" issue only? To be honest, anything this big putting down 700+ hp with massive instant torque is likely to wear out the mechanical parts in pretty short order! So I'm not that surprised the halfshafts are a weak point.

No, in fact I dont even have a Performance model. I have a 2016 90D. Earlier VIN in the 4000s. However, my own research on the subject does show that it wasnt only early VINs. I've heard a number of 2017s already dealing with it. 90 and 100 models seems to be more prevalent and at least half the people I've talked to or heard about were Performance models, making it seem like a less significant factor.

The SC told me that the suspension geometry was designed on the very low setting and that's why the least axle wear occurs when your low. As everyone else, I was advised to keep it low for most driving and especially for launches and hard acceleration. Sounds great save for dem tires.

My 1st issue with the shudder didnt show until after 10K miles, and I'm already heading back tomorrow for another set of axles at 16k miles. I consider myself to be an average driver. I dont race, if I am planning the occasional launch it's from very low, and I'm normally under 325 kw/mi average so I'm clearly not a grand prix driver. I normally drive on standard height and auto lower at 60mph. After the 1st set was changed out, I took special care not to drive as hard and have really babied it for the most part only to have it come back. The rhyme and reason of the frequency which X's experience it continues to perplex me since, like others have said, all Xs are supposed to experience it but yet clearly some dont.

What's even stranger about it would be the point at which it first rears its ugly face to each vehicle. Some are almost off the showroom floor, others are a good 10k to 15k miles in. I dont get it at all. Just a heada up tho...its a gradual initial onset. You'll originally feel like the acceleration is a hair lumpy but nothing will shake or vibrate, then you'll start to notice that it's always between 25 to 40ish MPH only. Then, once it has you attention, (just like a paint chip on your car) it will become more and more obvious every time you drive anywhere. Finally...you get really mad when you realize you've just been christened as the newest member of the (growingly less exclusive) club.

I keep telling me it's just a car and enjoy it for a season. Because really, if you try to look at it any other way, it just makes you more angry.

Okay, so it could happen to any spec Model X. I'm only on 6K miles, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed! I run it on low setting all the time in everyday driving, which should help a bit. Tyre wear is even for me too on the low setting, so looks like the factory have tweaked the geometry at some point to avoid the wear issue in low.

Okay, so it could happen to any spec Model X. I'm only on 6K miles, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed! I run it on low setting all the time in everyday driving, which should help a bit. Tyre wear is even for me too on the low setting, so looks like the factory have tweaked the geometry at some point to avoid the wear issue in low.
i drive in "very low" all day everyday. maybe a little harsher ride on some roads, but it looks mean! (and it doesn't wobble under acceleration, lol)

tire wear is even as well...

• Love
Reactions: P85_DA
Late 2017 X 100D. It shuddered the one or two times I did a launch from a stop sign early on and never tried it again. Doesn't inspire any confidence like Model S does. Didn't realize it was a design flaw. Jaysus.