Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Disappointing Trip Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've taken several road trips in my 2018 MS 100D. The Supercharging has been mixed, but mostly good. However, my trip from Palm Beach FL to Atlanta GA on June 28 was horrible. I should have only needed to make 3 Supercharger stops, but ended up having to make 5. Charging rates at all of the locations were incredibly slow (11-44 KW mostly)! And that was starting from medium to low SOC and getting no where near even 80% charge. This added 1.5 hours driving time to my trip. If this was typical for me, I would never take my Tesla on another road trip, but so far, it has been an aberration. Anyone else ever experience this kind of Supercharging fiasco over a long day trip???

I've taken several road trips in my 2018 MS 100D. The Supercharging has been mixed, but mostly good. However, my trip from Palm Beach FL to Atlanta GA on June 28 was horrible. I should have only needed to make 3 Supercharger stops, but ended up having to make 5. Charging rates at all of the locations were incredibly slow (11-44 KW mostly)! And that was starting from medium to low SOC and getting no where near even 80% charge. This added 1.5 hours driving time to my trip. If this was typical for me, I would never take my Tesla on another road trip, but so far, it has been an aberration. Anyone else ever experience this kind of Supercharging fiasco over a long day trip???

v2 stations, v3 stations, or a mix?

v2 Superchargers often have reduced charge speeds in the summer heat, especially if they were just used - I think it is the plug temperature limiting output. v3 with liquid cooled cables and plugs shouldn’t have that problem.

There are several thread lately talking about Tesla reducing the charge rates of older cars in a firmware update, but I think that’s mostly the original chemistry 85s and 60s.

• Informative
Reactions: BrokerDon
It shouldn't take that long to charge to 80%.

It's possible that your battery is worn out or being capped.

There's a similar report at:

Tesla offers no guarantees or assurances on battery for Model S or X

It sounds like if we want a fast charging rate, we need to trade in our car every few years.

In the infrequent cases where I charge to 100% at home for a trip, I still get 318 miles, which is what I got when I first picked up the car. So, I don't think the battery is shot.

v2 stations, v3 stations, or a mix?

v2 Superchargers often have reduced charge speeds in the summer heat, especially if they were just used - I think it is the plug temperature limiting output. v3 with liquid cooled cables and plugs shouldn’t have that problem.

There are several thread lately talking about Tesla reducing the charge rates of older cars in a firmware update, but I think that’s mostly the original chemistry 85s and 60s.

I believe they were all V2 chargers.