Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

very errant trip meters

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I started another thread on this in early-January:

Trip meters not updating in 0.1 increments

The latest craziness I saw is drastically different energy consumption numbers (Wh/mi) between Trip Meter A and Current Trip, while both have identical distance:
Two questions about this: What firmware version were you on when you saw that, and when did you reset trip meter A? I see that trip A and Current Trip both show 3.3 mi, but I'm wondering if you reset trip A, then stayed put for a while, then started driving. I'm not sure if the Current Trip meter starts counting when the car is turned on or when you put it in Drive. If it's the latter, the energy consumed while sitting still might have contributed to the higher Wh/mi. Or if you were on a version earlier than 2.12.45, you might have been affected by the same bug that caused the consumption graph to jump around.

Two questions about this: What firmware version were you on when you saw that, and when did you reset trip meter A? I see that trip A and Current Trip both show 3.3 mi, but I'm wondering if you reset trip A, then stayed put for a while, then started driving. I'm not sure if the Current Trip meter starts counting when the car is turned on or when you put it in Drive. If it's the latter, the energy consumed while sitting still might have contributed to the higher Wh/mi. Or if you were on a version earlier than 2.12.45, you might have been affected by the same bug that caused the consumption graph to jump around.

I was (and still am) on 2.11.54 - this just happened yesterday.
On your second question, I reset trip meter A as soon as I got going and immediately entered a freeway entrance ramp and went to 75mph (which is why only 2 minutes had elapsed, and consumption is rather high).

I was (and still am) on 2.11.54 - this just happened yesterday.
On your second question, I reset trip meter A as soon as I got going and immediately entered a freeway entrance ramp and went to 75mph (which is why only 2 minutes had elapsed, and consumption is rather high).
OK, try it again once you get 2.12.45 or later - that fixed another bug relating to tracking consumption, so it might have fixed the trip odometer issue too.

I had these symptoms too. At one point the miles "since last charge" showed less than miles "current trip." In-flight refueling anybody?
I haven't noticed any glitches since 2.12.45 either. I've got another update not installed yet, probably the 126.

2.12.126 has not fixed it. Every 1.7 to 4 km irregularly but frequently, the trip meter(s) skip(s) 0.1 or 0.2 km. This must be tried at high speed, which is the condition under which I've noticed the counting still doesn't work.

Interesting, I did try it at highway speeds (over 60mph, sometimes 80mph) several times now, and it was still incrementing properly at 0.1-mile intervals.

2.12.126 has not fixed it. Every 1.7 to 4 km irregularly but frequently, the trip meter(s) skip(s) 0.1 or 0.2 km. This must be tried at high speed, which is the condition under which I've noticed the counting still doesn't work.

Yes, agreed Paul. I also see this. At some point the distance may "catch up", but W/KM is still funky.
I'm on 2.10.71 with AP

@rapoport3a - I understand what you're describing but wondering if it's possible that you are seeing slightly different symptoms. It may be that at sustained high speed it can not increment at 0.1km and occasionally increments at 0.2km but is still accurate for both distance and energy consumption (that is +/- 0.1km instead of +/- 0.05km). Are your energy consumption numbers showing what they should? That is if you start with two or more trip meters at zero, do they show the same Wh/km?

Before 2.12.45 (and apparently 2.12.126 as well), I was seeing the trip meter(s) freeze for long periods and as a result completely miss collecting consumption data. In this case it would even skip ahead by 3km or 4km beyond what I'd actually travelled, then lag behind only to catch up again later. All the while, the consumption numbers would remain wildly different and occasionally move in opposite directions, up or down.

Travelling 51.5km to work and seeing a trip meter show I'd gone 54.8km made me feel like there were issues with space-time or gravity waves. I'm sure by someone's frame of reference I'd actually travelled 54.8km in the opposite direction ;)

The Wh/km are the same for trip meters starting out at the same time, but they're in whole numbers only, so not much help in the odometer problem --- or that part of the problem has been fixed. Surely the meters ought to be able to figure out what 0.1 km is. Like another poster, I hypothesize they're calculating only in miles and introducing a roundoff error that accumulates and is corrected once in a while. How well it's corrected, I don't know.

An odometer is not rocket science, in the common parlance.

@rapoport3a - Right you are. Odometers are not rocket science. The more I see of these releases and the poor regression testing, the more I think Tesla has allowed their software code to become overly complex or software engineering has lost control, no QC, no QA. Far too many bugs for functionality that had been working fine. I'm wishing I never upgraded since v5.8! It wasn't perfect but everything since then has introduced something that had to be fixed and usually arrived with a new "opportunity".

I really think this latest bug has been fixed (what ever fixed means) and what you're seeing is something different. Whole numbers or not, I had been seeing Wh/km discrepancies of up to 50Wh/km and more over short distances.

As noted earlier, 2.12.126 non Auto-Pilot did not fix it, not for me. Ask a passenger to watch a trip meter for 5 or 10 km. I just received a later update and will report back when I know what it does, although it took only 10 minutes to install and is probably too soon for a fix.

As noted earlier, 2.12.126 non Auto-Pilot did not fix it, not for me. Ask a passenger to watch a trip meter for 5 or 10 km. I just received a later update and will report back when I know what it does, although it took only 10 minutes to install and is probably too soon for a fix.
This thread and your original post are talking about two unrelated issues: One where the trip meters sometimes increment by 0.2 km, and one where the trip meters and energy graphs jump around somewhat randomly, particularly at highway speeds. From what I can see, the first bug has been there for a long time and is still there, whereas the second was introduced in 7.0 or 7.1 and was fixed in 2.12.45.