Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very few Super Chargers in the Fremont/South Bay

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last weekend I visited the San Jose, CA/South Bay area, driving from Southern Oregon. I only found two Super Charger locations, one at the factory and the other in Mountain View. Both had 30-60 minute waits before I could get to get a charger. There were a number of locations for slow or overnight charging- not what I needed on vacation. The service center and sales office were no help and no Super Chargers. This is sad given this is the home turf for Tesla. Any comments or advice?

I usually use a CHAdeMO adapter for fast charging during the day in the bay area. The superchargers are usually pretty empty late in the evening, if charging at 10pm or midnight works for you. There are also Superchargers in San Mateo, but those are busy as well.

A few thoughts:

1. If you're on vacation, maybe you can make do with (slower) overnight charging whereever you're staying. That's what destination chargers are for. Last spring I did a trip from the Bay Area to San Diego, we used Superchargers in transit with a destination charger at our hotel in San Diego. It was "only" a HPWC at 30A but that was perfectly sufficient for us. Superchargers are most useful when you need to charge quickly (like you're on a road trip and you need to charge right now to get to your next charging stop). Public chargers can be found on PlugShare.

2. There are a few Superchargers that, while not exactly in the South Bay, could be useful, such as Dublin, San Mateo, San Mateo Bridgepointe Center, or Gilroy, depending where one is traveling. These are visible to you on the in-car navigation, the Tesla Web site (www.tesla.com/findus), and various trip planning Web sites and apps. Admittedly the Superchargers in the Bay Area are quite busy, and I pretty much never use them (nor do I need to). If I'm travelling outside the Bay Area, my first charging stop is usually well outside the Bay Area itself.

3. More Superchargers are under construction (doesn't help you now but for the future), such as Cupertino, Sunnyvale, and Fremont Hub. supercharge.info has some unofficial pointers to ones that are known.

Bruce.

Reactions: gaswalla
Actually there are at least eleven superchargers within 60 miles of San Jose. But during weekends and even during the weekdays, most are near capacity. Usually less congested later in the evenings than during the day. As mentioned above, plan accordingly.

Attachments

• 20171228_145617.jpg
    20171228_145617.jpg
    688.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 20171228_145625.jpg
    20171228_145625.jpg
    768.9 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: roblab
There are two Superchargers in San Mateo. Did you try them ? Availability has become a bit better since they opened the second Supercharger there. But in general, I agree. The Superchargers in Bay Area are crazy busy. I think Dublin, Mt. View, and Fremont are all among top 5 used Superchargers worldwide. Thankfully I don't have to worry about it much, since I charge at home. But will be a huge issue when Model 3 rollout hits peak.