Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very frustrated first-time owner

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I love EVs. My other car is a PHEV and I traded in a normal hybrid for a Model 3 SR+. It's the most expensive car I've ever bought. I was super excited to get my first full EV and obsessively checked the order page every day for a VIN. My car was delivered on July 24 2019.

Within less than 2 weeks its first issue appeared.

The rear passenger side window loves to drop about 3" on its own overnight in my garage, and sometimes at the office. It's done that at least 8 times since the first occurrence.

My first thought was that this was human error. I made a point of being super careful to ensure that neither my body nor my clothes came into contact with the window switches when exiting the car. After closing the door, I walked around the car to make sure all windows were closed.

Despite those precautions, the window still dropped on its own. Also, the fact that it only dropped about 3", and not all the way down, further suggests that this wasn't human error, since hitting the switch by accident on a one-touch system would make the window go all the way down.

Additionally, the rear passenger side door doesn't swing out very smoothly - there's more resistance than with the front doors. This suggests that the door is misaligned and there is excess pressure being exerted against the frameless window, causing it to mistakenly sense an obstruction and lower itself for safety (this is a standard feature in all one-touch systems to prevent fingers from getting crushed). Just a hypothesis until I can get an expert to confirm.

I booked an appointment with the only SC in town (a half hour drive away) and brought my car in today (August 16). Before bringing in the car, I emailed a Tesla rep about the problem and we exchanged messages many times, where I documented the exact time and date I parked and locked my car, and the time I came back to find the rear window lowered by 3" on its own. The rep told me that this info would be communicated to the SC techs.

When I brought the car to the SC, the technician was absolutely uninterested and inept. He had not received any communication about my issue from the rep as promised, and tried dismissing the problem as human error. After I showed him the stiffness of the door swinging, he relented and agreed to work on the car. I picked up a rental from a nearby Enterprise and went on my way.

4 hours later, the app notified me that the car was ready. Overjoyed, I returned the Enterprise rental and returned to the SC... only to be told that since the problem "couldn't be replicated", nothing was done. They didn't even try. Yet the battery charge had dropped at least 10 km, indicating they'd driven the car around a bit, despite the problem having nothing to do with motion. The technician said that a mobile tech would be sent out at a later date (why didn't they do this earlier?!) but didn't provide an exact date.

My first Tesla service experience was hands down the WORST I've ever had - I've received superior service from poorly-reviewed Ford dealerships! This is unacceptable and undermines any argument that Tesla-owned stores/SCs are better for the consumer than franchised dealers. In fact, when there is literally only 1 Tesla SC for the entire province (an area 6x that of Great Britain), that kind of creates a monopoly, doesn't it?

The car is beautiful and fun to drive. But the fact that such a basic feature (a window staying closed when the car is parked and locked with no one inside) doesn't work properly is simply unacceptable. Furthermore, I live in the Pacific Northwest which sees frequent rain for at least 1/3 of the year - what if the window rolled itself down outside and allowed rain to get inside and ruin the interior? I'm also far from the only one with this problem - a simple Google search reviews it's happened to others since at least early 2018.

I want Tesla to succeed as that means EVs in general are succeeding. But if this is the experience that first-time buyers receive, that doesn't bode well for the future.

Sorry to read you are having this trouble. But at least a service center is not that far. Don't get frustrated, does not help a bit.

Would you say the windows lowers by itself more than what the other rear window does when you open the other door? If same, maybe the sensor for the door closed thinks the door starts opening and lowers it?

What if you place on the inside of the malfunctioning window a suction cups (like those used for example to hold a side window shade) very low on the window so if the window tries to roll down on its own the suction cup pushes against the plastic of the... "arm rest"(?) and does not allow it.

Do you have any cameras you could use to document the window opening? A dash cam w/motion sensor? A security cam? A GoPro? Get some video proof, that may help with the SC. Why didn't they keep it overnight to see that the window opens?

Do the SCs send out surveys post-service, like car dealerships?

Eh, the service center being "not that far" is not exactly a consolation given that their "service" was basically nonexistent :(

The window lowers itself by noticeably more than the standard distance that the window drops when opening the door.

I'll probably set up a camera to record the outside of the car in my garage so I have some proof to show the SC. I have no idea why the SC refused to keep the car overnight - the technician's attitude was simply unacceptable. If he demonstrated that attitude in my office he'd have been fired on the spot. Heck, even fast food restaurants have more professional staff.

As for links:
Phantom Window Rolling All the Way Down | Tesla
Spontaneous window roll-down. Anybody else have this? | Tesla
Phantom window roll down | Tesla

I should note that I've tried recalibrating that window per the instruction manual at least 5 times to no avail.

Even if it were really human error, that's still a serious design flaw. Imagine if you've been using the same amount of force to close a car door for the last 30 years, then with your new car you have to close it gently with your pinky finger otherwise something doesn't work. I don't think forcing people to radically change their body motions is reasonable in the least.

Last edited:
This is just the beginning, sorry bud. There are many threads now of piss poor service at the service centers. Not sure what the laws are in Vancouver, but make sure you document every single thing.

I'm in month 5 and already had 8 service appointments. Many because they claim to have fixed it, but didn't, or there was actually more damage done while in service..... The technicians are not the best in the business (definitely compared to luxury brands) and are probably overwhelmed. They're being paid hourly instead of per job which is different from other dealers but I don't think it's really working.

If you can, get the manager's direct contact information because soon they will start shutting down the communication lines so all you can do is make an appointment and can't reach a single person.

Reactions: 0cylinder