Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VERY FRUSTRATED HELP!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sooo I’m scheduled now to take delivery on my M3 LR 2/26. The SA who called me just now (which isn’t even the one I’ve been working with) (she never calls me back by the way) said my car was built 2/5 so would not have updated center console etc. When I asked him how long it would be to wait for the updated interior he said earliest would be April!!! Keep in mind this is NOT an MYP model. From everything I’ve read and seen people have already taken delivery of new model. Is it maybe that I’m on east coast? DC area? Has anyone else on east coast gotten updated MY recently? I’m extremely unhappy with service so far. Communication poorly lacking AND my husband ordered an M3 we’re spending $100 grand at this place!!!! Any thoughts would be great!!!!!

The updated features on the Long Range Model Y that are in play included:

Heated steering wheel (every new Model Y should have this now)
Updated center console
Updated headlights
82 kWh battery pack versus the original 78kWh battery pack (showing up on Performance Model Y)

Let your Sales Advisor know which of these are non-negotiable.

Updated center console
Updated headlights
82 kWh battery pack versus the original 78kWh battery pack (showing up on Performance Model Y)

Yeah I told him battery pack and center console and he said it would be April which seems like a long time given people are already getting new updated MY’s. I’m wondering if I shouldn’t try going to a different sales center.

From what I've gathered looking at this and other forums (and based on my own experience when I was trying to schedule delivery), the Model Y is currently only being built out of Fremont (for all non-China markets) and is built in various batches for different locations supplied by Fremont throughout the quarter.

Bearing in mind that Tesla generally wants to sell whatever it builds within the same quarter. They will typically start building for farther locations like the East Coast or Canada at the beginning of quarters (since it takes longer to then ship cars there) and then start to move progressively inwards back towards the factory as the quarter progresses (mid-west, then Texas, Nevada, then SoCal, then NorCal, etc.)

That's not to say that cars are not delivered for a location outside of these windows (for example, there are inventory cars, maybe factory rework cars, etc.), but it does seem that at least the bulk of the cars that go out as "fresh builds" follow that general pattern.

So yes, it's possible what they are telling you is correct. They basically are telling you that all they have available is what they have built and shipped now for your geographical location in the current batch, and if you let the current match go, you may have to wait until next quarter when they do the next push for your geography.

It doesn't mean that there cannot be exceptions, I think they try to be pessimistic with the timelines when setting expectations, and its possible that if you unmatch yourself from the current car you might be re-assigned to a later build in the same batch, but that would be a big gamble, and there is the very real possibility if you let the current car go, you'd have to wait until the next quarter push for your area to get assigned to another one.

Yeah I told him battery pack and center console and he said it would be April which seems like a long time given people are already getting new updated MY’s. I’m wondering if I shouldn’t try going to a different sales center.
If you had to pick one; battery pack or center console which one would you pick? The additional capacity of the new battery is like ~4kWh, so maybe 15 miles additional range. Plus, there is information that the new battery pack uses cells that charge more slowly than the current battery cells when using a SuperCharger.

From what I've gathered looking at this and other forums (and based on my own experience when I was trying to schedule delivery), the Model Y is currently only being built out of Fremont (for all non-China markets) and is built in various batches for different locations supplied by Fremont throughout the quarter.

Bearing in mind that Tesla generally wants to sell whatever it builds within the same quarter. They will typically start building for farther locations like the East Coast or Canada at the beginning of quarters (since it takes longer to then ship cars there) and then start to move progressively inwards back towards the factory as the quarter progresses (mid-west, then Texas, Nevada, then SoCal, then NorCal, etc.)

That's not to say that cars are not delivered for a location outside of these windows (for example, there are inventory cars, maybe factory rework cars, etc.), but it does seem that at least the bulk of the cars that go out as "fresh builds" follow that general pattern.

So yes, it's possible what they are telling you is correct. They basically are telling you that all they have available is what they have built and shipped now for your geographical location in the current batch, and if you let the current match go, you may have to wait until next quarter when they do the next push for your geography.

It doesn't mean that there cannot be exceptions, I think they try to be pessimistic with the timelines when setting expectations, and its possible that if you unmatch yourself from the current car you might be re-assigned to a later build in the same batch, but that would be a big gamble, and there is the very real possibility if you let the current car go, you'd have to wait until the next quarter push for your area to get assigned to another one.
This is soooooo helpful!!! You should be my Tesla SA!!! That clears up a lot!!!

• Love
Reactions: X-pilot and TX_Flux
Sooo I’m scheduled now to take delivery on my M3 LR 2/26. The SA who called me just now (which isn’t even the one I’ve been working with) (she never calls me back by the way) said my car was built 2/5 so would not have updated center console etc. When I asked him how long it would be to wait for the updated interior he said earliest would be April!!! Keep in mind this is NOT an MYP model. From everything I’ve read and seen people have already taken delivery of new model. Is it maybe that I’m on east coast? DC area? Has anyone else on east coast gotten updated MY recently? I’m extremely unhappy with service so far. Communication poorly lacking AND my husband ordered an M3 we’re spending $100 grand at this place!!!! Any thoughts would be great!!!!!

The cars are not custom made. When you order they don't spin the machines up in CA and start to work on your car. They will make batches of configurations. Paint color, interior color, etc and then ship those based on the best logistics for them. Since Wall Street bases the "life" of Tesla on how many cars they sell every quarter, Tesla does everything in their power to get them out the door. Because of that, towards the start of the quarter they will manufacture batches of cars for overseas, then they will switch to East coast destined cars, and then start switching towards cars that are planned for central United States an West coast. It's nice they're willing to just delay the delivery and let you sit on the order and wait for a different car, again, Wall Street looks at every single car not delivered as a nail in the coffin for Tesla; it would be nice if we could change that view point. (Btw, with other auto manufactures, when they hand off the car from Chevy to the dealer, that counts as the sale, so they don't give a crap how long it sits on the lot, it's off their books.)

So the problem you likely are in is that you've missed the cycle of cars being made for your area and loaded on trains to be shipped out. They're more than willing to hold your order for you, but you need to wait for the factory to make another batch of your color combo with the new updates this time and then ship them across the states to you. The quarter ends in March, so late March or April seems like a very reasonable time frame for them to get a new car to you.

What you could do is let the sales advisor (whichever one will readily take your calls, I do agree that Tesla falls down on that part, but the company is heavily designed for you to do everything online and just get a text notice or account update when the car is ready for delivery) that you're open to changing color combos or wheel sizes if they can locate a car that isn't already assigned to someone for delivery but includes the updates.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to ask to get assigned to a vehicle on the west coast that matches your preferred color combo and has the updates, fly out to take delivery, and drive it home.

Otherwise you're unfortunately out of luck; though you do always have the ability to delay delivery and get exactly what you want... just know it's hard waiting a little longer!

Good luck!

(Btw, I took delivery in late October right before the slightly larger battery, heated steering wheel, console change, etc. My car has just about 1,000 miles on it right now and you know what, still the best car I've ever owned. I can still be very happy with it even though I just missed those changes. Also, personally, the old style console was much nicer. Yes it needed paint protection film to keep scratches away, or a wrap, but it had the slickest opening mechanisms out there... now they just get a dumb sliding open or close lid!)

If you had to pick one; battery pack or center console which one would you pick? The additional capacity of the new battery is like ~4kWh, so maybe 15 miles additional range. Plus, there is information that the new battery pack uses cells that charge more slowly than the current battery cells when using a SuperCharger.
Honestly I really wanted the center console without the shiny piano finish. Is it worth waiting until April? No I don’t think I want to do that. Thank you for your responses!! Much appreciated

Reactions: Berkshire1
The cars are not custom made. When you order they don't spin the machines up in CA and start to work on your car. They will make batches of configurations. Paint color, interior color, etc and then ship those based on the best logistics for them. Since Wall Street bases the "life" of Tesla on how many cars they sell every quarter, Tesla does everything in their power to get them out the door. Because of that, towards the start of the quarter they will manufacture batches of cars for overseas, then they will switch to East coast destined cars, and then start switching towards cars that are planned for central United States an West coast. It's nice they're willing to just delay the delivery and let you sit on the order and wait for a different car, again, Wall Street looks at every single car not delivered as a nail in the coffin for Tesla; it would be nice if we could change that view point. (Btw, with other auto manufactures, when they hand off the car from Chevy to the dealer, that counts as the sale, so they don't give a crap how long it sits on the lot, it's off their books.)

So the problem you likely are in is that you've missed the cycle of cars being made for your area and loaded on trains to be shipped out. They're more than willing to hold your order for you, but you need to wait for the factory to make another batch of your color combo with the new updates this time and then ship them across the states to you. The quarter ends in March, so late March or April seems like a very reasonable time frame for them to get a new car to you.

What you could do is let the sales advisor (whichever one will readily take your calls, I do agree that Tesla falls down on that part, but the company is heavily designed for you to do everything online and just get a text notice or account update when the car is ready for delivery) that you're open to changing color combos or wheel sizes if they can locate a car that isn't already assigned to someone for delivery but includes the updates.

If that doesn't work, you might be able to ask to get assigned to a vehicle on the west coast that matches your preferred color combo and has the updates, fly out to take delivery, and drive it home.

Otherwise you're unfortunately out of luck; though you do always have the ability to delay delivery and get exactly what you want... just know it's hard waiting a little longer!

Good luck!

(Btw, I took delivery in late October right before the slightly larger battery, heated steering wheel, console change, etc. My car has just about 1,000 miles on it right now and you know what, still the best car I've ever owned. I can still be very happy with it even though I just missed those changes. Also, personally, the old style console was much nicer. Yes it needed paint protection film to keep scratches away, or a wrap, but it had the slickest opening mechanisms out there... now they just get a dumb sliding open or close lid!)
Wow awesome information thank you so much!!! This site is so helpful because of people like you!! Thanks again!!

Reactions: JAM3S
It'll be curious to see if the battery change is just to gather some real world data on them before they adjust the charge profile to be back to "normal." I can't imagine Tesla taking a step back in charging speeds (more than a couple % that likely would get lost in the noise when it comes to things like Teslafi or scan tools) just for a handful of miles.

Wow awesome information thank you so much!!! This site is so helpful because of people like you!! Thanks again!!

If you're on the east coast everyone kinda hates your towards the start of the quarter because all the focus is on cars heading over to you... then if it's near the end of the quarter everyone hates that the east coast goes dry as almost no cars make it over.

Eventually Tesla will have another factory that should cut shipping times down greatly and smooth out towards a more continuous flow. In addition, it would be nice if Wall Street looked at more factors then just cars handed over to base the health or performance of Tesla on. Sadly it comes down to if they estimate 130,000 cars delivered and they only deliver 122,700, the stock takes a decent dip and all the headlines are that Tesla is under performing and demand is down, etc etc etc. (Even though it might be a 50% increase in year over year numbers for that quarter or something!)

On the west coast they're literally delivering cars up till like 11:59PM on the last day of the quarter, even if it's a weekend night and they're selling every show room model and rolling the cars off the trucks as you're signing the papers. It's hectic and a little sad, but they're still very young compared to the other guys and the business model is much different (they own every car and carry that cost on their books until they take your money and you drive away, traditional dealer model the cars are usually off the books as soon as the cars are delivered to the dealership)

Honestly I really wanted the center console without the shiny piano finish. Is it worth waiting until April? No I don’t think I want to do that. Thank you for your responses!! Much appreciated
I have the original center console, actually prefer it to the look of the new console. You can't close the lid on the phone charging pad on the new console. I don't mind the piano black finish but if it ever gets so grungy that I can't stand it I can always add a console wrap for ~$30 in dozens of different colors and textures. Just a thought. You do get a total of (2) USB-C charging ports with the new console; the USB 3.0 data port is moved inside the glove box. I don't need to use the front or rear USB-C charging ports; I charge my iPhone SE2 on the wireless charging pad with an Otterbox Commuter case and it charges with no issues.

I have the original center console, actually prefer it to the look of the new console. You can't close the lid on the phone charging pad on the new console. I don't mind the piano black finish but if it ever gets so grungy that I can't stand it I can always add a console wrap for ~$30 in dozens of different colors and textures. Just a thought. You do get a total of (2) USB-C charging ports with the new console; the USB 3.0 data port is moved inside the glove box. I don't need to use the front or rear USB-C charging ports; I charge my iPhone SE2 on the wireless charging pad with an Otterbox Commuter case and it charges with no issues.

Yep, I like the old style more too. The new style strikes me as "fancy" for Chevy or Honda or something where as the old style was a bit more Lexus or Mercedes or something, granted the quality still isn't up to either of those guys.

I also love that you can close the phone cover on the old style. I don't tend to leave my phone in the car often, but there is the occasion that a passenger will want to leave the phone in the car for five minutes while running into the store or something and it's nice to have it out of sight.

To add what others have stated from what I see from forum and Y Facebook group, majority of Ys still have old consoles (which I prefer) and old lights. There are few posts of new changes and mostly post of people getting older items. Heating steering wheel is pretty much standard Now. So you likely are going to have to wait more

Yep, I like the old style more too. The new style strikes me as "fancy" for Chevy or Honda or something where as the old style was a bit more Lexus or Mercedes or something, granted the quality still isn't up to either of those guys.

I also love that you can close the phone cover on the old style. I don't tend to leave my phone in the car often, but there is the occasion that a passenger will want to leave the phone in the car for five minutes while running into the store or something and it's nice to have it out of sight.
It's the Model Y Classic Edition Console :cool:

• Love
Reactions: NY_Rob and Jefrucci

Updated center console
Updated headlights

Where’s the confirmation on the larger pack? Haven’t seen that.