Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very frustrated with software limited charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I defeated the charge limiter.... But it wasn't easy.... And not doing this every time I need 80 amps charge rate at home......

I went all out this time. Turned on all lights, dryer, 4 space heaters, coffee pot, and my BIG Air compressor. Calculated load, was about 70 amps @240v. This was enough to bring the voltage down from 244 to mid 230's (Didnt keep exact track, but it's on my charging video I'm making).
I then started the car charging via the app.
As the car ramped up the charging rate, voltage started to drop further, but, at the same time, I started turning off devices.
Started with the lowest power ones, coffee pot, and air compressor. Following that, I turned the space heaters down to 700 watt settings. Then turned off the space heaters one by one spaced out evenly. This allowed the car to continue to raise the amperage, without any more drop in voltage. Finally, I killed the dryer. That was a 30 amp load at 240 (tag rating).

This actually brought the voltages up by about 4v. It's all leveled off at 227v and holding steady. Currently, going on 1 hour and has not dropped charging rate to 60 amps yet. Usually, at home, it happens between 0 and 30 minutes no matter what.

Basically, by doing this, I lowered the range the car sees as acceptable voltage drop. So, instead of the car "Seeing" the voltage drop from 244 to 227, It's only seeing a drop from about 235 (Roughly) to 227.

Basically, now, the cars seeing that the voltage is 96.59574468085106 of it's starting voltage, instead of seeing 93.0327868852459 of the original starting voltage.

WOULD IT BE FREAKIN AWESOME IF THE CAR CHARGED LIKE THIS WITHOUT THE HASSLE ALL THE TIME (HINT HINT TESLA!!!!)

No you didn't; you artificially lowered the starting voltage. It's possible to do that every time using a variable transformer but I don't see how anyone expects Tesla to do that with a car FW update.

I think he was referring to the fact that the car actually charged at 80A properly all the time, not actually changing the voltage input in firmware. ;)

Considering tricking the car with the lower starting voltage actually worked... yeah, should definitely be fixable in firmware.