Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very happy with my Mountain Pass Comfort Coilovers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've always thought that the stock suspension was too harsh; not only did I feel every rut in the road, but it seems like my whole body was being thrown around over even small bumps in the road. Reducing the tire pressure to 38 psig had little effect.

I've only had the MPP coilovers for a day, but I already think that they are a big improvement over the stock suspension. Now I still feel the road, but there's very little impact on my body. It was kind of weird at first going over a bump and expecting to get tossed around and then nothing happening.

I would be remissed in not mentioning the outstanding customer service at MPP. They often answered my questions within hours and almost always within a day.

I was also very happy with the shop I used for the installation. They had done several Model 3s coilover installs, but I was their first Y. It was interesting that they mentioned that they had several people inquiring about how to fix their Y's suspensions. At least now they have an answer they can attest to.

The added benefit is that I pre-adjusted the rebound and compression setting so there's plenty of adjustment left to go more or less smooth.

I've always thought that the stock suspension was too harsh; not only did I feel every rut in the road, but it seems like my whole body was being thrown around over even small bumps in the road. Reducing the tire pressure to 38 psig had little effect.

I've only had the MPP coilovers for a day, but I already think that they are a big improvement over the stock suspension. Now I still feel the road, but there's very little impact on my body. It was kind of weird at first going over a bump and expecting to get tossed around and then nothing happening.

I would be remissed in not mentioning the outstanding customer service at MPP. They often answered my questions within hours and almost always within a day.

I was also very happy with the shop I used for the installation. They had done several Model 3s coilover installs, but I was their first Y. It was interesting that they mentioned that they had several people inquiring about how to fix their Y's suspensions. At least now they have an answer they can attest to.

The added benefit is that I pre-adjusted the rebound and compression setting so there's plenty of adjustment left to go more or less smooth.
Where in Northern CA are you located? Which Auto shop did you get it installed.? And what di you pay for the comfort version of the MY MP suspension coil springs

AutoRND in Fremont took 3 hours and change to install the MPP stealth RUCA kit — F/R coil overs and black upper camber arms. Went to their preferred alignment shop for another 45 minutes and then back home. I don’t have the numbers but will add them. $800 including 4-wheel alignment. Rishie and his employee both race Tesla’s so I figured they were the right place to go.

The car is about 1/2” lower, road bumps are less bone-rattling and the car is more stable during hard acceleration and freeway driving.

Last edited:
Reactions: MountainPass
AutoRND in Fremont took 3 hours and change to install the MPP stealth RUCA kit — F/R coil overs and black upper camber arms. Went to their preferred alignment shop for another 45 minutes and then back home. I don’t have the numbers but will add them. $800 including 4-wheel alignment. Rishie and his employee both race Tesla’s so I figured they were the right place to go.

The car is about 1/2” lower, road bumps are less bone-rattling and the car is more stable during hard acceleration and freeway driving.
Settings:
Front 10R/10C
Rear 16R/12C

Reactions: MountainPass
I know this is a double post, but until the moderator combines the 2 MPP Comfort Coilover threads, I thought I'd post this here as well.

VIN 88xxx, now at 12k miles. MYLR, stock 19" Apollo/Gemini, ContiProContact set at 43psi cold (would go to 46-48psi at 105f ambient). About 3k miles on MPP comfort coilovers, as close to OEM ride height as possible, 14/12 front, 10/10 rear.

Just returned from a 2k mile road trip, FW>Denver>Aspen>FW. One way solo, return trip (from Aspen) with my 22year-old-son. Interstate, 2-lanes in CO, also NW of Amarillo. Variety of road surfaces, mostly well maintained.

My son noticed the suspension change immediately. Less harsh slap over expansion cracks and minor bumps, larger potholes (asphalt delamination, 3-4" deep) are still noticeable, but as others have stated, they are HEARD rather than FELT. He said he was bracing for impact when he saw an unavoidable hole coming, and was surprised by the absorption of the impact. Considerably less harshness overall.

Handling? Long sweeping curves at speed (65-75mph), encountering washboard surfaces, the car felt much more stable, never being thrown offline.

Tracking? Absolutely dead-on straight, could cruise on the perfectly straight stretches with virtually zero steering input. Also, road imperfections did NOT throw the car off-line, which I can't say about the OEM suspension.

All that said, OF COURSE it felt better. I just dropped $3500 (parts/install/alignment) on a $52k car!!!

Seriously, though, the fact that my son noticed the difference immediately means a lot.

(FYI, w/o Gemini covers, driving 75-80interstate, averaged 286wh/mi for the 2k miles trip. Enjoyed the energy recovery descending Independence Pass [an absolute MUST SEE on your bucket list!]) and never a moment of range anxiety. As with any EV, trip planning is an absolute necessity