Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very happy with v10 AP improvements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

pdx_m3s

May 18, 2019
Portland, OR
A few AP things I’ve noticed since having v10 for a couple days (non-EAP, non-FSD HW2.5 SR+ owner here):

- When at a stop and the car in front of me starts moving, my Tesla now accelerates MUCH faster than it used to and no longer creates a large gap between us. I used to “help” AP along by slightly hitting the accelerator, but this is no longer necessary.
- Related to the above, the “rubber banding effect” in stop/go traffic is almost non existent (albeit at the expense of slightly more head movement, which I am completely OK with).
- It handles very wide lanes perfectly now. While it used to seem hesitant (wheel moving left-right-left-right etc... occasionally asking me to apply force) in certain really wide areas, it no longer does this. It’s very confident now.
- It handles areas with no lane markings and no visible forward lane markings (think wide intersection with vehicles blocking forward lane lines) MUCH better. Sometimes it didn’t handle scenarios like this too well, but so far it seems great... as if the lane lines are there.
- It handles sharp road curves better with better path prediction. It’s always been fairly good at this, but it’s better now. I have a couple ”problem corners” I test this with, and the improvement with v10 is night and day. It perfectly saw these corners, slowed down ahead of time, and executed the turns. Previously, it would abruptly take the corner as if it saw it last second and brake during the turn.

Extremely happy with the progress. This car literally just keeps getting better with age. Thanks Tesla.

Phantom braking on my daily journey has disappeared.

Another great new feature I noticed today is that it moves itself to the outside of the lane when next to Semi trucks.

Good to hear. My commute has no freeway driving, so nothing to add here, but I’ll take your word for it!

Also, not necessarily AP related, but the visualization of surrounding cars is now much more accurate and stable.

Reactions: pilotSteve
Yeah. For me, it was a night and day difference when I tried AP after the V10 update.

If I could sum up my experience with it, it just got much smoother. It definitely still has brain fart moments, but it has an air of confidence to it I haven't seen before.

Yeah. For me, it was a night and day difference when I tried AP after the V10 update.

If I could sum up my experience with it, it just got much smoother. It definitely still has brain fart moments, but it has an air of confidence to it I haven't seen before.

Are you all on AP3, by any chance? My experience on AP2.5 has so far been the opposite of that. On V9, my car could consistently handle CA-17 with almost no manual takeovers. On V10, I'm taking over a lot more often. Almost every turn lane that appears causes it to veer off the road. It hugs the center barrier even more dangerously closely than before. Its steering is much jerkier than before.

To be fair, they're in the process of repaving the road right now, so AP is struggling even more than it otherwise might, and I can't say with absolute certainty that it is worse until they finish putting the stripes back (right now, it's just dots), but it feels like it isn't doing as well as it did on V9 under similar conditions. (I upgraded halfway through the road construction; I drove it in a similar ground-off state with both versions, and V9 was much better than V10, and it didn't get after they repaved it, either, which surprised me.)

Also, I'm seeing considerably more phantom braking than in V9.

Are you all on AP3, by any chance? My experience on AP2.5 has so far been the opposite of that. On V9, my car could consistently handle CA-17 with almost no manual takeovers. On V10, I'm taking over a lot more often. Almost every turn lane that appears causes it to veer off the road. It hugs the center barrier even more dangerously closely than before. Its steering is much jerkier than before.

To be fair, they're in the process of repaving the road right now, so AP is struggling even more than it otherwise might, and I can't say with absolute certainty that it is worse until they finish putting the stripes back (right now, it's just dots), but it feels like it isn't doing as well as it did on V9 under similar conditions. (I upgraded halfway through the road construction; I drove it in a similar ground-off state with both versions, and V9 was much better than V10, and it didn't get after they repaved it, either, which surprised me.)

Also, I'm seeing considerably more phantom braking than in V9.

I’m not the person you were asking the question of, but I have a similar experience on v10 (it’s much better). I’m on HW2.5.