Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very High Electric Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked this one up for about $100 new (it's been a while, so don't remember exactly). Smaller than a utility meter, easier to read too (digital readout of KWh). You just feed the wires through it (no cutting, only a couple of screws that tap the wire, so yes, breaker must be off during installation).
View attachment 221692

There is an even cheaper solution available that monitors more than just the total KWH used - at least for those inclined to build things. I installed a $12 electronic measuring device that monitors the voltage, current, KW (kilowatts, power), KWH (kilowatt-hours, energy), and cumulative time. This model displayes those readings one at a time while there are also other models available that display all of the measurements at once (but using a much smaller font). A housing is also required (I used a metal and plastic box that I had available) and this device is intended for indoor use only, unlike the standard utility company KWH meters. Of course the housing could completely enclose this meter (similar to what whitx did with his meter), in which case it could be used outdoors. Mine is mounted inside the garage so I did not need a full covering enclosure.
5 in 1 AC 100A Digital Electrical Combo Panel Meter Volt Amp kWh Watt Work time | eBay

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
OP here. Well 2 months later and my electric bill continues to be high. I can confirm that vampire drain/my python script didn't have much impact either way. From March 2016 to May 2016, I only averaged 15 kWH per day and a year later, I am up to a whopping 41 kWh per day!

According to TeslaFi, since I started using the service on March 27th, I used up 823 kWh over that time. So it seems, the Tesla is only using up around 15 kWh per day, and the other 11kwh per day remains a mystery to me.

Unfortunately, Sense isn't helping much as it's still learning about my home and hasn't correctly identified many of my appliances(including the Tesla). I can confirm it's not my wife's heat press as she stopped using it for a good month while her business partner took it. I had hunches last time what it might be, but I literally have no clue now. My wife uses a cricuit machine( Amazon.com: Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine: Arts, Crafts & Sewing) constantly with her business, but I can't imagine that using up so much power.

OP here. Well 2 months later and my electric bill continues to be high. I can confirm that vampire drain/my python script didn't have much impact either way. From March 2016 to May 2016, I only averaged 15 kWH per day and a year later, I am up to a whopping 41 kWh per day!

According to TeslaFi, since I started using the service on March 27th, I used up 823 kWh over that time. So it seems, the Tesla is only using up around 15 kWh per day, and the other 11kwh per day remains a mystery to me.

Unfortunately, Sense isn't helping much as it's still learning about my home and hasn't correctly identified many of my appliances(including the Tesla). I can confirm it's not my wife's heat press as she stopped using it for a good month while her business partner took it. I had hunches last time what it might be, but I literally have no clue now. My wife uses a cricuit machine( Amazon.com: Cricut Explore Air 2 Machine: Arts, Crafts & Sewing) constantly with her business, but I can't imagine that using up so much power.
What is your base "always on" usage per the sense?

Get a cheap meter just for the Tesla if you want to be sure. Is the weather any warmer or colder causing HVAC to work more (or even just exhaust fans)? Does your wife's office warm up the house so it needs more AC?

PS) does sense data agree with the utility meter?

Get a cheap meter just for the Tesla if you want to be sure. Is the weather any warmer or colder causing HVAC to work more (or even just exhaust fans)? Does your wife's office warm up the house so it needs more AC?

PS) does sense data agree with the utility meter?

I forgot to mention, the average temperature in May 2016 was 54 degrees, and this year, 56 degrees, so not much of a difference. Haven't used that much more A/C than last year and the high electricity usage started back in February when I got the Tesla. (I am in the NorthEast). I do have a little of a 5% discrepancy where Sense is overestimating my usage compared to my meter and I am working with Sense support on this.

Roughly around 9 kWh per day. Keep in mind, I have no idea what it was a year ago compare it to though.

That seams quite high - if your saying 15kWh a year ago was your daily usage.

About 375 watts all the time. Does sense give you real time watt usage?

I'd try to isolate this first.

Watch the watts on the meter and go around the house and turn off and unplug everything you can. Once done, if still significant load, flip breakers off.

I'd then look at the longer running peaks. Has sense identified anything? A failing fridge can use a lot of juice.

An air conditioner that is low on refrigerant will stop cycling and run continuously trying to keep up with the heat load.
A 3 ton air conditioner, running continuously, will use 2.4 kW per hour or 57.6 kWh per day.

I am glad you mentioned this. It turns out our A/C is low on coolant and I am having some added this week as we had a 90 degree day last week and my a/c ran for 19 hours. This might explain for some of the rise on some of the hot days but most of the time over the past 2 months, the a/c has been completely off as I only fire it up when it's 65 degrees outside or warmer.

As far as my fridges, Sense has detected both of them and they are using up about 1 kwh per day each.

Friend of mine bought a house and it turned out the sump pump had a hole in the side, so it was running 24/7. Anything like that in your house? Well pump?
Wow. What a waste. Good fInd!

I found my ceiling fan remote receivers were taking in excess of 50w each. All the time. I have 9 fans.

I did breaker by breaker current monitoring. Started with heat/ac off. All lights off. Watched whole house current while I unplugged, switched off, flipped breakers. Took a day - had to wait 30-45 seconds to see updated info on my monitoring system.

Also found my fridge took 110 watts at baseline. Not cooling at all. And heat pumps 70 watts each if outdoor temp below 38 degrees.

What I've done so far:

1) Eliminated it being vampire drain from perl script using API.
2) Eliminiated it from being my wife's heat press
3) Purchased Sense
4) Purchased TeslaFI

According to Sense for yesterday I used 35 kWh for my entire home and according to Teslafi, I used 13 kWh to charge which leaves me at 23 kWh, which is a little above last year at this time. I ran no ac yesterday.

If anyone is curious to see how Sense looks. Dont believe the dollar amount seen. Sense hasnt added the ability to put TOU rates yet

Attachments

• SNAG-0263.png
    SNAG-0263.png
    28.7 KB · Views: 80