Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very High Electric Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Double is a dangerous comparison. Going to depend greatly on size of house and other loads.

But you mentioned over two months. That's 550kWh per month if you simply attribute to the Tesla. At rates here in Texas that would be about $33 per month. Much less than I'm paying for gas.

Reactions: FlyF4
Double is a dangerous comparison. Going to depend greatly on size of house and other loads.

But you mentioned over two months. That's 550kWh per month if you simply attribute to the Tesla. At rates here in Texas that would be about $33 per month. Much less than I'm paying for gas.

Nothing drastically changed from a year ago at this time besides the Tesla and my wife's business. That's $115 more in NY as I pay .21 per kWh. It has to be this vampire drain, I can't think of anything else.

Here is some stats from my car...

Attachments

• IMG_0466.JPG
    IMG_0466.JPG
    538.3 KB · Views: 106
Your vampire drain is *much* higher if you hit the API. You are preventing the car from sleeping.

For me, I've turned off "always connect" and now I'm getting far lower consumption numbers - driving gently, I'm even seeing numbers like 240-260 Wh/mi, when I used to see in the 300's. Of course, in the very cold with battery heating, it is still higher at first.

1500 miles * 0.45 kWh/mile = 675 kWh. Explains a significant part of the increase. I'd get a power meter to plug between the wall outlet and any device to figure out how much the vinyl related machinery uses, but I guess the Tesla's the main cause.

Luckily you paid $0 in gas for the Tesla :)

450 Wh/mi would be a really high average energy usage. I average around 290 Wh/mi in my P85. Some will have a little less. Most will have a little more. But unlikely to be THAT much more.

For NY, over the winter, I'd say your Wh/mi are going to be north of 330, but as others have mentioned, you can get your historic average right off the trips meter in the car if you haven't reset it since getting the car.
If you can see your hourly meter use, regardless of whether you have a time-of-use plan, I'd still suggest charging the car at night so you can differentiate your car's usage from other household needs during the day.

Things that I've found that impact my bill is how frequently I pre-heat the car in the middle of winter (@30 min/day once to 3-4 times a day - by choice and I'm aware of it and not complaining). Summertime was energy usage was much better (around 150-180 wh/m), especially since I think the winter tires are causing a hit to overall efficiency (330+ wh/m). Where I am, I've heard there's a surcharge for going over 1000kwh in a month, and my bills somewhat reflect it. Since I'm awaiting for a replacement Model S, I'm looking at March and April's billings to reestablish what my baseline is, which appears significantly lower. I'm traveling around 1000km/month average. I'll assess everything once the new one comes in.

Is your utility on a tier plan? For instance my SCE is defaulted on a tier plan (1-4), if I didn't switch to the EV rate plan. I would be paying $0.45 on tier 4 per kw instead of $0.12 as I do on their EV plan.

I actually have been meaning to call my utility company about this but keep forgetting. So tonight, I did. While PSE&G does not have a rate plan for residential accounts, I can get a another meter and have a separate account for my vehicle and then charge my car from midnight to 7am for .001 per kw plus a .32 cents a day meter charge fee. So basically, it's $10 per month for the meter, plus 0.001 per kw. Tagging fellow LI @wesley888 on this. I know there is a couple of other LI'ers on here, wondering if they knew about this?

According to my math, this would only save me $3.00 a month since I only drive around 600 miles per month.

Normal Rate: 600 x .23 per kw = $13.80

New Meter Rate: 600 x .001 per kw plus $9.60 per month meter fee = $10.20

Probably not worth the effort of setting up another meter on the side of my house and another billing account for me.....

Last edited:
Reactions: wesley888
So basically, it's $10 per month for the meter, plus 0.001 per kw.

A tenth of a cent per KWh? Why even charge!?

But, 600 * $0.23 is $138 a month, not $13.80. But you don't use one KWh per mile.

If you drive 600 miles, that's about 200 KWh. That's $46 a month.

I really doubt they only charge $0.001 per KWh at night when their nominal rate is $0.23

Reactions: David29
Several things already mentioned...

but most important
TOU, if at all possible from your utility. We charge the lowest rate time ($0.09 per kWh as opposed to max of $0.42 per kWh).
Also mentioned was appliances that can be timed to run during cheapest rate time (newer appliances can be set to start at that time).

I would give it a few months to track use and costs to nail down the exact problem. One factor here is temps are pretty much same all year, but in your neighborhood temp extremes can suck up a lot of the Tesla's energy.
You could also do a meter reading before and after to see how much the Tesla is using compared to the rest of the day.

A tenth of a cent per KWh? Why even charge!?

But, 600 * $0.23 is $138 a month, not $13.80. Something is way off.

Maybe I am doing the math wrong. I pay .23 per kw and I drive 600 miles a month. I just did another online calculator and with my regular rates, I am paying $42 a month for my D85. If I get the new meter, it's essentially $10 a month. Then it's worth it. Am I doing these calculations right? I used this site: Electric Car Calculator

I agree the .001 sounds ridiculously cheap. I am going to call tomorrow and get more details because apparently, I have to fill out an application to have a new meter installed. There is absolutely nothing on PSE&G's website about this either.

Reactions: wesley888
So, I just got my first electric bill since I got my Tesla. From January 22-March 23rd, I used 2250kwh for my house. For the same exact period a year earlier, I only used up 1100kwh. While we've had a cold winter in NY, I have gas heating. I use a 14-50 to charge.

I've only put on around 1,500 miles so far, and I do tend to charge it every night, which usually only takes 2-3 hours to get to 90%. My wife did start a new business in December where she does a lot of vinyl printing with a cricuit machine and heat press, so that might contribute a little, but I can't imagine much.

Does this seem right?
Did you recently get a smart meter installed? I have read recently about some peoples' smart meters overcharging by huge amounts, such that they had to get help to measure actual usage in order to disprove the poco's charges.