Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

VERY informative post by VIN # ...F00017

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car wash avoidance rings a bell too. The Insight had the same issue. The panels covering the rear wheels would get yanked off by the tire cleaning brushes that some car washes use. I had to get it hand washed when I went to the car wash. I also had to manually remove/replace the panels when they washed it. This didn't seem like a big deal at the time, but became a nuisance after several years. I'll have to go back and re-read that verbiage again. Not sure if thats just one of those kinds of CYA disclaimers or whether owners really do need to not use the automatic car wash.

RT

I had the side mirror of a Ford Taurus get ripped right off the car by the brushes in a car wash. Anyone who warranties damage from that would be locked in an insane asylum. Every car wash I go to with brushes has a disclaimer prominently displayed saying they aren't responsible for damage to the vehicle. The idea that the car manufacturer should be instead is beyond ludicrous.

Pretty apparent most folks here have never purchased a first year new model car. I have, twice, and both were complete disasters. It's the number one reason I waited until after 10K reservations to reserve mine. If this is the extent of the complaints the Tesla is doing a hella job. Not even in the same dimension as have ICE computer die driving down the freeway - twice, or having the anti-lock brakes fail in the bad way.

I bought the first model year of the Lexus SC400. If Tesla can pull off what Lexus did there, I'll be extremely happy. Really no problems at all. After the "right off the lot depreciation", the car's resale value actually started *appreciating* for a while!

Same here. I bought one of the very first Lexus RX 400h in the US, and have been extremely happy with it. No problems whatsoever, 110,000 miles and 6.5 years later.

I bought the first Leaf sold to a private customer in Norway. Still, it's a 2012 model as we did not get an 2011's here. Anyway, I'm extremely happy with the car for it's intended uses. But its certainly not a long-distance car in mid-winter. Even CHAdeMO charging is painfully slow with only one battery temp. bar lit ;)

Tesla has demonstrated their customer commitment. I'm not alarmed. I would not own a Roadster, be buying their stock on every dip and have a sig reservation deposit for an X if I hadn't personally experienced their customer commitment.

I love comments hear by Roadster owners, like you. Thanks for chiming in when people start worrying! It's good to hear from people with first-hand experience with the whole Tesla experience; it's very reassuring, IMHO, for all of us (worry-worts, Zen reservation holders, and those in between). (Apologies to the worry-worts in the crowd if that sounds snarky; I don't mean it that way, just as a "Thanks!" to Bonnie, et al.)

- Kendall the Zen reservation holder, reassured by the OP and Bonnie ;-)

I purchased both a 2001 and a 2004 Prius. No first year model problems. I don't expect any problems with the Model S either. First year problems are mostly Big 3 related.

Pretty apparent most folks here have never purchased a first year new model car. I have, twice, and both were complete disasters. It's the number one reason I waited until after 10K reservations to reserve mine. If this is the extent of the complaints the Tesla is doing a hella job. Not even in the same dimension as have ICE computer die driving down the freeway - twice, or having the anti-lock brakes fail in the bad way.

Yipes! Do you mind sharing which two first-years you bought? No need to tell us which had those problems if you don't want to, but I'm very curious. I wanted the first-year Miata but instead bought it like 10 years later; I wonder what my first-year experience would've been with that.

The other thing is, the Model S is not just a first year new model, but also (a) a new platform and (b) only the second Tesla car ever!

You're welcome, kendall. When people accuse us of just being Tesla 'fanbois' (or in my case, 'fangirl'), they totally discount the real world experience we already have.

... does anyone know what percentage of Roadster owners bought both|either a Model S and|or a Model X? Certainly you see a lot here on the forum. (And I know of a few Roadster owners that are also waiting for the Gen III.) That alone speaks volumes regarding Tesla.

THIS!!! Man this is a picky bunch on TMC.

Word. ;-)

This is great news to hear that cars are rolling out to owners and to get information on what state the "production" cars are in currently.

This reminds me: Some folks in other threads felt that the initial June 22nd Founders didn't really "count" as customers (?!). I didn't, but hopefully everyone sees this couple, who had a chance to upgrade (i.e., not original Founders purchasers) and then posted so much honest detail, as "real" customers (whatever that means). Of course, none of it counts till I get my car next year, hehehe. . . .

Car wash discussion is happening over At the Car Wash.

LOL, did anyone else here the old "Car Wash" song just now? ;-)

You're welcome, kendall. When people accuse us of just being Tesla 'fanbois' (or in my case, 'fangurl'), they totally discount the real world experience we already have.

Fixed your spelling mistake for ya, Bonnie :)

And FWIW, I think that the real world experience of the current Roadster owners is an important clue as to how us future Model S / Model X owners will be treated. I would expect that Tesla will go above and beyond to take care of us.