Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Long wait times for PWs?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been waiting a year from a third party installer in Texas for my PWs. Solar is done but they're telling me Tesla isn't sharing PWs as expected. Anyone with information on this? Thanks.
The only thing I can offer is this has been going on for a long time. I entered into a contract with a 3rd party installer in June 2020. The system was finally installed in December of 2021 - a painful wait all because Tesla was very slow to fill their orders for PowerWall.

Reactions: MY4me and ucmndd
The only thing I can offer is this has been going on for a long time. I entered into a contract with a 3rd party installer in June 2020. The system was finally installed in December of 2021 - a painful wait!
Thanks Steve, it does help to know that I'm not the only one. Sorry you had to wait so long. Tell me it's worth the wait!?

I could get the enphase sooner but I'm a MY owner and want the benefits of similar systems.

Thanks Steve, it does help to know that I'm not the only one. Sorry you had to wait so long. Tell me it's worth the wait!?

I could get the enphase sooner but I'm a MY owner and want the benefits of similar systems.
For me It has been worth the wait and I am enjoying having the system installed. I can’t speak to going with Enphase instead, I would at least look into it. In my case Enphase was not compatible with the panels / inverter that had been installed in 2009.

Reactions: MY4me
We waited over sixteen months. It was worth it to us. Without going into details, our installer shared conversations that they had had with Tesla that made it clear that Tesla prioritizes internal sales, and sales to a select few third party installers. Mine was not a prioritized installer, so we waited.

With the economy in the shape it is in, I would anticipate that your wait will be shorter.

All the best,

BG

I appreciate the response. It's really frustrating because I picked an installer with a stellar reputation and they haven't delivered. I don't know that I have much recourse except walk away, and lose a great price, hound them, or try to be patient.

I believe Tesla is prioritizing Powerwalls with Tesla solar panel purchases

With Tesla internally, thats true. What we dont know is what / how tesla allocates powerwalls to third party suppliers. Some (most?) of them seem to get their powerwalls like slow drip coffee, in drips (I am drinking my coffee this morning so this is on my mind lol).

A few third party suppliers seem to get decent supply, but they might have some sort of "tighter relationship" with Tesla that we would not be aware of / have knowledge of.

What we do know though, is that there are several regular members here who waited that long or longer for powerwalls from third party suppliers. OP if your third party did a good job on your PV install and you were happy with their install etc, its probably worth it to stick it out (unless you go with a different battery tech altogether).

You are unlikely to get powerwalls only (which is now what you need) faster from anyone else. Tesla isnt going to sell them to you separately, and and anyone else you might want to buy them from is going to price them at a premium because you didnt get solar from them.

Your only real choices as I see it are:

1. Wait it out, for your current supplier
2. Decide you dont want to wait for tesla powerwalls, and pivot to another battery tech that your current vendor installs (they will likely work with you on pricing because of your wait time)
4. Cancel with your current vendor and try to go with another one. This will be cost prohibitive and also likely not speed things up that much in regards to tesla powerwalls.
3. Decide you dont want battery technology at all, and cancel that part altogether.

Thats pretty much it.

My third party Powerwalls I signed the contract for in August 2020 were installed in Jan 2022.

So yeah, it can take a while. Supply chain is entirely up to Tesla and they obviously prioritize their own installs.

It was worth the wait.