TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

Discussion in 'Model X' started by fiksegts, Apr 4, 2016.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

at times we are getting a VERY VERY loud fan noise coming from the front area of the car with the AC on, our X was not doing this when we first got it, anyone else?

turning off the AC makes the car silent again.... it's so loud that standing by the car you can't even have a conversation...

2. Keith

Keith Member

What's was the temperature outside? I just tried turning on my AC and the fan was loud, but not so loud I couldn't have a conversation. However I live in Oregon and the temp here is in the 60s. Maybe try enabling range mode to see if it tones down the AC a bit?

3. vandacca

vandacca Active Member

Unfortunately, sounds like a problem that needs to be address by Tesla service.

4. aesculus

aesculus Still Trying to Figure this All Out

Sounds like Biodefense mode. :)

5. CTemp222

CTemp222 Member

I was getting this a little, sounded a little like humming. But I only noticed this when my X was supercharging.

6. DJ Frustration

DJ Frustration Model X Sig, Former Model S, Model 3 Res

it's been hot here in Miami. That happens frequently. It's similar to the A/C compressor from our early Model S. Sadly, I think it's normal. I'm curious to know what your service center thinks. Heck, maybe you should call while standing next to the frunk and let them hear it and tell you if it's normal or not.

7. ronmerkord

ronmerkord Member

Our Signature X has not made that noise (yet), but we were at the Fresno superchargers this weekend in 85F weather, and there was another Sig X charging as well. As we were walking across the parking lot, I suddenly heard a very loud fan noise coming from the other X, I'm guessing as he remotely turned on his climate control, since he left a few minutes later. It was loud enough to hear from across the parking lot, so I guess your X is not the only one to do this.

Ron
    SigX VIN #484

8. cclaygo

cclaygo Member

The fan noise reminds me of the Model S a/c fan noise prior to them putting the extras sound shielding around it. I am wondering if they did not put that same sound deadening material around the X fan.

9. joebob73

joebob73 Member

I have this issue with our X as well. It is uncomfortably loud when the AC compressor hits a high gear. Interesting observation: the fan speed on the inside of the car does not need to be very high for the loud external noise to manifest itself.

10. EVie'sDad

EVie'sDad Member

try putting it into range mode, if you have it, that limits the amount of power the ac uses which in turn also reduces the additional noise. Overriding that to full defrost the windshield will still be somewhat louder, but it clears very quickly so as not need to be on very long.

11. bobbykansara

bobbykansara Member

Ha! I've been off the forums for a while because I've enjoyed driving my X so much! But this "AC too loud" is one of the things on my punch list to ask my SC about. Looking forward to more information whether this is normal or not.

12. Electricfan

Electricfan Member

Too loud to have a conversation while standing beside the car? Holy cow! No way that's "normal". Something needs fixing!

13. jsollender

jsollender Member

@bobbykansara I thought you were worried about delivery in the cold north, but now you've got your ac running when still cold out! Trying to reminisce about winter while it thaws up there? Seriously, can any of you living in the southern climates comment on the efficiency of the ac system on really hot days? Does it keep up or is the ac only modestly able to cool the interior?

14. loganintx

loganintx Member

There was a post by an owner who said his A/C was not working at all. He took it to SC and they found bent pin in a connector. They fixed it and he said his A/C is VERY cold now. The compressor wasn't even running initially. You'd think that would be something on the QC list though *rolls eyes*

• Like x 1
  15. roser

roser Member

I have the same super loud fan noise with the AC on if it is a warm day. Today was about 72 degrees, and I heard it. Once the car unlocks it kicks on to "cool down" the car. It drew several confused/concerned stares from people nearby because it was so loud. I have no idea if its normal.

16. CaliX

CaliX Member

My X is in the SC for repairs not related to this but I have noticed with the new loaner S they gave me the fan in front is really loud. Will be checking my X when I pick it up.

17. joebob73

joebob73 Member

In terms of noise level, yes, mine is so loud that you'd be uncomfortable having a conversation standing next to the car. I'd equate it to a loud vacuum running right next to you. If I close the garage door leading into our house, I'd still be able to hear it easily.

Regarding cooling, it was about 90-95 degrees these past few days and the AC (although loud) was very effective.

• Helpful x 2
  18. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

our X did not do this when we first took delivery..... either something wrong or a firmware updated started it...

19. Mr.science3000

Ours started to make the loud noise in the front (either compressor or fan) and alternately blow hot/cold this week. I called Tesla service and they quickly checked the logs and asked us to bring it in. Our first Tesla service visit! They clearly still have some quality problems they are working through, but I'm sure they will get these addressed for the higher VINS. Ours is 16XX.

20. FlasherZ

FlasherZ Sig Model S + Sig Model X + Model 3 Resv

The Model S had this same problem. When you don't have engine noise to cover a compressor's noise (especially a high-efficiency scroll compressor), it does indeed sound loud. The Model S received a special noise cover / blanket for its compressor when customers complained.