Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

fiksegts

Jan 6, 2013
Miami
at times we are getting a VERY VERY loud fan noise coming from the front area of the car with the AC on, our X was not doing this when we first got it, anyone else?

turning off the AC makes the car silent again.... it's so loud that standing by the car you can't even have a conversation...

What's was the temperature outside? I just tried turning on my AC and the fan was loud, but not so loud I couldn't have a conversation. However I live in Oregon and the temp here is in the 60s. Maybe try enabling range mode to see if it tones down the AC a bit?

it's been hot here in Miami. That happens frequently. It's similar to the A/C compressor from our early Model S. Sadly, I think it's normal. I'm curious to know what your service center thinks. Heck, maybe you should call while standing next to the frunk and let them hear it and tell you if it's normal or not.

Our Signature X has not made that noise (yet), but we were at the Fresno superchargers this weekend in 85F weather, and there was another Sig X charging as well. As we were walking across the parking lot, I suddenly heard a very loud fan noise coming from the other X, I'm guessing as he remotely turned on his climate control, since he left a few minutes later. It was loud enough to hear from across the parking lot, so I guess your X is not the only one to do this.

Ron
SigX VIN #484

try putting it into range mode, if you have it, that limits the amount of power the ac uses which in turn also reduces the additional noise. Overriding that to full defrost the windshield will still be somewhat louder, but it clears very quickly so as not need to be on very long.

@bobbykansara I thought you were worried about delivery in the cold north, but now you've got your ac running when still cold out! Trying to reminisce about winter while it thaws up there? Seriously, can any of you living in the southern climates comment on the efficiency of the ac system on really hot days? Does it keep up or is the ac only modestly able to cool the interior?

There was a post by an owner who said his A/C was not working at all. He took it to SC and they found bent pin in a connector. They fixed it and he said his A/C is VERY cold now. The compressor wasn't even running initially. You'd think that would be something on the QC list though *rolls eyes*

• Helpful
Reactions: Ulmo and Drivin
I have the same super loud fan noise with the AC on if it is a warm day. Today was about 72 degrees, and I heard it. Once the car unlocks it kicks on to "cool down" the car. It drew several confused/concerned stares from people nearby because it was so loud. I have no idea if its normal.

In terms of noise level, yes, mine is so loud that you'd be uncomfortable having a conversation standing next to the car. I'd equate it to a loud vacuum running right next to you. If I close the garage door leading into our house, I'd still be able to hear it easily.

Regarding cooling, it was about 90-95 degrees these past few days and the AC (although loud) was very effective.

Ours started to make the loud noise in the front (either compressor or fan) and alternately blow hot/cold this week. I called Tesla service and they quickly checked the logs and asked us to bring it in. Our first Tesla service visit! They clearly still have some quality problems they are working through, but I'm sure they will get these addressed for the higher VINS. Ours is 16XX.

Ha! I've been off the forums for a while because I've enjoyed driving my X so much! But this "AC too loud" is one of the things on my punch list to ask my SC about. Looking forward to more information whether this is normal or not.

The Model S had this same problem. When you don't have engine noise to cover a compressor's noise (especially a high-efficiency scroll compressor), it does indeed sound loud. The Model S received a special noise cover / blanket for its compressor when customers complained.