Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't think I will be a competitor.

Pulled into the Vacaville charger last night for about 10% add to get me home from Stinson Beach. There were about 6 other cars there and one Model X. It was making the biggest racket I ever heard. Later another Model S showed up and it was fairly loud too, but that Model X won hands down.

• Funny
Reactions: SSD420 and xkwizit
I don't think I will be a competitor.

Pulled into the Vacaville charger last night for about 10% add to get me home from Stinson Beach. There were about 6 other cars there and one Model X. It was making the biggest racket I ever heard. Later another Model S showed up and it was fairly loud too, but that Model X won hands down.
Thankfully that wasn't me. Mine has quite a roar too..Picnic Creek will be a riot with our loud Xs. But with EM tweeting about it to @K-MTG I have hope :eek:

Has anyone else felt the exhaust under the nose when the fan is blowing on high? Most of the time it's barely warm. That doesn't strike me as an efficient use of airflow. If there were plumes of heat being blown out, I'd at least think the fan was at the right speed setting.

Has anyone else felt the exhaust under the nose when the fan is blowing on high? Most of the time it's barely warm. That doesn't strike me as an efficient use of airflow. If there were plumes of heat being blown out, I'd at least think the fan was at the right speed setting.

Well Elon has said that they are going to optimize the fan algorithm, since it is blowing way harder than necessary. (And making more noise than necessary.)

Though some people have said it is much better once they got the lines uncrossed...

Hi, Folks
I know you think your AC compressors are noisy, but I have to believe I can top you. In shopping centers, it is so loud that people look at me like I have the Zika virus. As compressor speed changes, different parts of the car go into sympathetic vibration. The steering wheel vibration is my favorite, because I get a relaxing hand massage. Minimally, the compressor is not mounted correctly.

The service center would not do anything....meaning Tesla has told them "its a darn shame, but there is nothing we can do" or some such. I am not happy about it...especially because of what this car cost. I am hoping for a total compressor failure some day so that Tesla can replace the damn thing. It does seem to be getting noisier, so....

Oh...I was in a friend's 2016 Chevy Volt this week. The AC has plenty of capacity, but makes not a peep. Absolutely silent at any speed. Anyone else been in a Volt? The difference is pretty amazing, right? And my son's Prius is nearly silent, too.

GRRRR!!!!!

Mine would not make the fan noise while we were standing there (of course), but an X parked at the Supercharger was doing it (we could hear it from across the parking lot). They said, "Yeah, that's normal."

I live in Denver CO and I have the jet engine noise in my S that I have owned for 3 years, it just starting making this noise in the last 3 months and they are telling me its "normal". I am so frustrated with this service center. They said if I need to make it quiet at drive-ups or stoplights, then turn off the a/c and then turn it back on. Well I am sure that is how Elon meant for us to use our cars.

Does anyone have new information on this issue?

• Informative
Reactions: srini
Hi, Folks
I know you think your AC compressors are noisy, but I have to believe I can top you. In shopping centers, it is so loud that people look at me like I have the Zika virus. As compressor speed changes, different parts of the car go into sympathetic vibration. The steering wheel vibration is my favorite, because I get a relaxing hand massage. Minimally, the compressor is not mounted correctly.

The service center would not do anything....meaning Tesla has told them "its a darn shame, but there is nothing we can do" or some such. I am not happy about it...especially because of what this car cost. I am hoping for a total compressor failure some day so that Tesla can replace the damn thing. It does seem to be getting noisier, so....

Oh...I was in a friend's 2016 Chevy Volt this week. The AC has plenty of capacity, but makes not a peep. Absolutely silent at any speed. Anyone else been in a Volt? The difference is pretty amazing, right? And my son's Prius is nearly silent, too.

GRRRR!!!!!

Can you top this?!?!

https://www.dropbox.com/home/Hart T...ise?preview=Hart+Model+S+Compressor+Noise.m4v

We recently starting hearing what can only be described as a hollow metal tube vibrating noisily from behind the dash.

Just had my X a/c serviced in Raleigh today and the lines were crossed. Fixed in several hours. Quiet as can be now.

My SC says they haven't heard of this lines crossed issue

I went in yesterday and showed the service manager this forum post. Says the noise is normal. If hoses were crossed, the AC would not cool. My AC cools fine just a loud noise when it is hot out.

From all postings about lines crossed it seems like cooling was inadequate in addition to the loud cooling fan. However, for my car not only is the cooling sufficient but is in fact better than my S. On my S, i need to keep inside temp at 69 and on X at 72-74. I have a feeling on my X it is working harder than it should and so the loud cooling fan.

I brought my Model X to the Service Center last week to fix this issue plus a few others. When my advisor called me today to pick up the car, he said that they were unable to reproduce the sound. I insisted that the problem existed, and that he should have someone drive the car around in today's 100-degree heat for 15-30 minutes.

And indeed, after someone drove the car for about 20 minutes, the hollow metallic vibration from the A/C was heard. Lo and behold, after investigating the noise, the technicians discovered that those high pressure lines were crossed at the condenser!

My advisor admitted that I had told him this was likely the problem when I dropped off the car, and he said he's going to make sure all of his personnel are aware of this potential issue. He also said the vehicle's A/C should work more efficiently now as well.

Moral of the story? If you have this problem, don't pick up your car until the Service Center has looked at your A/C lines!

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo and Blastphemy
I went in yesterday and showed the service manager this forum post. Says the noise is normal. If hoses were crossed the AC would not cool. My AC cools fine just a loud noise when it is hot out.

That service manager is wrong. I had the same exact problem, as did FoxXxy above, and the problem was those crossed lines. My A/C worked just fine with those lines crossed; it was just noisy at times. Since I got it fixed a few weeks ago, the A/C is better and there's no noise coming from the front of the X. Show that service manager these posts and insist he check those hoses.

Now, my apologies if you're referring to the loud fan noise coming from under the hood instead of the hollow metallic rattling you hear inside the cabin while driving with the A/C on. This repair made no difference on the volume of the jet engine under the frunk.