Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My service advisor in Raleigh said he believed there was a service bulletin regarding the high pressure lines being crossed at the condenser when I dropped it off and mentioned the loud A/C. My receipt says they swapped crossed lines and "performed EVAC and recharge of system. Tested function and found A/C fan output to be much quieter during operation."

IMG_7696.PNG

Just dropped mine off at the service center for this and a few other small things. They tried to tell me the fan noise was normal, and they did not seem to know about any service bulletin. I urged them to look for the crossed-hose issue, and they seemed to begrudgingly say they would, but I have my doubts.

We'll see.

It is really annoying how they say 'it's normal'. When they emailed me back originally they also said it was 'normal' and in the same email said there was a problem! In the end, there was a problem, but if it wasn't for the fact that my hose was rubbing on something they would have never fixed it! I have only found one service center that actually does a great job, and that is in Rocklin, CA.

I went in yesterday and showed the service manager this forum post. Says the noise is normal. If hoses were crossed the AC would not cool. My AC cools fine just a loud noise when it is hot out.

That isn't what people have said, they say that it still works, just not very well with the hoses crossed. (Why the fan, and probably compressor, has to run at 100% to get any level of cooling out of it.)

Reactions: cclaygo
It is really annoying how they say 'it's normal'. When they emailed me back originally they also said it was 'normal' and in the same email said there was a problem! In the end, there was a problem, but if it wasn't for the fact that my hose was rubbing on something they would have never fixed it! I have only found one service center that actually does a great job, and that is in Rocklin, CA.

Will see if I can get an AC appointment at Rocklin during my road trip to SF

I think all of us need to send this message to TM that while they say it is normal operation we don't accept that. This is definitely NOT normal user experience not for an ICE car and definitely not for an electric car.
TM responded to my email escalation and said they are referring me to mucho SC (Rocklin CA) who are at the end of their wits anyway with this issue. So I will be putting the pressure back on TM for a resolution.

My view is that the a/c is loud in general compared to a normal car. So they're just used to saying its normal. But this issue is far from normal. I can't guarantee Rocklin will resolve it, but they've been great for me in the past. They put the sound blanket on my 2013 model s when Portland said the sound was normal. This latest fix I had done was in Orlando and I believe I was lucky that they fixed it.

i was recently at a SuperCharger station with three Model S's on a moderately hot day. They were all whisper quiet and I was roaring away the whole time. I don't buy that it is normal so I am trying to schedule a service appointment at Dedham. Hopefully some good will come from that.

I suspect that most of the cars that have the loud fan noise have reversed condenser lines, and left unchecked this problem may cause an early compressor failure.

My compressor bit the dust at around 20k miles, shortly after the reversed lines were corrected. Interestingly, it was still possible to drive and charge the car (at reduced rates) without a working cooling system (I made it most of the way from LA back to Reno). But with metal shavings from the compressor failure spreading throughout the cooling system, the car was seeing isolation faults. The message on the dash said something to the effect of "car may not restart at the next stop." It appeared intermittently, and I was still able to make several charge stops, but ultimately the car would not shift into Drive after a dinner break.

The Reno service center had the car for about a week, replacing the chiller, compressor, fan assembly, lines, and a few other things. It now works perfectly. The A/C blows colder than ever, and the cooling system fan is as quiet as my P85D used to be.

From all postings about lines crossed it seems like cooling was inadequate in addition to the loud cooling fan. However, for my car not only is the cooling sufficient but is in fact better than my S. On my S, i need to keep inside temp at 69 and on X at 72-74. I have a feeling on my X it is working harder than it should and so the loud cooling fan.