Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I brought my Model X to the Service Center last week to fix this issue plus a few others. When my advisor called me today to pick up the car, he said that they were unable to reproduce the sound. I insisted that the problem existed, and that he should have someone drive the car around in today's 100-degree heat for 15-30 minutes.

And indeed, after someone drove the car for about 20 minutes, the hollow metallic vibration from the A/C was heard. Lo and behold, after investigating the noise, the technicians discovered that those high pressure lines were crossed at the condenser!

My advisor admitted that I had told him this was likely the problem when I dropped off the car, and he said he's going to make sure all of his personnel are aware of this potential issue. He also said the vehicle's A/C should work more efficiently now as well.

Moral of the story? If you have this problem, don't pick up your car until the Service Center has looked at your A/C lines!

Foxxy and Blastphemy, which service centers are you guys using? I just got my car back from the Burbank Service Center and they said that my VIN was not affected by the crossed condenser lines according to a service bulletin. Also, they pulled the logs, but nothing was out of the ordinary. My fan is loud and my energy usage is over 400 WH/mile these days in 80-85 degree weather (90D). I do hear a weird bearing type of noise occasionally so I am worried about both efficiency and about the life of the AC system. If you have better luck at other Service Centers, let me know.

First time I went to the SC they said the loud AC was normal. I brought it back again to have them check for the swapped hoses and sure enough mine were swapped. They fixed up the car and the AC is definitely quieter than before, but I wouldn't say it's quiet, it's more on the loud end of normal now, compared to being a jet engine before. I'm very happy with the current sound levels. Previously it was impossible to have a conversation at all, now you can have a conversation, but you just need to speak slightly louder than normal.

This is the before fix and after fix with the AC at "LO".

image.png
IMG_3288.PNG

• Informative
Reactions: Ulmo
First time I went to the SC they said the loud AC was normal. I brought it back again to have them check for the swapped hoses and sure enough mine were swapped. They fixed up the car and the AC is definitely quieter than before, but I wouldn't say it's quiet, it's more on the loud end of normal now, compared to being a jet engine before. I'm very happy with the current sound levels. Previously it was impossible to have a conversation at all, now you can have a conversation, but you just need to speak slightly louder than normal.

View attachment 188740 View attachment 188741
I am SO glad you did this. I wanted empirical data....I regretted not doing so when I had mine swapped. I feel the difference is pretty substantial, especially in the car....at an intersection. (My wife doesn't need to duck in shame that her silent electric car is louder than a mustang with flowmasters..lol!)

• Funny
Reactions: SSD420
Brought mine in this week to Sunnyvale for 3rd seat recall and a few trim issues (had it since March). Told them it sounded like a Jet Engine at the Supercharger and was embarrassing (and also did it with AC on and people looked at stop lights...only a slight exaggeration). Got it back and its way better now, very live able. Pretty much silent at the SC today, and a low fan noise when I turned on the AC from the Mobile app. Also noticed the AC seems much colder, It was ok before..now it's down right cold :)

Invoice says:

Concern: Customer states: Inspect Position of A/C Condenser Pipes
Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Reposition A/C Condenser Pipes And Replace Desiccant Bag
The condenser lines have been installed correctly and the ac has been recharged.

I was at the Fountain Valley supercharger today and had another X parked right next to me. Our cars had been charging for a while and when we returned to the cars, we both started the air conditioner. Mine was markedly louder than his (my Vin is 001984, so much older) while his had just a slight fan noise (didn't get his VIN, but he just picked up the car 2 days ago). Sounds like the newer cars are much quieter. I have an appointment with the service center on Tuesday and hopefully I get mine as quiet as newer X's.

Reactions: chloedog
I was at the Fountain Valley supercharger today and had another X parked right next to me. Our cars had been charging for a while and when we returned to the cars, we both started the air conditioner. Mine was markedly louder than his (my Vin is 001984, so much older) while his had just a slight fan noise (didn't get his VIN, but he just picked up the car 2 days ago). Sounds like the newer cars are much quieter. I have an appointment with the service center on Tuesday and hopefully I get mine as quiet as newer X's.

Keep us updated if they have a fix for you. Lots of people had their issues due to the swapped condenser lines. I don't know why tesla wouldn't proactively reach out to customers to get them to go into the service center to get that issue fixed. Sounds like it impacted a lot of the early vins.

@ABCD: Yes, I remember reading your post. I took it in and the service center told me that they couldn't find anything wrong. Not sure, if they looked closely since I imagine that they'd have to do some significant work to truly determine if there is a problem. Therefore, I am going to another service center to see if I can find a better resolution.

@chloedog: I bet the complexity of the diagnostic/discovery process and then of the repair itself may be causing overworked service centers to require extra nudging to resolve this. Will keep this thread updated.

View attachment 188740 View attachment 188741
Well..in my MX AC measures at 85-90db in jet mode with inside temp settings at 74. At the same time, the MS measured at 75-80db. My SC has confirmed that AC lines swapped issue does not apply to my MX. I believe EM tweeted some time ago that they're working on a software tweak to reduce the noise.

I got my X back from the Service Center, and lo and behold, they found that I had crossed condenser lines. This, despite another service center stating that I did not have the issue. Well, long story short, the car is much quieter now when the AC is on. I would imagine that if it gets really hot, it would still get very loud though. So far, in driving around 90 degree weather, it's been as quiet as the loaner Model S we had (meaning not silent, but just a fan whirring type of noise). This fixes that last major issue from our low vin car. Hopefully, we can enjoy it now. Lots of little rattles though!

Reactions: ohmman
I got my X back from the Service Center, and lo and behold, they found that I had crossed condenser lines. This, despite another service center stating that I did not have the issue. Well, long story short, the car is much quieter now when the AC is on. I would imagine that if it gets really hot, it would still get very loud though. So far, in driving around 90 degree weather, it's been as quiet as the loaner Model S we had (meaning not silent, but just a fan whirring type of noise). This fixes that last major issue from our low vin car. Hopefully, we can enjoy it now. Lots of little rattles though!
Wow..awesome ..makes me wonder if I should get a second opinion from another SC. I do respect and like the foreman and service manager at my SC but maybe some other service foreman has better knowledge about this issue.

Wow..awesome ..makes me wonder if I should get a second opinion from another SC. I do respect and like the foreman and service manager at my SC but maybe some other service foreman has better knowledge about this issue.
I think you should. This isn't the first report of someone getting the "everything's fine" response and then finding out that everything is not indeed fine. Whenever I get mine back (still haven't heard a thing!), I am very hopeful it will be actually fixed. Getting a "everything's fine" response will make me a sad dude.

If your X sounds louder than a Model S, then I'd suggest taking it to another Service Center and asking them to check it out. I told the second SC, that it was absolutely not normal and I had another X park next to mine and it was much quieter when he and I had our AC on at the same time. This second SC was great and told me that, even if the computer didn't flag my car, they'd do a visual inspection to confirm. When in doubt, you could always ask them to pull another X and compare the two cars for you.

If your X sounds louder than a Model S, then I'd suggest taking it to another Service Center and asking them to check it out. I told the second SC, that it was absolutely not normal and I had another X park next to mine and it was much quieter when he and I had our AC on at the same time. This second SC was great and told me that, even if the computer didn't flag my car, they'd do a visual inspection to confirm. When in doubt, you could always ask them to pull another X and compare the two cars for you.
Yes it is definitely louder than my MS. You can't talk standing next to it or order at a drive thru. I can't imagine taking it to a drive in theater with the racket it will create.

@joebob73 Was your 2nd SC Van Nuys? They seem to have a good grasp of issues. (not to suggest others don't) I've only used Van Nuys.

Yes, Van Nuys was my second Service Center. My first SC is closer, but I drove the distance to Van Nuys to get the issue resolved once and for all, based on a recommendation here on the forums. Glad I did!

@xkwizit, I'd totally recommend a relook by either the same SC explaining your issue or another one all together. Before the fix, I couldn't make it through the drive thru window at In-N-Out without yelling at the speaker.

Thank you for the details. Much appreciated. Now I wonder if we need to make noise louder than the cooling fan to make them find a solution. As of now, they seem to be considering it normal operations which is really annoying. :mad:
This has been on at least 4 of my work orders BEFORE my car exited it's warranty period (160,000km). At 165,000km, AC has stopped working entirely.