Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very loud fan noise from frunk area with AC on...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In my 2016 X it was the condenser lines that were switched. Once they reinstalled the lines the jet engine mode is gone. Not sure if that’s the same issue with current models. Also, remember when the car is still, there is no wind cooling down the battery so the fans have to work harder.

Much appreciated in advance if you can kindly inform this group what your SrC will do to fix/address this issue. Thanks.
I am having mobile service come out to replace a bad sensor in my passenger FWD with phantom object issues. They are also going to look at the AC, though I haven't heard the jet engine recently so I'm not sure they'll be able to do anything they cannot reproduce. I'll let you know.

Having a similar issue with my 2016 Model X and it starters after a recent firmware update. Going to keep bugging the SC here in Austin to find a fix.

Video here for anyone experiencing something similar.

YES! Mine (also a 2016) isn't quite as loud now. I have had, I believe, the condenser replaced, and they just recently replaced some wires when it actually quit working. It's still there though. I'm out of regular warranty now and each time I take it in it's another $200. :(

Folks, I took my “sounds like two shop vacs running in the frunk” 2016 P90D Model X in to Tesla Service. Got it back after they worked on it all day and they said there was absolutely an issue and it was covered by a TSB and they fixed it. They did not seem to want to give more details.

I asked for my paperwork and they told me it would be sent to my email. A full day later nothing has come to me.

I drove it on a 300 mile trip today with two supercharging stops and there was no shop vac noise. None. And, by the way, the Cabin AC seemed to be much more effective.

But let me add a caveat. The high today was only around 75- 80 degrees today. My mind says it happened at that temp before would have happened at this temp but I cannot be certain.

My S is a 2015, and it started life noisy....then got worse. After a few years of pestering, Tesla changed the compressor. My S is quieter than my wife's new X!

Update:
Had Mobile Tech come out specifically for this issue and upon summoning the car out of the garage, he knew immediately it was AC Compressor. I mentioned to him how loud the X gets when supercharging and he advised we stay away from supercharging until the compressor is replaced. My appointment is next week and the Austin SC and fingers crossed the dreaded noise goes away once and for all!

My 75D sounds like a jet engine in Texas heat. I think it's pretty embarrassing to be so loud, but I wasn't aware they'd do anything to fix it. Sounds like it's a crap shoot to see if they will fix the issue or not. Guess I can always ask since I have the occasional phantom object issue with my door that needs to be looked at.

one of the things that seems work on my 2019 X to reduce the noise that I have found is to set the temp to > 75 for a minute or so then lower the temp. I think this will give it time to build up compression without being maxed out with lower temperature settings? just a guess...

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcook4590
one of the things that seems work on my 2019 X to reduce the noise that I have found is to set the temp to > 75 for a minute or so then lower the temp. I think this will give it time to build up compression without being maxed out with lower temperature settings? just a guess...

I’ve tried this with my 2016 X but the sound becomes unbearably louder (inside and outside the cabin) when the back row climate is toggled on even at the higher temps. Again, this might be because of the compressor issue I’m having.

djfunk, my X is now making the same noises. I have a service scheduled for 2 weeks from now. Please keep us updated on your situation.

Just got my 2016 Model X back from the Austin SC and I’m happy to announce they replaced the AC compressor and now the X is whisper quiet! Had to press them on the issue but worth it. No more loud noise when Supercharging either!

I have the work order that explains the situation and associated resolution. If you or anyone else experiencing this issue needs it, just PM me!

Thanks!

I have a mx performance that was manufactured 6/19 that’s having the same issue. I made a service appointment and they said the noise was normal, and sat me in another mx on the lot that sounded the same with the AC on. My work around is to keep the AC on 3 or lower. I prefer to have the AC on Auto but the noise is way too annoying. Anyone have a mx Raven that is quiet with AC on Auto?

I have a mx performance that was manufactured 6/19 that’s having the same issue. I made a service appointment and they said the noise was normal, and sat me in another mx on the lot that sounded the same with the AC on. My work around is to keep the AC on 3 or lower. I prefer to have the AC on Auto but the noise is way too annoying. Anyone have a mx Raven that is quiet with AC on Auto?

Interesting. I thought perhaps this was an isolated issue to only the 2016 MX's. I had to press the SC several times on the issue and what was most annoying was the extremely loud sound coming from the compressor when supercharging. It was very obvious especially with other Tesla owners around. Wasn't expecting this type of issue with a $100K vehicle. My MX is whisper quiet now after they changed out the AC compressor. I know this is an expensive fix which I'm sure they weren't happy about doing while under warranty but I just had to be persistent. Hope that helps!

Mentioned in a previous post (I have a MX 2019 Raven) my workaround, I start with the temp >=75 for about a minute or so, then lower it (I'm thinking it has to build up pressure) Also, I will use the mobile app to set the temp to 75 and once I get to the car I can lower it. This works for me, not sure about older MX's...