Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very noisy when my car is warming up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Billbrown1982

TM3 LR 2021 | Red | FSD
Dec 21, 2020
Basildon
I can't find anyone else talking about this so don't know if its just normal. But when I wake up in the morning and switch my car climate control on to get it nice and toasty, I walk out the front door to be greeted by this.

Is it normal? It seems very loud to me?

I think much of the noise is the heat pump and ventilation, the noise varies depending where it's directing the heat from and too, depending how the octovalve is set.

Also the motors are used to help generate extra heat while preheating, you can hear them too.

I've noticed the noise in my car has got a bit quieter over the weeks, I guess everything needs to bed in.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
I can't find anyone else talking about this so don't know if its just normal. But when I wake up in the morning and switch my car climate control on to get it nice and toasty, I walk out the front door to be greeted by this.

Is it normal? It seems very loud to me?

The cars can be fairly noisy when generating heat (vibrating the motor stators) and running fans but that loud whine is not something I've heard. (Mine is a non heat pump model.)

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
Blimey. My neighbours wouldn’t be happy if my car did that in the morning. I hope the heat pump ones are not all like that :-(
Yeah to be honest its louder than the video makes it sound. Luckily I never need to warm it up at night, but I wouldn't really want to right now.

Just waiting patiently on any other heat pump owners to chime in!

Also, it goes off as soon as I open a door and the car fires up properly. So I assume it probably is one of the motors as has been suggested.

Have you a small person trapped in your boot doing the hoovering?

(On my ‘69 LR/AWD I always think the stator noise comes predominantly from the front rather than rear - not as loud/buzzy as that IIRC though. Is it an SR?).

• Funny
Reactions: init6
I think much of the noise is the heat pump and ventilation, the noise varies depending where it's directing the heat from and too, depending how the octovalve is set.

Also the motors are used to help generate extra heat while preheating, you can hear them too.

I've noticed the noise in my car has got a bit quieter over the weeks, I guess everything needs to bed in.
I have a model 3 with no heat pump. Ive heard that noise a couple of times. If I unplug the charging cable and plug it back in the noise stops.