Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very noisy when my car is warming up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have exactly the same thing on my 2021 MiC LR. Booked a service, gave them the video, they recreated the noise and said it’s expected and is the heat pump.

I asked why aren’t all heat pump models making the noise. They said they didn’t know. I complained that I could hear it from inside my house. They said the noise is “within tolerance”. Not overly happy.

• Informative
Reactions: Billbrown1982
I have exactly the same thing on my 2021 MiC LR. Booked a service, gave them the video, they recreated the noise and said it’s expected and is the heat pump.

I asked why aren’t all heat pump models making the noise. They said they didn’t know. I complained that I could hear it from inside my house. They said the noise is “within tolerance”. Not overly happy.

Wow....well that is disappointing for sure.

Also, not sure I buy it....as i'm sure you will agree its really bloody loud but i've never heard it when the car is "running" Even when i'm parked up somewhere after a drive with the climate control still on.

Surely the heat pump would make the noise at other times too, not just when the car is cold and your preheating the cabin?

Last edited:
Just to add... My car was very noisy (similar to the video) at first when preheating, but it's definitely got much quieter with use. The very first time I heard the heat pump start up, I thought it was a diesel engine. Then the noise changed to a whine which I also could hear indoors. Now it's much quieter, but I hear what sounds like it taking deep breaths occasionally.

So it might be worth keeping an eye on it for a few weeks.

Wow....well that is disappointing for sure.

Also, not sure I buy it....as i'm sure you will agree its really bloody loud but i've never heard it when the car is "running" Even when i'm parked up somewhere after a drive with the climate control still on.

Surely the heat pump would make the noise at other times too, not just when the car is cold and your preheating the cabin?
I’d say you should book a service appointment anyway. If there are enough instances of people complaining about it then they’ll be more likely to do something about it.

Also just for clarity, this is what they wrote about the issue in my service invoice:

Carried out investigation into customer concern. Checked for alerts present at time of fault and no alerts were present relating to customer concern.
Carried out thermal test and found heat pump operation normal, noise caused from heat pump is due to compressor RPM ramping up and will be louder when revolutions of increase (heat pump working harder) This is especially noticeable when pre conditioning.
This creates no cause for concern and upon testing no issue can be found with the heat pump system. If you hear a different noise than supplied in the video then please do raise this as a concern however buzzing from the heat pump is of normal operation.

Also just for clarity, this is what they wrote about the issue in my service invoice:

Carried out investigation into customer concern. Checked for alerts present at time of fault and no alerts were present relating to customer concern.
Carried out thermal test and found heat pump operation normal, noise caused from heat pump is due to compressor RPM ramping up and will be louder when revolutions of increase (heat pump working harder) This is especially noticeable when pre conditioning.
This creates no cause for concern and upon testing no issue can be found with the heat pump system. If you hear a different noise than supplied in the video then please do raise this as a concern however buzzing from the heat pump is of normal operation.
The heat pump is in the front. The whining coming from the rear is definitely not the heat pump.

How do you mean?

Could the sound be propagating to the rear of the car. The heat pump causes vibrations, the coolant is being pumped around, add that to the motor vibration, fans, and then we hear this buzzing noise from the rear through the sound resonating into that part of the car.

Like bass can make panels vibrate, even though the source of the energy is the speaker.

So, I just went outside when its quiet and fired up the climate control again. As you can hear there's 2 seperate sounds, first one sounds like the fan running, but the second one....maybe it is the heat pump? But i'm almost 100% certain its not coming from the front of the car.

Just need to reduce the size of the video so that I can add it to the service request.