Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very noisy when my car is warming up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I just went outside when its quiet and fired up the climate control again. As you can hear there's 2 seperate sounds, first one sounds like the fan running, but the second one....maybe it is the heat pump? But i'm almost 100% certain its not coming from the front of the car.

Just need to reduce the size of the video so that I can add it to the service request.

I think an exorcist may be in a better position to help you than Tesla service. on this occasion.

So, I just went outside when its quiet and fired up the climate control again. As you can hear there's 2 seperate sounds, first one sounds like the fan running, but the second one....maybe it is the heat pump? But i'm almost 100% certain its not coming from the front of the car.

Just need to reduce the size of the video so that I can add it to the service request.

I absolutely recognise the sounds from mine in the first few weeks of ownership. I wish I had recorded mine to compare, at the time I just thought it normal. For me, was always when the battery is cold and I started charging.

Yours does sound louder but it's difficult to tell because I've turned the volume up to listen and your phone will have some gain on the microphone, plus you are standing near.

But the tone and whine is so very familiar. When you were stood at the front of the car, that's definitely the heat pump, I recognised that sound instantly.

I so wish I had recorded mine now. But, as I said, I've not heard mine that loud for a while now.

Reactions: Billbrown1982
Well raised a SC Appointment last night and just picked the closest date, being monday.

Phone call this morning, asked for the time that I recorded video so they can start remote diagnosis and would I be happy leaving the car with them on Monday....

I don't wanna! 😭😭😭😭😭😭

Well raised a SC Appointment last night and just picked the closest date, being monday.

Phone call this morning, asked for the time that I recorded video so they can start remote diagnosis and would I be happy leaving the car with them on Monday....

I don't wanna! 😭😭😭😭😭😭
Yep this is what they did with mine too - looked at the logs from the time I recorded the video. They were also able to reproduce it when I brought it to the SC. Hopefully you get a better resolution than me! Let me know how you get on

Yep this is what they did with mine too - looked at the logs from the time I recorded the video. They were also able to reproduce it when I brought it to the SC. Hopefully you get a better resolution than me! Let me know how you get on

Oh I didn't realise you actually got all the way to that stage with it, I thought they had just dismissed it from your description. Hmmm

Well spoke to them today, I need a courtesy car as they want to keep the car for a couple days, so the appointment has been moved to next month when a courtesy car is available. Will see what happens between now and then, the sound might sort itself out a bit? Can only hope.....might also add my glovebox usb to the service as well as it seems to move around and make my stick lose connection? Not had a chance to look at it properly myself yet.
I would upload it to Youtube and then send them the link in the service request.

Thats what I ended up doing just including the link and they were fine with that. I wasn't sure they would have been willing to watch something on an external site like that - but wasn't a problem.

Had a play with it today - sat in the passenger seat talking to my mate for a good half hour, heater on full blast and it didn't make the noise.

Got out, locked the car, turned it on remotely...still nothing.

So its obviously only doing it when the car is cold, which lines up with what some other people have said.

So, car was due into the SC today, I added that a bit of door trim needs replacing a few weeks ago to the same ticket.

Yesterday I get a text telling me the door trim isn't in stock yet, so they postponed my appointment until some random friday in May.

That was no good for me so I rang them up and argued a bit, told them I had booked today off work specially and they then agreed to take a look at the noise and sort the door trim out another day, possibly with a ranger.

So I dropped it off today and picked up my 5 year old Model S loaner vehicle....which I REALLY don't like. Now we just need to see what they end up saying or doing.

Side question - I don't suppose there's anyway to temporarily have the car work with my app right? I feel like i'm really going to miss having remote access for preheating and such.

Reactions: Mperkins28
I’d like to know that too - popped in for a ‘while you wait’ to replace some headliner..2 hours later oops something wrong with the headliner so they’ll need to order some more, might as well see to the dent in the boot and overspray at the same time, so here’s your loaner.

LR model 3 with FSD enabled. Firstly I’d like to have it on the app to play with summon. Secondly...bloody hell does it shift! Don’t know if it has the acceleration boost added or not but damn.

I’d like to know that too - popped in for a ‘while you wait’ to replace some headliner..2 hours later oops something wrong with the headliner so they’ll need to order some more, might as well see to the dent in the boot and overspray at the same time, so here’s your loaner.

LR model 3 with FSD enabled. Firstly I’d like to have it on the app to play with summon. Secondly...bloody hell does it shift! Don’t know if it has the acceleration boost added or not but damn.

In comparison this S they have given me feels like a right boat to drive. I'm actually really glad because I had knightmares of being given a higher spec car and then not wanting to take my 3 back, but this thing makes me long for my 3 like never before.

In comparison this S they have given me feels like a right boat to drive. I'm actually really glad because I had knightmares of being given a higher spec car and then not wanting to take my 3 back, but this thing makes me long for my 3 like never before.
Have you driven a non luxury ICE car recently? That comes as a shock once you have become used to a Tesla! I generally call it “agricultural” ...

You can check if acceleration boost has been enabled if you see "chill" and "sport" option. I've noticed other factors also affect the acceleration.

Ha when I dropped mine in to be investigated for the same issue a few weeks ago I was also given an S loaner and hated it. It was a right boat with loose steering.

Just to update: I turned on the climate remotely for the first time in weeks yesterday. When I went out to the car it was making a noise but nothing like as loud as it was originally. Could be the software update I got since or the fact I’ve driven a few hundred km since, but happy it’s quietened down anyway

The LR has AWD with 2 motors ... if you hadn't noticed a significant difference from the SR+ when putting your foot down that would be the surprise! ... it's quite a step up and competes closely with the Performance in certain speed bands ... even without the power boost. Of course just driving along with your right foot in happy green efficiency mode it's not going to be noticeable at all! It's reasonable to say that an SR+ is quite quick but not dual motor quick!

Well, had a text today to say the work has over-run into tomorrow....not the end of the world.

But then I randomly logged into my app tonight to see this...... 😭 😭 😭

To be fair, I'm kind of glad they have at least found a problem - rather than just saying its "in spec" and giving me the car back.

Screenshot_20210415-201158_Tesla.jpg

So, another text today saying it's overrun until monday. So I rang em.

Waiting on parts, no ETA and apparently it's a radiator outlet hose.

Admittedly I know nothing about cars and even less about Teslas but they are confident that is what is causing the noise 🤷

Weird. Part has to come from Tilburg so just have to hope it shows up next week. Or I might take my car back if they don't think it's causing any harm.

Surely though I would have been firing coolant or water all over the place if a hose and as bust so I'm not really sure what's going on.

Reactions: init6