Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Orange vs Magma Orange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@TEG, YES. That is absolutely Magma Orange. Great find!

Reminds me of that early Corvette C6 color...

8f575b3a9ede0a600c9336a75ed2c18c.jpg

Some details for you here. Paging @kokoro...

@Roadster - :) The orange one I helped sell just arrived (last week) in California. I was happy to hear it made it there without a scratch and a bit sad that I didn't have the motivation to purchase it myself. There are still a handful of Roadster's over here sitting and waiting for a loving owner but it's just not the right time for me.

The guy who purchased the orange one here (865) said he is going to make a post on the forums here about the shipping experience. He was able to get a shipper that picked up the car from the dealer here in Japan with a flatbed and took care of everything...for something like $1500 to the west coast!

Japanese people are generally extremely meticulous with their cars (especially speciality items like this) so purchasing a used one from Japan is a pretty safe bet in my mind.

Let me know if my services are required again. :) This one is just north of Tokyo and the price is close to the other two I've watched go already. I'm getting fairly proficient with parsing the drive logs. :)
ロードスター ロードスター(埼玉)の中古車詳細 | 中古車なら【カーセンサーnet】

Kokoro

P.S. The total price on the one I linked to above (238) is a bit misleading. That price (4,590,000 Yen which is about $41,200 at today's rate) includes a safety inspection, maintenance and also ignores the fact that if this car is shipped outside of Japan it will need to be deregistered. Doing so will result in a cash refund for the insurance that has been paid through September of 2018. So, my point is, the price it can be had for is probably closer to the 4,390,000 ($39,418) and that is before negotiating. ;-)

Last edited:
This one is just north of Tokyo and the price is close to the other two I've watched go already. I'm getting fairly proficient with parsing the drive logs. :)
ロードスター ロードスター(埼玉)の中古車詳細 | 中古車なら【カーセンサーnet】
Kokoro

Although it looks really nice, that is a right hand drive, so wouldn't be the best fit for someone in the (LHD) USA.
Might be better for some in UK or Australia if the market is too soft in Japan.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak and kokoro
Tesla didn't make up most of the colors they used, for instance the Silver is a GM color. The magma orange cars were probably custom orders, just like the lavender one, the House of Kolors, candy black cherry, the candy apple red and the candy yellow. I have photos of these cars from when I was at the lotus factory.

(from memory)

There is a "black cherry" (or Blackberry) Roadster that a body shop owner did himself. It is like metallic red base, with black lacquer on top. It looks black until the sun hits it, then it throws off red highlights.

VFX had that custom copper paint on his Roadster (#500).

Elon had custom paint on one of his Roadsters. It started out copper, then got repainted multiple times until the "Candy Apple Red" was just right. That is the color they copied/used for the gift Roadster given to the head of Toyota.

A gentleman in the UK had his Roadster painted in a custom Fiat dark blue (which has a reddish-purple tint to it.)

Candy yellow? Don't know about that one...

I have seen the custom lavender in person.
And the Ford Mystic painted Roadster that has a lot of color "travel" between green and purple.
There was a custom pearl white (not the same as arctic white) that burned up in the Gruber fire...
There was a roadster done in "Gulf blue" (light blue with orange stripe) to match old race cars.
And a custom metallic purple 2.0
The final five US roadster offered some new colors (I think maybe more Ford Mustang choices), like the "Ion Blue" and "Atomic Red" or something like that.

I this Magma Orange may have been part of a move by Tesla Europe to offer some more colors near the end of production?
There were those "Insane Green" Roadsters we saw. And some other color options mentions like "Galactic Gray", "Pear", etc.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
Tesla Updates Iconic Roadster for 2012 in Limited Markets
Tesla Roadster Receives Upgrades for 2012
This is the last edition of the electric sports car, with the vehicle only being offered in Europe, Asia and Australia. In case you are wondering about the availability, Tesla said that the upgraded Roadsters will be sold “while they last”.

Here is the full list of changes for this year:

• Exclusive encore colors - Cosmic Black, Galactic Gray and Magma Orange - with new, complimentary interior colors
• A rear snow cover and improved motor and inverter systems for even better performance in snow and ice
• Improved air conditioning for driver comfort in the hottest months
• Xenon headlamps ideal for rural night driving
• Enhanced front windscreen seals to make the cabin even quieter
• Two new Mobile Connectors available for charging in Europe and Japan
• The Tesla IEC Type 2 (Mennekes) Mobile Connector enables charging from Type 2 stations and outlets, the most common EV charging infrastructure in Europe
• The J1772 Mobile Connector enables charging from a developing infrastructure of public J1772 charge stations in Japan

"The Tesla Roadster is the first and only of its kind: an electric sports car with exhilarating performance, zero emissions and gorgeous looks," said Tesla Vice President of Communications, Ricardo Reyes. "This latest version embodies Tesla's commitment to constant improvement. These Roadsters are our best ever."