Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Orange vs Magma Orange

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So quite simply, can anyone please tell me what the difference is between Very Orange and Magma Orange? I know the Magma Orange was offered near end of life for the roadster (2012ish) in limited markets (Europe and Asia, but not North America). But specifically, what is the comparison of the two (metallic vs non, richer color, washed out, brighter, darker, deeper, etc). I have been unable to find facts about the differences. With our global economy and the internet, I am certainly expanding my search for the right roadster, so want to understand the differences.

Thanks!

I have never seen a Magma Orange Roadster, nor seen one advertised for sale. Apparently they are rare. If as you say they were not sold in North America, and you are located in North Carolina, you are unlikely to have the opportunity to buy one in your part of the world. And importing a Roadster from Europe sounds like a hassle, as well as being more costly.

Are you focused on getting an orange Roadster over other colors? Obviously, I can appreciate that. :cool:

Let's just say I've expanded my search, both geographically and color wise. Fusion red and ...orange are now among my possible choices. And yes I agree, importing a roadster sounds like a haste, but honestly, I've got this obsession thing going on with the car, and have become quite particular about what I will spend money on. Life is short, so waiting around and scanning eBay, Autotrader, and the Tesla for sale forum here every day is getting old. Autotrader has the same cars over and over, not much going out, and not much coming in, and my patience is thinning!

Thanks!

From what I've been able to tell from the limited photos and videos online of the color, Magma Orange seems to be a more subdued, more copper/gold type of orange. Similarly, Very Orange is bright, vibrant, and has hues of yellow in certain lights. Apart from that, it seems kind of similar. I'd imagine it has more color-changing depth in different lighting, much like Radiant Red and Electric Blue do. For example, in sunlight my E-Blue looks extremely blue, but in cloudy weather, it looks more turquoise, which is awesome.

tesla_roadster_2012_2.jpg

Here's Magma Orange...

241.jpg

Here's Very Orange in direct lighting.

I wanted Very Orange in the worstest way. Still do really, but you can see what I ended up with 4 years ago. Good choice, not waiting :) The joy to be had driving now, regardless of the color, is immense.

I've told myself I could always get the car wrapped, and there are some very nice orange wraps. I'm too busy with other stuff to carry through on that idea, but if telling yourself that you might get it wrapped someday, then you can expand your search to any color that's not actively a problem for you!

Heck - you could even choose a color you really dislike as additional motivation to get the wrapping done once you have it.

(I think you can see the theme)

Reactions: DeedWest
Ha! Yes I'm not getting any younger @Tesla 940, that's what I've been telling my wife in trying to convince her regarding the whole roadster purchase. She has now given in, a couple days ago finally she said, just get one! But yes, I'm a perfectionist and an engineer, so getting a car wrapped might be a constant initiator of the OCD response that engineers like me inherently suffer from. It is a curse to be sure. I'm giving myself until the end of the year at this point. I'm thinking, come August, once the M3 is getting out, there will be a "flood" (relatively speaking) of roadsters hitting the market.....could be wrong, but that's my hunch.

As for expanding my search....well this is quite frustrating. To be sure, there are some incredible roadster specimens for sale in Europe. I was pursuing an awesomely equipped Magma Orange late 2012 Roadster Sport with full carbon inside and out for a really good price. I was ready to fly over to get the damn thing, but after exhaustive research on importing into the US, it became apparent that it would never happen. Unless the car is 25+ years old (classic car), it looks to be virtually impossible to get anything into our country. I read several stories of disasterous results of enthusiasts trying to import late model cars into the US only to be denied at customs. Yea, an EU spec'ed roadster will meet EPA requirements for sure, but not US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS). Unless the EU cars have the US sticker in the door jam stating they meet FMVSS, forget it. So, I don't know factually this isn't the case, but I'm guessing they don't have this sticker (can someone check an EU roadster, just to be sure?). I know the EU cars don't have TPMS and surely 2012 models don't have dual stage airbags either (this is why there are no 2012 roadsters in the US). So 2011 EU models wouldn't have an issue with the dual stage airbags as 2011 and earlier US models didn't have them either (due to an exemption that expired after 2011). But, they would not meet TPMS requirements either, and not sure what else?

So, some of the cars that were exported to Asian (Japan) probably do have the sticker as they were actual US spec'ed cars. Not sure about our roadsters in the great white north! I'm guessing they would be ok?

Anyway, this has all been a let down of sorts, we will see how my patience sustains itself over the next few months.

Definitely get the color you want; I know I'd never be happy with a re-paint or a wrap. I had to expand my search when I bought mine too, since I originally wanted blue or green only. Saw the Fusion Red in person and ended up liking it enough to buy.

My roadster is now with its new owners out in the SF Bay Area. :p

I miss the uniqueness of the car, and the fun of sharing it with people in public who had no idea what it was or that it was an EV. I don't miss having to worry about the scarcity of parts, potential battery problems outside of a warranty, etc.

Being a tech nerd, the Model S has been awesome so far with all of its bells and whistles. A future generation roadster with the same tech as a Model S would certainly be on my shopping list though. :)

From what I have painted and seen personally there are 3 colors of orange. Vins before 250 or so had a Tricoat orange. 241 for sure is a Tri coat. Very orange did not get the pearl top coat. I have repaired both. After looking at the photo posted here, I would assume the Magma orange is the original color. The early cars are way more expensive to paint. Hence the change. The Thunder grey also was changed. I have access to the formulas, I will post them one day for future use. Color codes are useless if your a painter and don't have the actual formula.

IMG_3034 (5).JPG
IMG_3032 (5).JPG
IMG_3033 (2).JPG
Original Thunder Gray also has a pearl topcoat and has a purple tint to it. Photo 1 is the later color, 2 and 3 are the early color last two are the early color. Note the blue and other related colors of pearl in the last photos two.. I just so happen to have 9 roadsters here two of which are gray. Early and late

• Informative
Reactions: DeedWest