Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very poor customer service at Tesla Colorado delivery center -anecdotal story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

voip-ninja

Give me some sugar baby
Mar 15, 2012
Colorado
Well I had the 2nd poor experience with a Tesla store and this one was quite a bit worse than the first, so I feel I need to vent my spleen a bit.

I get that it's just the actions of one employee, but having been in customer service myself for a very long time in a previous life I find this kind of thing inexcusable.

My wife and preschool aged son and I thought it would be fun to drive by the Tesla delivery/service center on Broadway in Littleton CO on the off chance a Model 3 was there, such as a customer car awaiting delivery, a car charging, etc.

We drove around the lot kind of disappointed and then spotted a single Model 3 charging.... so we got out to very briefly look at it. The car was filthy, but my wife got a bit excited since it's the first time she's gotten to see the version I've had on pre-order since day one.

My son was cold and wanted to "look at more cars" so we decided to step into the showroom. As we walked in a young sales person asks what brings us in and I mention that we just stopped in to see if there was a Model 3 awaiting delivery just so we could see what it looked like.

At this point he rolls his eyes and in a huff says "we don't have any demonstrator cars you can look at and we don't expect we will have any until 2019".

Wow, okay there bud. I know thousands of people have had the nerve to ask you about the most popular pre-ordered car in automotive history but you could take the chip off of your shoulder and understand that I'm your customer, and I have given Tesla an interest free loan for nearly two years on this car and can be just a little excited about it. What's more, I already told you I know you don't have demonstrators but maybe we would get lucky and see one.

Sheesh.

It gets better though. He comes back over a few minutes later while we are looking at the design area and my wife is asking what colors I like... He asks when I am supposed to get my car. I comment that I pre-ordered on day 1 so should get invited to configure soon, my delivery estimate for first production is April-June 2018, but I'll probably hold off for AWD or at least give them more time to work the early gremlins out.

He then comments "well you won't get the tax credit then".

"what?, the tax credit just starts to phase out when the 200K car is delivered and that hasn't even happened yet, and even then you get the full credit for that entire quarter, and then it phases out gradulaly over the next several quarters, you will get some part of the credit, no matter what, into 2019 unless tax law gets changed!!".

"well, you've got bad info, and if we build these cars as fast as we are going to build them you won't get a tax credit if you wait".... or something more or less along those lines.

He had a real smug look on his face and after trying to explain for another few minutes how he was completely WRONG about all of this and maybe do some goddamn research like I have on the tax credit, my wife, seeing I was losing my cool finally pulled me away.

As I mentioned, this is the 2nd time I've been treated this way in a Tesla store. Tesla, you need to treat your customers better. I get it that people are wildly excited about your new car and that for the first time ever you've got to deal with lowly people like me buying a $50,000 car instead of a $100,000 Model S or X but come on! Since this keeps happening either I am the biggest jerk on the planet (wife says no) or this kind of attitude is coming from management of these stores, and trickling down to rank and file employees which is horrible.

I've bought Audi, BMW, Infiniti, Acura, and I have never been treated like this by a sales person from any of those companies.

While the "customer is always right" is a terrible expression (because it's mostly false), you can't have sales people or customer advisors or whatever you want to call them getting their rocks off by arguing with your customers, especially when they are wrong and giving out bad info!

I don't even know if I want a damn Tesla know if this is how they operate.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk and bro1999
...have never been treated like this by a sales person from any of those companies...

I thought they are more like educators than sales.

Too many people have been drinking Kool-Aid and naively kept hoping the timeliness of the production timeline.

It's good to get another perspective from another person even though I might not like it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Eclectic
If they sell # 200,000 on July 1st,
- Q3 + Q4 will be full 100% Federal Tax Credit
- Q1 + Q2 will be 50% of the Tax credit
- Q3 + Q4 will be 25% of the tax credit

All of 2019, you can get some tax credit.

If they sell # 200,000 on July 1st,
- Q3 + Q4 will be full 100% Federal Tax Credit
- Q1 + Q2 will be 50% of the Tax credit
- Q3 + Q4 will be 25% of the tax credit

All of 2019, you can get some tax credit.

Yes, I understand this. The Tesla employee I interacted with did not, and was very smug and rude about it. I have to wonder if they've been told to anti-sell customers who are waiting on different versions of Model-3 including AWD using some reference to tax credits.

Reactions: bonaire
...if they've been told to anti-sell customers who are waiting on different versions of Model-3 including AWD using some reference to tax credits.

Model 3 anti-sell is not a secret in Tesla

However, Tesla gets more profit margins with AWD than RWD.

In this case, I don't think he's trying to anti-sell you the more profitable version in exchange for hurrying you up for the currently less profitable version.

Reactions: DMack and bonaire
Yes, I understand this. The Tesla employee I interacted with did not, and was very smug and rude about it. I have to wonder if they've been told to anti-sell customers who are waiting on different versions of Model-3 including AWD using some reference to tax credits.

If told to anti-sell, they should not lie about why.
Print out a little card of the run-down quarters like I have made above and give it to them if they seem "non-plussed" that you won't buy a Model S on the spot. I think the guys are still not getting commissions but they are given a quota per-quarter.

Reactions: voip-ninja
You may want to call the store manager and let them know they have an employee giving out incorrect info. As for the attitude, maybe that employee was having a bad day. I've had nothing but positive experiences at the Raleigh store, even when I hang around and chat with them for 15 or 20 minutes, trying to wheedle some details about the performance Model 3. Everyone there is very nice.

I definitely got the anti-sell with the Model 3 when I went into a dealership and mentioned that I had preordered it, and even through Tesla tries to go against the grain when it comes to traditional vehicle salesmanship, there was definitely some up-selling done to me when I was looking at my options.

I rolled into the Dedham MA store a week ago just as they had finished unloading a bunch of 3s. I hesitantly asked if it was ok to check them out in the back lot. The Tesla employee directed us right back there and the employee inspecting the incoming vehicles toured us around the new 3s which was so cool. Saw all the different colors and wheel combos(they're all gorgeous) and she even fielded a bunch of questions from us. Never felt like I was being dissuaded from ordering a 3.

@voip-ninja I am very sorry to read about your experience in my store and would like to discuss your experience further. I am PM'ing you my contact information and look forward to connecting with you.

-Conner
Littleton Store Manager

- Conner, what we'd really like to know is if the individuals make up the "tax credit running out" sales tactic or if it comes down from HQ. The primary thing is we have seen numerous threads on TMC about this matter and that is from different stores. It is starting to feel like "Tell'em that the credit is running out and try to make an MS sale during the quarter rather than keeping the Model 3 reservation long-term." We know that Jon McNeil has left and as such, it would be "ok" to let us know that Jon may have instituted the tactic. We also know that many Model 3 reservation holders have been contacted to "come in for a Model S or X test drive."

I definitely got the anti-sell with the Model 3 when I went into a dealership and mentioned that I had preordered it, and even through Tesla tries to go against the grain when it comes to traditional vehicle salesmanship, there was definitely some up-selling done to me when I was looking at my options.

In the end, despite no "dealerships", Tesla is in the business of selling hunks of metal with wheels just like GM/Ford/Nissan/Toyota etc. The only real difference is the fact you can't/don't haggle at a Tesla store. If people went into traditional dealerships with the "I'm happy paying MSRP!" mindset, their purchase satisfaction level would probably be just as high as Tesla customers.

... The only real difference is the fact you can't/don't haggle at a Tesla store. If people went into traditional dealerships with the "I'm happy paying MSRP!" mindset, their purchase satisfaction level would probably be just as high as Tesla customers.

Except when there is a car high in demand many dealerships will charge higher than MSRP.

There's also the issue of high-pressure tactics that traditional dealerships use to get people to buy overpriced services like Scotchguard.

Reactions: BrokerDon
In the end, despite no "dealerships", Tesla is in the business of selling hunks of metal with wheels just like GM/Ford/Nissan/Toyota etc. The only real difference is the fact you can't/don't haggle at a Tesla store. If people went into traditional dealerships with the "I'm happy paying MSRP!" mindset, their purchase satisfaction level would probably be just as high as Tesla customers.
If GM/Nissan/BMW etc products were worth MSRP, they could sell them that way.

I’m not excusing this Tesla employee’s behavior, but I will say smug know-it-all salespeople acting dismissive to curious customers is hardly unique to Tesla or the automotive industry as a whole. I’ve experienced it in almost every major purchase category in my life from consumer electronics, to motorcycles, to luxury vehicles.

Reactions: jaguar36
I’m not excusing this Tesla employee’s behavior, but I will say smug know-it-all salespeople acting dismissive to curious customers is hardly unique to Tesla or the automotive industry as a whole. I’ve experienced it in almost every major purchase category in my life from consumer electronics, to motorcycles, to luxury vehicles.

I once had to explain to a loan officer how amortizations work.