TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Very poor to no 3G and GPS signal

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by robert774, Apr 12, 2015.

1. robert774

robert774 Member

I got my new S85D yesterday and am thrilled with everything so far except for this: despite driving around various parts of Houston where I know there to be reliable cell tower signals, I am getting very poor 3G reception. In fact it never got above two bars, and mostly was at no bars or one bar with the 3G indicator missing. I ended up using my phone's hotspot to get a connection strong enough to do anything. Also, the GPS frequently put me on a completely different road than I was really driving, and of course, gave me poor directions as a result. I am on the latest 6.2 firmware.

My theory is that either these radios are bad or something is shielding their normal operation. I have seen some posts over here about poor 3G since 6.2 was applied, but none of them seem to be as severe as mine.

Before I start working with Tesla service and end up having the hassle of taking my car in, do you all have any steps I should try? I did reboot the main panel but that did not seem to help.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

2. Barry

Barry Member

Sounds like they forgot to plug in the antennas.

OTOH, it may be a plot by the Texas auto dealers and their corrupt politician friends. :smile:

3. captain_zap

captain_zap Electron tamer

I had this problem with our 2012 P85, with 3G (GPS was fine). The 3G antennas are in the side mirrors and were replaced. No problems since.

4. flybob08

flybob08 Member

Generally mine works pretty well in Houston, hence likely an antenna connection issue

5. robert774

robert774 Member

Thanks everyone. I will ask them to check the antennas.

6. 3s-a-charm

3s-a-charm Active Member

Good to know. I've had very infrequent reception in the past few weeks. Was wondering if it was just me.

7. GaryREM

GaryREM Member

Have you tried a reboot? Quick and cannot hurt.

8. robert774

robert774 Member

Yes I rebooted the main screen to no avail unfortunately.

9. RDuke

RDuke Member

robert774 - what did this problem turn out to be?

10. robert774

robert774 Member

They are going to replace my entire 3G harness tomorrow. It has been a long ordeal, about six weeks from diagnosis to repair (hopefully) tomorrow. Apparently the Houston service center team has never replaced one of these... they told me they did not know how long it will take. Yikes!