Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Wasnt there a tesla here that was hit in the rear by a tractor trailer and drove it home. It was pretty convincing that the rear area was safe.

Sad to hear about this family. Prayers go out to them!
It won't ride up on a car because it has a bumper at the right level for both crash protect and aerodynamics, versus a car design for suburban curb-hopping.

Of course, there's nothing the rear bumper can do if the car behind goes over and on top.
Based only on the few photos available, that appears to be what happened. The Tahoe has a relatively high bumper and it was obviously going dangerously fast and out of control (since it initiated the crash the Tahoe driver was clearly not "in control"). It appears to have overrode the Tesla rear bumper and impinged into the rear trunk are, with tragic results.

Based only on the few photos available, that appears to be what happened. The Tahoe has a relatively high bumper and it was obviously going dangerously fast and out of control (since it initiated the crash the Tahoe driver was clearly not "in control"). It appears to have overrode the Tesla rear bumper and impinged into the rear trunk are, with tragic results.

It looks to me like he smashed into the back and everything in the back crumpled. It doesn't seem as if the tahoe crashed on top.

I appreciate all the expressions of sympathy. I did not have rear-facing trunk seats. My daughters were in the normal second row, with their seat belts on. At the time of the accident, my car was stopped on the freeway (as was the traffic ahead of me). I believe the car that rear-ended me was traveling at roughly normal highway speeds.

Very, VERY sorry to hear of your loss and my sympathies to you and your family.

Tesla owners/fans are a close knit group and so when someone is involved in a tragedy it feels like we lost one of our own, even if we have never met.

• Love
Reactions: gene and privater
Also, my younger daughter, who was killed in the crash, was 10 years old, and about to start 6th grade in middle school next Monday.

Don, I don't even know how you can type these messages. While they are appreciated, please know that our hearts are broken over the news and your loss. If there is anything the Tesla family can do, please let us know.

I can only wish you a speedy recovery Don, and my heart goes out to you and your family... As others have said, we are a special family of Tesla owners, who will feel each other's pains.... an emotional pain which disturbs me greatly for your loss. My thoughts are with you.

• Love
Reactions: gene