Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Really sad to hear about this, Don. We all hope your elder daughter's condition improves soon. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

SadTesla.png

Blessings & condolences to the Geddis Family.
AdamKanas2.jpg
AdamKanas.jpg

Man charged in crash that killed 10-year-old girl; had prior DUI conviction

A man suspected of driving under the influence in a freeway crash that killed a 10-year-old girl on the I-405 in Seal Beach on Monday was on probation for a prior DUI conviction, authorities said Wednesday.

Adam Kanas, 36, of San Clemente was charged on Wednesday with one felony count of gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated with a prior conviction, and three felony counts of driving under the influence of drugs causing bodily injury.

Prosecutors said Kanas was allegedly driving under the influence of cocaine and opiates at about 9:20 a.m. Monday when his 2013 Chevy Tahoe swerved left over the double-yellow line into the carpool lane and struck the rear of a 2015 Tesla near the Seal Beach Boulevard exit on the northbound I-405.
AdamKanas2.jpg
AdamKanas.jpg

A man suspected of driving under the influence in a freeway crash that killed a 10-year-old girl on the I-405 in Seal Beach on Monday was on probation for a prior DUI conviction, authorities said Wednesday.
View attachment 190539 View attachment 190540

This tragic incident should cause us to evaluate the laws that don't go far enough to regulate light trucks in my opinion.

Why is anyone on probation for DUI allowed to drive a tank like the Tahoe? Seriously, driving anything heavier than a moped should be outlawed after a DUI conviction! Driving is a privilege and driving a "light truck" should be restricted only to those citizens who have demonstrated through their pristine driving records and a special permitting process that they can be trusted by the rest of the driving public to operate these dangerous (heavy, mis-matched bumper heights, prone to roll-over) machines.

It does make me wonder how strong the back of all cars are - most safety test videos normally show a front, off-centre front (to simulate a country road with no barrier type road collision) and side impact - and cars have improved massively in the last 15 years in these areas. But I can't recall any showing a rear impact. Is it even part of the test?
Secondly - as you probably all know if a Tesla is sold with the rear facing jump seats then it has its rear section strengthened with an extra reinforcement beam. I can't help thinking that a similar collision would cause less damage to the rear of the car - and probably help rear-seat passengers too. A stronger cage and the inertia would act more to shove the car forward than damage the car. Does anyone know the height of the extra reinforcement beam - is it fitted higher up? Maybe Tesla could look to strengthen this part of the car too?

Secondly - as you probably all know if a Tesla is sold with the rear facing jump seats then it has its rear section strengthened with an extra reinforcement beam. I can't help thinking that a similar collision would cause less damage to the rear of the car - and probably help rear-seat passengers too. A stronger cage and the inertia would act more to shove the car forward than damage the car. Does anyone know the height of the extra reinforcement beam - is it fitted higher up? Maybe Tesla could look to strengthen this part of the car too?

This is how things look under the bumper cover. I installed an eco hitch to carry bikes and to install you remove both the regular steel (black) bumper and the high strength boron steel (body color). Maybe there is additional structural reinforcement deeper in the back of the car also but I'm not sure. Photos show both bumpers removed on ground then the boron reinstalled over the hitch and finally the regular steel bumper.
IMG_4556.JPG

IMG_4558.JPG
IMG_4559.JPG

IIRC new models (D models and newer?) don't require additional reinforcement for the rear jump seats. Apparently the added rigidity is already in all newer models? Can anyone confirm?
I've heard that speculation, but I don't believe it's true. I think the speculation started when people were able to get the RFS retrofitted at about the same cost as buying it from the factory ($3k I think? $3.5k?). The speculation ensured in that thread that they must have come reinforced, and I believe (and I could be remembering wrong) the OP came back and said that the $3-3.5k included adding additional reinforcements as they would do in the factory.

• Helpful
Reactions: Caligula
The pictures of the Tahoe show its front reinforced bumper and frame acting as a battering ram right into the cabin of the the Model S.

In a head on collision you have 2 reinforced frames going head to head absorbing impact. The Model S did what it was designed to do and crumple, unfortunately it seems that the Tahoe's reinforced bumper did not and pushed its way forward.

My blood pressure rises and am emotionally upset just seeing the pictures of the guy and the fact he had a prior DUI. May Kendra rest in peace and pray for a speedy recovery for both Kayla and Don.

This is how things look under the bumper cover. I installed an eco hitch to carry bikes and to install you remove both the regular steel (black) bumper and the high strength boron steel (body color). Maybe there is additional structural reinforcement deeper in the back of the car also but I'm not sure. Photos show both bumpers removed on ground then the boron reinstalled over the hitch and finally the regular steel bumper.View attachment 190580
View attachment 190581 View attachment 190582

In your pictures, the flatter body-colored beam is the reinforced bumper. My car does not have this reinforcement (or rear facing seats) as verified when my Ecohitch was installed (TeslaPittsburgh.com: My Baby Gets Back: Torklift EcoHitch Review)

The regular steel bumper is what all cars have. That said, it doesn't seem like it would be difficult to obtain and add the reinforcement beam for those who desire to do so. I thought about it when having my hitch installed but reasoned it would stiffen the structure and pass through forces rather than absorb them.

I don't think anything can be done to prevent the kind of devastation a stopped car will experience when rear-ended by another vehicle at highway speeds.