Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very sad... Fatality in a Model S on the 405

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The 7 year old would have still been required to be in a booster seat. The chance of the kids not being bucked in is really small.

The seatbacks of the rear seats sit above the wheels. The crash damage shows the Tahoe pushed beyond that, especially on the passenger-side of the vehicle. That's going to be bad, seatbelt or no.

Really sad. Makes me want to go hug my little guy.
Yeah even with proper seat belts and seats, such a crash is going to cost lives. Often I'll seee infannts riding on the lap of the passenger seat. Or a gang of kids rioting a back seat, out of control and no seat belts to be seen. Much smaller crashes and mere swerving/braking would kill then.

Here's a pic from the scene of the accident taken by one of the passengers from the Honda that was hit from behind by the Tesla. That passenger says they were traveling at a speed of about 5 mph when they were hit, so it stands to reason that traffic was at a near stand still when the SUV came barreling up from behind at a high rate of speed and crossed into their lane. Here's an excerpt from a FB post of that passenger and his account of the accident:

"I almost died yesterday on the 405 Freeway because of a reckless, drunk driver. I was riding with XXXXXX and XXXXXX in a black Honda Civic, sitting in the rear passenger seat. We were coming to a stop in the carpool lane, riding 5mph, just chatting and listening to reggae. Then out of the blue, we hear a car honk right behind us, a loud crash, then in a split second, an even louder BANG came from our very own collision. Everyone in our car was fortunately alright. However, the family behind us was not. We look over to our left hand side to see a black Chevy Tahoe, completely Smashed into the Tesla that was originally behind us. Behind the wheel of the Tesla was a father that had blood all over the back of his head. Because of shock, the father was moving on autopilot, without any reaction on his face, attempting to save his two unconscious daughters, whom were pinned between the car seats and the Chevy Tahoe. One daughter behind the drivers seat was 7 years old, stuck next to her was her 13 year old sister. The drunk driver in the Tahoe was alive, physically unscathed, and frantically pacing back and forth. To our surprise, the CHP showed up to the scene no longer than 10 seconds from the horrific collision. Turns out they have been receiving reports and phone calls of a black Tahoe swerving in and out on the 405 freeway, and were already in the pursuit of the drunk driver. The CHP, Fire Fighters, and employees of MR. C Towing spent the next 15 mins trying everything they could to pry out the door and save the 2 little girls stuck in the Tessla. After pulling out their bodies, they said that the 7 year old girl did not make it. The 13 year old, although breathing, was still unconscious and was put into critical care. The father, which I don't think was even conscious during the entire ordeal, was placed on a stretcher and sent to critical care. I remember the drunk dunce behind the wheel of the Tahoe was being interrogated by the CHP right next to me, and was asked the question as to why this happened. The idiot says, "I was late and in a rush." He was cuffed, and was taken to jail.

Don,

My heart and prayers go out to you. I can't imagine what you are going through. I am a father of 3 kids (2 young daughters) and I can't fathom the pain you must be going through.

I hope your other daughter is doing well. Please let your Tesla family know if we can do anything for you or your family.

I feel so sick to my stomach reading all this. I can't imagine what the family is going through. This is one of my worst nightmares and the reason I fearfully always check my rear view mirror, especially with my son in the rear facing seat. I have even preplanned to slam the accelerator if I think a car is going to rear end me hard.

I trust that Tesla has reinforced the 7-seat Model S. I was going to buy the Eco-Hitch next spring, but I think I may get it now so that I can 1) check that the reinforcement was properly installed and 2) create extra rigidity to the rear with the hitch. I know it'll mean worse whiplash for my wife and I, but I'd rather have my head snapped off if it means my kids survive a rear ended accident.

To perhaps the few that wonder why I'd put my son in the rear facing seat, it comes down to statistics. Though his biggest danger is a high-speed rear end crash like this one, most rear-end collisions occur with far less force -- and for all the other angles, particularly front end collisions (that are often accompanied with much higher forces) he's far more safe.

Reactions: Max* and DFibRL8R
When I'm driving my SUV, I do not drive in the left lane. Doing so is dangerous and inconsiderate to more "nimble" traffic behind you.

I strongly feel that trucks and SUVs should NOT be allowed in the left lane. They should stick in the right two lanes only. I don't get why someone has to drive an SUV 80MPH in the left lane. It's a truck and has no business in the left obstructing vision for everyone behind it. There's a reason semi's don't drive in the left and are speed-limited on most highways.

The left lane should be for passing only, and truck/SUV should not be allowed anywhere near it. Your chance of a fatality is 4x more in a car vs. truck scenario. I avoid trucks like the plaque.

My condolences to those injured in this terrible accident.

Reactions: Krypto Kat
When I'm driving my SUV, I do not drive in the left lane. Doing so is dangerous and inconsiderate to more "nimble" traffic behind you.

I strongly feel that trucks and SUVs should NOT be allowed in the left lane. They should stick in the right two lanes only. I don't get why someone has to drive an SUV 80MPH in the left lane. It's a truck and has no business in the left obstructing vision for everyone behind it. There's a reason semi's don't drive in the left and are speed-limited on most highways.

The left lane should be for passing only, and truck/SUV should not be allowed anywhere near it. Your chance of a fatality is 4x more in a car vs. truck scenario. I avoid trucks like the plaque.

My condolences to those injured in this terrible accident.

LOL... Come on... Be reasonable... SUVs and pickup trucks have just as much right to the road as a prius or a Model S... You do realize that with your own ridiculous restrictions, the Model X couldn't be in the left hand lane(s) either???

Jeff

I can't imagine the pain of a parent losing a child of any age, let alone a 7 year old. It will be permanent. My heart goes out to the family.

As for the driver of the Tahoe I'd want to kill the SOB. Life in prison is not enough. Agree that DUI laws are way too lenient. But we have the alcohol industry lobby to contend with. Stricter controls would diminish consumption and profits. And we know where their priorities lie, and it ain't life.

Reactions: CSFTN
Be reasonable... SUVs and pickup trucks have just as much right to the road as a prius or a Model S...

Hi Jeff,

I would argue that there-in lies the problem. I believe that no-one has a "right" to be in the left lane. It should only be for passing. The problem is when an SUV or truck driver (or any driver) parks themselves in the left lane going 65MPH when the other lanes are moving freely "because it's their right and they're at the speed limit." Legally, they are correct, but it shows a certain selfishness.

Although I avoid the left lane (since that's where all the unsophisticated drivers tend to congregate), if I am there for some reason, my eyes are constantly scanning the rear-view mirror. If any car is closing I will promptly move over. By design SUVs are large and have a high center of gravity. They simply cannot be driven safely at the same higher speeds as a car due to physics. Therefore, if an SUV is cruising in the left lane in most urban areas, they are either driving at an unsafe speed or being inconsiderate compared to faster traffic behind them. Of course this is a generalization and there are exceptions. Would you be OK with semi-trailers in the left lane?

Not to get too far off-topic, but I also cringe when I see the "lifted" trucks. Sure they look cool, but I'm surprised they don't get ticketed due to their blatant disregard for the DOT bumper height standards and regulations. As you probably know, bumper heights for passenger cars and trucks are set by the DOT. This is to minimize one car literally running over another in an accident. These lifted trucks would decapitate virtually any other car in a head-on or frontal-offset collision, maybe even a rear-end collision. Total disregard for anyone but themselves.

Reactions: CSFTN
let's maintain the original intent of this thread - express our sincere condolences to the family for their loss. We are all on the same boat - trying to protect our kids from all bad elements. Roads are dangerous, and this accident was completely avoidable. It hurts, big time!!

I am also a bit worried that the Tesla rear body structure above the bumper area, looks to be rather soft :=(. I read somewhere that the total metal (mostly all aluminum) weight outside of the reinforcement structure is only 480lbs. There is reinforcement cross beam at the top (for panorama roof, to hold the car's weight many times in case of rollover), and there is side impact vertical B pillars for side impact protection. Front has good crumple zone, and hopefully a reinforced firewall area to protect the occupants, for taller front-end collisions that miss the front bumper. But, due to the rear hatch design (it's quite open from rear seats out to end of car, just a hatch panel) , if the rear ending vehicle is a taller vehicle (like the SUV in this case) that misses the rear bumper area, then the rest of the back of the Tesla Model S is an "open" area - SCARY! I think the traditional sedans will have similar issues too unless then run a firewall like metal cross-beam structure to protect rear occupants (but then they lose the foldable back-seats open area). Don't know if Tesla could do something here. US roads have MANY SUVs & trucks, all the more scary for low sprung cars. I am thinking Model X, just being taller by a few inches, might have done a better job protecting the rear occupant in this case. All water down the bridge, but now I am more aware of this gaping unprotected open space.

I often think about this horrible accident. I wonder how Don and his 13 year old daughter are doing, but I'm afraid to ask. I hope to God she is okay. I also have a daughter the same age. Not that this could be any more horrible, but it seems to make it even worse that he went to the extra effort and expense to drive his family around in one of the safest vehicles, and then to have this happen. Sometimes you just can't win. I also wonder how fast the truck was going that hit them, and if this same thing could easily happen again. Don, I'm so truly sorry that this happened to you and your family.