Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very slow performance on Theater apps

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all. I tried to search for this several different ways and I didn't come up with anything...

2021 MY AWD LR, took delivery in February. (I believe this would imply HW3?) Theater worked well at first but after some software update, unfortunately I'm not sure exactly which one, everything got miserably slow. I've been through a couple of software updates with no resolution; currently on 2021.4.18.2. I have also been through numerous scroll wheel reboots with no improvement. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and especially if anyone is on a later software which caused it to be resolved? Is it something worth bringing up in conversation with a SC?

Hello all. I tried to search for this several different ways and I didn't come up with anything...

2021 MY AWD LR, took delivery in February. (I believe this would imply HW3?) Theater worked well at first but after some software update, unfortunately I'm not sure exactly which one, everything got miserably slow. I've been through a couple of software updates with no resolution; currently on 2021.4.18.2. I have also been through numerous scroll wheel reboots with no improvement. I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this, and especially if anyone is on a later software which caused it to be resolved? Is it something worth bringing up in conversation with a SC?
The infotainment is run by the Intel Atom processor. I believe Tesla chose that processor due to it's low power draw. It's not a fast processor but it sips energy from your battery and it's more cost effective. The new S Plaids have the new fast and efficient AMD processors from the PS5 and Xbox Series X but it's significantly more expensive than the Intel Atom processor.

I bought my MY with the infotainment and camping in mind. Netflix and YouTube are useless- they work intermittently and only after a reboot. You cannot fast forward or rewind. It simply doesn’t work. By far the most disappointing facet of the car. It would be fine we’re it not explicitly advertised as a feature.

I bought my MY with the infotainment and camping in mind. Netflix and YouTube are useless- they work intermittently and only after a reboot. You cannot fast forward or rewind. It simply doesn’t work. By far the most disappointing facet of the car. It would be fine we’re it not explicitly advertised as a feature.
They worked fine until recently, so obviously it *can* be fixed. Now will it be fixed ???

Reactions: Type 5
All computer components degrade over time. The sweet spot is getting quality components that will last the life of the car. If Tesla wants to make a car that can last a million miles, they'll have to make a computer that lasts that long too.
No, that's not true. Sure, SSDs and other solid state memory degrade, but nothing else does. The slowdown is due to software bloat, not failing components.

No, that's not true. Sure, SSDs and other solid state memory degrade, but nothing else does. The slowdown is due to software bloat, not failing components.
Components like the CPU or anything with thermal paste/heat transfer pads need to be replaced over time. If they are not maintained and replaced, the CPU and heat sensitive components will not be able to cool down enough due to poor thermal transfer rates and they will thermal throttle their performance.

• Disagree
Reactions: Tundrok
Components like the CPU or anything with thermal paste/heat transfer pads need to be replaced over time. If they are not maintained and replaced, the CPU and heat sensitive components will not be able to cool down enough due to poor thermal transfer rates and they will thermal throttle their performance.
Ok there is some truth there, but having worked developing software for the past 30 years, software bloat is almost inevitable while not using disciplined practices (cough cough). And its effects (cache misses, non-localization of data and code) are far greater than that of a throttled CPU. We have deployed systems running 15 year old code on computers just as old and they are running as well as they did on day one.

Yea very disappointed with their choice of using the Intel Atom processor in 2021 (heck even 2018). I took delivery July 26th and had the same slow/delayed experience everyone else has had. I am still stuck on 2021.3.103 firmware and was hoping a new firmware would fix those issues as it is possible with coding optimizations but sounds like that did not happen with the new release.

Yea very disappointed with their choice of using the Intel Atom processor in 2021 (heck even 2018). I took delivery July 26th and had the same slow/delayed experience everyone else has had. I am still stuck on 2021.3.103 firmware and was hoping a new firmware would fix those issues as it is possible with coding optimizations but sounds like that did not happen with the new release.
for 2018 models Tesla would have made the silicon ( atom) choice some time in 2015. Besides performance of the silicon, cost , power consumption & life of the silicon and business terms also play an important in consideration on selection of the processor. So we really cannot comment on the choice of intel Atom, without knowing all the underlying conditions . ( full disclosure- i do not work for any semiconductor company)

Theoretically that could be marginally possible. But I've been in the tech industry for many, many decades and have yet to see an unchanged computer get slower over time, certainly not in the timespans under consideration here.
My company has systems that have run unchanged without performance issues for over a decade.
There is no "maintenance" to perform on an integrated system such as these.
Slowdowns of a modern computer system are 99.9% down to updated software - if the slowdown happens within the timescales being discussed here then the likelihood of it being software are more like 99.9999999999 ;)
Maybe if you're talking a homebuilt PC with water cooling to stretch performance to the bleeding edge, then maybe. But that isn't what's fitted to cars.

Reactions: laiod and Amped412
This seems like it is clearly a software optimization issue to me considering the other computationally intensive operations the car can do fairly quickly (like navigation/maps or AP interface). It seems strange it would suddenly struggle to display a YouTube slider.

Given it appears to use YouTube’s native web interface (and probably Netflix’s too) I would assume the constraint is with JavaScript and/or HTML rendering performance.

In theory it should be possible to make some significant improvements in performance on the existing hardware, let’s hope that happens at some point.

I think people just need to keep complaining to them (or Elon on twitter). The software is just not efficient. Look at how smooth the GPS system is. Then open up the sh*tty browser. Yeah, it's not all the atom's fault. The Youtube app is fast... then it has some memory leak and it slows down to a crawl. They just really need to spend more time fixing the performance issues with certain apps.

Last edited:
Reactions: yeafoshizzle
It's scary when you're driving and the passenger is looking at something on the browser and all of the sudden the screen freezes, the fans go full blast and nothing but normal basic controls work until you force reboot the whole system while still driving... that has happened twice now.
I do have to agree the performance for the theater apps is awful, and thermal paste has nothing to do w this, my car is 2 months old and acts slow only in those apps. It's 100% software optimization or the current CPU is not good enough anymore.