Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very slow software update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was in vacay with car parked at airport and my 2022.44.25.5 started downloading when I got home and it connected to my Wi-Fi. However it’s downloading super slow (50% in 8 hours) and the car is not completely shut down like previous updates.Any way of aborting this slow update so I can, download it faster with the car shut down, or should I just let it go slowly as it is. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reactions: APotatoGod
I don’t think you can abort it, but if it’s making progress and you don’t need to drive the car, let it go. Is there anything wrong with your WiFi?

I don’t know how long it took my car to download that build because I wasn’t aware of it until it was ready to install.

FYI, if you didn’t already have FSD Beta, you’re getting it now. 🙂

I don’t think you can abort it, but if it’s making progress and you don’t need to drive the car, let it go. Is there anything wrong with your WiFi?

I don’t know how long it took my car to download that build because I wasn’t aware of it until it was ready to install.

FYI, if you didn’t already have FSD Beta, you’re getting it now. 🙂
Thanks, Wi-Fi seems fine I’m streaming the Netflix, I’ve always had beta since the safety score trials began

I’m able to
Help me on that. It's a bit vague. You are steaming in the car or you are streaming in the house that may actually have a better wifi connection than where your car is located? Getting several bars showing on wifi in the car?
I was streaming in my house, indicating my Wi-Fi is ok. The proximity of my car to the router has never been an issue so I don’t see why it would be now. I’m showing 3 Wi-Fi bars . It started downloading on its own without the car completely shutting down for like 25 minute like usual. It’s been slowly downloading for 10 hours with the car fully functional And it’s at 59%. Been at 59% for almost an hour now.

Attachments

• 39F26AB7-8260-4BB8-AE58-23D5414A135D.jpeg
    39F26AB7-8260-4BB8-AE58-23D5414A135D.jpeg
    352.4 KB · Views: 510
  • Helpful
Reactions: Silicon Desert
I was streaming in my house, indicating my Wi-Fi is ok. The proximity of my car to the router has never been an issue so I don’t see why it would be now. I’m showing 3 Wi-Fi bars . It started downloading on its own without the car completely shutting down for like 25 minute like usual. It’s been slowly downloading for 10 hours with the car fully functional And it’s at 59%. Been at 59% for almost an hour now.
The car doesn't shut down when downloading the update, only when installing it. I'm not sure whether the car being active makes any difference in how quickly it downloads the update. Since the download happens automatically when you're on WiFi, you're not usually watching it happen, so it might always be this slow. The download speed is probably also impacted by Tesla server performance. Once downloaded, installing the update usually takes 20 minutes or less.

Reactions: aymelis
The car doesn't shut down when downloading the update, only when installing it. I'm not sure whether the car being active makes any difference in how quickly it downloads the update. Since the download happens automatically when you're on WiFi, you're not usually watching it happen, so it might always be this slow. The download speed is probably also impacted by Tesla server performance. Once downloaded, installing the update usually takes 20 minutes or less.
Gotcha, I never noticed the update downloading in the app before, thanks for the info, 73 % and counting……

Same for me today. Downloading 2022 45.13 aka FSD Beta v11.3.
The car doesn't shut down when downloading the update, only when installing it. I'm not sure whether the car being active makes any difference in how quickly it downloads the update. Since the download happens automatically when you're on WiFi, you're not usually watching it happen, so it might always be this slow. The download speed is probably also impacted by Tesla server performance. Once downloaded, installing the update usually takes 20 minutes or le

Same here. I've been downloading 2022.45.13 aka FSD Beta v11.3.4 for hours at ~50kbits/s 😅. Tesla server must be very busy, or using an old dial-up modem haha.

I think maybe I’ve seen 2 MB/s, but usually at 1.1 to 1.3 MB/s. Why is the Tesla server so slow? I’ve tried from the service center, but it was slow and stalled out in the middle of my download. I bought a 50’ ethernet cord to bring my router out to the garage. Still slow even though a browser speed test shows it at 20 MB/s. Tried from phone hotspot. Still slow.

• Informative
I think maybe I’ve seen 2 MB/s, but usually at 1.1 to 1.3 MB/s. Why is the Tesla server so slow? I’ve tried from the service center, but it was slow and stalled out in the middle of my download. I bought a 50’ ethernet cord to bring my router out to the garage. Still slow even though a browser speed test shows it at 20 MB/s. Tried from phone hotspot. Still slow.
Ok I thought it was just me, mine is just trying to download Nav map update and only getting 800kb/sec

• Informative
For posterity, the download process can sometimes get "stuck" at 50%. This happens to me almost every time. Once it does this, it usually takes a very long time to complete (a day even).

What it sounds like happened to the OP is that they were stuck at 50% for a while but attributed it to being slow. Coincidentally when the download started again it *was* actually slow.

As to the 50% issue, I don't believe it's related to the download speed. Some have suggested that there might be a checksum / signature verification that happens at 50%. Seems strange to me... doesn't make a lot of sense to verify the download halfway through.

You *can* restart a download by doing a soft reset (hold both scroll wheels for 4 long seconds). In my experience, the download just gets stuck at 50% again after resetting and starting over.

This just happened to me recently and the car took 3 days to fully download the update and was ultimately successful. I have had my M3 for 5 years and have never seen this. Tesla must have different download groups and by luck of the draw you might get stuck in this painfully slow one. Maybe it is in China and it accidentally routes cars there.