Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very Strange Happening

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

wdolson

Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2015
Clark Co, WA
I was out running errands Wednesday afternoon and when I got home I got the stuff I picked up out of the back and plugged in the car as normal. I remembered I forgot something in the front seat so went out to get it. When I opened the door I heard a fluttering sound and thought it odd, but thought maybe it was the radio, then heard it again and when I looked up there was a sparrow on the dashboard. I'm not sure how it got in there, but it must have happened when I opened the hatch to get stuff out.

I got it out of the car and now it's hiding behind some stuff in the garage. I'll try to encourage it to leave tomorrow.

I did find out that bird droppings clean up easily from alcantera. Something I never dreamed I'd ever learn.

I've never had a bird in any car I've owned before. They normally don't fly into the garage, nor cars. This one did both.

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus and David29
My experience of 6 years of Tesla driving learnt me to be vigilant when driving close to animals: they are not afraid at all of the car.
It feels like the car is not emitting the signals that scares them (eg noise, vibrations, smells?). This is nice but can be tricky as they sometime don't move out of the way easily :)

It wanted to hang out in your AC. :cool:

We did break the all time heat record three days in a row over the weekend (Portland area), but it was very mild today. Maybe the bird's brain fried?

My experience of 6 years of Tesla driving learnt me to be vigilant when driving close to animals: they are not afraid at all of the car.
It feels like the car is not emitting the signals that scares them (eg noise, vibrations, smells?). This is nice but can be tricky as they sometime don't move out of the way easily :)

This happened while the car was parked, but I am cautious about animals around the car. Once I had a deer standing at the end of the driveway who wouldn't move. The deer around here are very bold.

We had a love starved cat in the neighborhood who would come running whenever he saw any of the neighbors. A few times he was hanging around my car and wouldn't move. When I honked the horn he moved. After that he got out of the way when I got in the car.

Another time the same cat ran behind the car while I was backing out of the garage. I just saw his tail go by the backup camera and stopped immediately. Fortunately he got out of the way.

Fortunately for him he found a home with a crazy cat lady who showered him with attention.

Reactions: kavyboy and AustinP
The ones that don't run are the easiest to hunt, and have the most tender meat. 🍖

Hunting within city limits is illegal and the deer know it. That's probably why they're here and fearless. I threw a rock at one eating my roses once, she just looked at me while she chewed. The one at the end of the driveway was an adolescent male. Literally a young buck.

Don't bird droppings have something in them for great skin or something? Maybe it was makeup?
But they sure are bad for the paint! My car is parked in a condo parking lot adjacent to an old stone wall that has a zillion nooks and crannies in which small birds have their nests. Their flight paths are right over my car, which has suffered somewhat from 6 years of droppings.

I was talking the other day about how cheeky the deer are around here and then my partner caught this on her phone the next day

DeerDeck_2106xx.jpg

I always try and keep my garage door closed: Australia has about a dozen of the most dangerous snakes in the world and during the cold winter weather now if they aren't hibernating they look for something warm.
I don't THINK they can access the frunk, trunk or interior but I wouldn't like a brown-underpants day just because I left the door open.
Then there are spiders......

I always try and keep my garage door closed: Australia has about a dozen of the most dangerous snakes in the world and during the cold winter weather now if they aren't hibernating they look for something warm.
I don't THINK they can access the frunk, trunk or interior but I wouldn't like a brown-underpants day just because I left the door open.
Then there are spiders......

I keep the garage door closed too. We're lucky that there are no dangerous critters native, but I grew up in East LA which is a pretty rough neighborhood crime-wise. I keep things locked up out of habit even though the crime rate here is pretty low. The bird flew into the car when I was unloading the car and I somehow didn't see it. I did step away from the car for about 10 seconds to see if a package got delivered at the front door, but that's the only time I was away.