Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very strange MCU problem

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all I'm am new here a bit of history I have a 2013 Model S 85 kwh I am in the Toronto Canada area. I bought the car used back in 2017 with 57.000 km's and now it has 160,000 km's the car still had some factory warranty when I first got it and I did have the MCU replaced in October 2017 for a fan noise so it's still an MCU v1 but now has LTE functionality.
Here is the problem .......last week I was showing a friend of mine the car and when I swiped up from the bottom of the screen it went black I thought it's never done that before maybe it already has the eMMC issue I have been reading about so a quick double scroll wheel reset and it came back to life with everything working 100% the only thing I noticed is my mobile app is not working anymore my phone connects to Tesla server but the server can not connect to my car I called Tech support and we did all the usual re-set procedures double scroll wheel reset and power the car down uninstall the app ( iphone app ) reinstall and log back in still no connectivity it was suggested it may be a firmware problem and I should go to the service center to get a firmware update installed. I was at the service center in Toronto on Oct 24 for the day and the end result they say I have to replace my MCU I declined as everything is still working 100% all functions music streaming Bluetooth live map data I mean everything. So after another phone call to Tech support we reviewed what was done on the car and it was reviled 2 updates were pushed and failed so he had me hot spot my phone with the car and tried to reach my car on wifi and still no connection........Ugh.......does anyone know what mechanism is used by the MCU for output communication to Tesla's mother-ship server what could be broken ? all incoming data services are fine just the Mother-ship can not communicate with my car anymore so no more data logging and no more updates. I really want my mobile app function back.. Sorry for my very long first post any help is appreciated.

Hello all I'm am new here a bit of history I have a 2013 Model S 85 kwh I am in the Toronto Canada area. I bought the car used back in 2017 with 57.000 km's and now it has 160,000 km's the car still had some factory warranty when I first got it and I did have the MCU replaced in October 2017 for a fan noise so it's still an MCU v1 but now has LTE functionality.
Here is the problem .......last week I was showing a friend of mine the car and when I swiped up from the bottom of the screen it went black I thought it's never done that before maybe it already has the eMMC issue I have been reading about so a quick double scroll wheel reset and it came back to life with everything working 100% the only thing I noticed is my mobile app is not working anymore my phone connects to Tesla server but the server can not connect to my car I called Tech support and we did all the usual re-set procedures double scroll wheel reset and power the car down uninstall the app ( iphone app ) reinstall and log back in still no connectivity it was suggested it may be a firmware problem and I should go to the service center to get a firmware update installed. I was at the service center in Toronto on Oct 24 for the day and the end result they say I have to replace my MCU I declined as everything is still working 100% all functions music streaming Bluetooth live map data I mean everything. So after another phone call to Tech support we reviewed what was done on the car and it was reviled 2 updates were pushed and failed so he had me hot spot my phone with the car and tried to reach my car on wifi and still no connection........Ugh.......does anyone know what mechanism is used by the MCU for output communication to Tesla's mother-ship server what could be broken ? all incoming data services are fine just the Mother-ship can not communicate with my car anymore so no more data logging and no more updates. I really want my mobile app function back.. Sorry for my very long first post any help is appreciated.

This really sounds like something out of your control obviously and it all depends on the celluar connection for the communication. So, it could very well be another MCU replacement. That is the only thing that controls this.

Hello ....to all members I have been in contact with the Ministry of Transportation here in Canada I have reported the MCU failure as a safety defect they have informed me there are not any other complaints for the MCU failing I am urging everyone if they feel this is a safety concern as I do please take the time and call 1-800-333-0510 and lodge a formal complaint. Hopefully this will initiate a recall to repair this obvious defect. Thanks

Just filed that complaint as well. In the mid time my MS has a black screen and 24/7 running heat at 22c and heated seats.
Makes tons of noise from fans outside, drains the battery. I only have 61k and it is 4years 3 months old.
Tesla wants $2300 plus tax to replace the entire screen.
I want it fixed, but I’m not ready to pay $2300 because of the mil functionality of the design.

My biggest problem is the car is running heat, and when I drive it it shows 42km/h while I’m going 70 km/h and when I go 65km/h on the Hwy it actually 110-120km/h as per WAZE. I’m not confused with miles it shows km/h, I’ve never used miles, and the data is a mix of km/h with mp/h.
I will upload video in the few days of what happens here.