Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very strange service center experience center with odometer - did I get someone else's eMMC daughter board?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, I want to say my expectations of Tesla service were very low based on everything I've read here. I'm posting this thread to ask if you guys agree with what I think happened, and if you think I should do anything else or just leave it be.

Long story short - I dropped off a car with my sound system not working. They upgraded AP 2.0 hardware to 3.0, I believe they swapped in an eMMC daughter board from someone else's car, fixed my sound system, and my odometer went from 55k to 121k then back to 55k. All with no payment out of my pocket.

Longer story -
In early February I purchased a 2016 90D with 54k miles from Tesla Used Inventory. It had AP 2.0 and MCU1. The car was physically in great shape and I think I got a good deal. The MCU1 was sometimes sluggish, but not bad. I could use my voice to call someone and it usually worked on the first try. At first it was stuck on 2020.36.12 software and would not update. They corrected an "LTE" issue over the air and then the car updated to 2020.48.12.1 and since then has updated again to 2020.37.1. I'm happy except for the sound system. It has had no bass AT ALL since I accepted delivery.

Now to the service center visit last Friday. The only big issue I had left was my sound system. I got there and they said I'm there for FSD hardware, eMMC replacement, and my sound system issue. I said I didn't request FSD or eMMC replacement. The service advisor thought maybe the previous owner did and it's tied to my car. I said I'll take the FSD hardware because if they are willing to upgrade it because I am interested in potentially subscribing in the future. I also said the MCU1 seems like it's OK for now. They said they will upgrade to FSD hardware at no charge and they would do a quick check on the MCU1 but the replacement eMMC daughter boards won't be in stock until April. They said they will fix the sound system under warranty.

I go to pick up the car on Saturday. Sound system, GOOD (just a bad cable mate). AP 2.0 replaced with 3.0, GOOD. I gained dashcam :) but haven't paid for FSD so there are no other benefits I'm aware of right now. All my settings GONE. I started looking through everything and the first thing I noticed was a single destination on the map that I've never been to. Then I got to the software page and see my VIN with 121k miles, not the 55k miles I dropped it off with. After I told them, they gave me a loaner X75D and I picked up my car later Saturday with the corrected odometer.

It seems like I got someone else's old eMMC daughter board. Also after getting home I found out that voice commands basically don't work anymore. It took me 6 tries today to call my wife on my way home from work. My trip meters are very weird now. After resetting them, they all basically show that I've driven 65k miles except for the "since last charge" trip. The invoice actually shows my odometer in/out 65,633 miles apart.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Do you think this is because I got someone else's eMMC daughter board? Will I have problems related to my odometer down the road? Is my real odometer stored elsewhere on the car besides the eMMC daughter board? Any other suggestions? Should I just be happy I got upgraded FSD hardware and shut up? 🤐

First of all, I want to say my expectations of Tesla service were very low based on everything I've read here. I'm posting this thread to ask if you guys agree with what I think happened, and if you think I should do anything else or just leave it be.

Long story short - I dropped off a car with my sound system not working. They upgraded AP 2.0 hardware to 3.0, I believe they swapped in an eMMC daughter board from someone else's car, fixed my sound system, and my odometer went from 55k to 121k then back to 55k. All with no payment out of my pocket.

Longer story -
In early February I purchased a 2016 90D with 54k miles from Tesla Used Inventory. It had AP 2.0 and MCU1. The car was physically in great shape and I think I got a good deal. The MCU1 was sometimes sluggish, but not bad. I could use my voice to call someone and it usually worked on the first try. At first it was stuck on 2020.36.12 software and would not update. They corrected an "LTE" issue over the air and then the car updated to 2020.48.12.1 and since then has updated again to 2020.37.1. I'm happy except for the sound system. It has had no bass AT ALL since I accepted delivery.

Now to the service center visit last Friday. The only big issue I had left was my sound system. I got there and they said I'm there for FSD hardware, eMMC replacement, and my sound system issue. I said I didn't request FSD or eMMC replacement. The service advisor thought maybe the previous owner did and it's tied to my car. I said I'll take the FSD hardware because if they are willing to upgrade it because I am interested in potentially subscribing in the future. I also said the MCU1 seems like it's OK for now. They said they will upgrade to FSD hardware at no charge and they would do a quick check on the MCU1 but the replacement eMMC daughter boards won't be in stock until April. They said they will fix the sound system under warranty.

I go to pick up the car on Saturday. Sound system, GOOD (just a bad cable mate). AP 2.0 replaced with 3.0, GOOD. I gained dashcam :) but haven't paid for FSD so there are no other benefits I'm aware of right now. All my settings GONE. I started looking through everything and the first thing I noticed was a single destination on the map that I've never been to. Then I got to the software page and see my VIN with 121k miles, not the 55k miles I dropped it off with. After I told them, they gave me a loaner X75D and I picked up my car later Saturday with the corrected odometer.

It seems like I got someone else's old eMMC daughter board. Also after getting home I found out that voice commands basically don't work anymore. It took me 6 tries today to call my wife on my way home from work. My trip meters are very weird now. After resetting them, they all basically show that I've driven 65k miles except for the "since last charge" trip. The invoice actually shows my odometer in/out 65,633 miles apart.

Has anyone seen something like this before? Do you think this is because I got someone else's eMMC daughter board? Will I have problems related to my odometer down the road? Is my real odometer stored elsewhere on the car besides the eMMC daughter board? Any other suggestions? Should I just be happy I got upgraded FSD hardware and shut up? 🤐
You paid for the FSD. They needed to get that to you. They needed to do it without harming your car. The emmc issue is a recall. You should've gotten a 64GB eMMC daughterboard instead of a salvaged 8GB. I would ask for free MCU2 upgrade due to their inept repair. At least you deserve a 64GB new board and a proper data transfer. I lost all my data but odometer when my MCU1 died.

I was going to add that I doubt they did anything to your Emmc when they had it. My guess is that your Emmc is just actually crapping out. Mine literally went from fine to what your experiencing overnight. I was on a road trip and my odo did the same thing (car hadn’t even seen Tesla for over 6 months) I even drove over 1800 miles and the odo never moved. Not even a little bit.
Tesla tends to clear all nav history when they have the car because it’s believed (by Tesla) both resetting the Tripp meters and all nav data will help spare the Emmc. My best guess is that yours is showing degraded and they applied the above and you got your car back with what most of us have been experiencing. I’m sorry about it.

Here's what the invoice says for the mcu:

Concern: Customer has bulletin for emmc. please do media control unit health check to determine eligibility.

Performed Touchscreen health check and found meets replacement requirements. Removed and replaced internal circuit
board. Successfully installed firmware. Ensured touchscreen working properly

Your experience is consistent with mine when I brought my 2015 P85D into service to replace the failing center screen and MCU a couple years ago. When I picked up the car the odometer had 12k miles less on it than when I brought it in. They obviously replaced mine with a unit salvaged from another car. Now a couple years later replacement the MCU, which now has 60k miles on it, is beginning to fail. Clearly they are continuing the same practice of using salvaged parts in the case of your eMMC card. Fortunately I have a reservation for a plaid+ for later in the year.

Your experience is consistent with mine when I brought my 2015 P85D into service to replace the failing center screen and MCU a couple years ago. When I picked up the car the odometer had 12k miles less on it than when I brought it in. They obviously replaced mine with a unit salvaged from another car. Now a couple years later replacement the MCU, which now has 60k miles on it, is beginning to fail. Clearly they are continuing the same practice of using salvaged parts in the case of your eMMC card. Fortunately I have a reservation for a plaid+ for later in the year.
Alright so I'm not the only one this has happened to. It doesn't appear to be too common but I guess it's possible that it happens more than we think. As long as the SC doesn't mess up the odometer most people wouldn't know.