Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very strange SiriusXM behvaior (no not disappearing app)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I already have SiriusXM on an older vehicle so Im just going to transfer the service off that vehicle's Radio ID to the Tesla's RadioID. After the transfer I now have SXM audio on the Tesla but in my sirius online account I still see the old radio ID. Weird, but thats not the weirdest thing here..

Which is, I noticed that after parking the tesla back in the garage, AND closing the garage doors, I can still hear SXM channels, can change channels, etc.

This tells me the SXM music is able to come in through the Tesla's mobile LTE connection. I know for a fact I cant get the satellite signal in a closed garage (metal doors, no windows, and a double shingled roof!). heck my other sirius equipped vehical can drive under a bridge and temporarily lose the signal!

What gives? if im out of cellphone coverage will my siriusxm drop out??? can SXM ONLY work over LTE or does it have the ability to pick best available(actual satellite signal or streaming)?

and BTW yea I also suffer from the random disappearing SiriusXM app

Last edited:
Your X is getting the actual radio signal via the satellite. However, it does get channel listing and frequency via LTE for some reason. So, if you lose LTE service and were already listening to it, it will continue to play. But if you were on streaming, and try to switch to SXM, it won't load, because it needs the LTE signal to find the frequency or something. Not 100% sure on the exact technical details.

I can't say for sure as I have not seen your garage -- but with the past 4 cars I've had, I've always had SXM signal even when backing my car in, so the antenna is all the way in -- even with garage door closed, and no line of sight. And yet, I go under a bridge or a tree, and it cuts out... no clue how/why.

Just a friendly PSA for you Model X/S SiriusXM listeners. It needs the LTE for the UI channel list but if you have at least one channel in your "recents and favorites" list, you'll be able to tune in without it :). Check out my findings in the Model 3 forum if you are interested in my methodology.

Reactions: crackers8199