Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Very unsatisfying Tesla app for powerwall, especially for Australia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You know, that's what I thought! BUT instead it wants to start the day with 54% battery charge and for some dumb reason it starts discharging well in the off-peak period... Crazy algorithm man. Next time i send screen shots...
Have you given it time to work out what is happening? I think it takes a few days.

As I said, mine works very well. The battery goes to 100% during Off-peak, maintains it at 100% through most of the Shoulder and doesn't use the grid at all during Peak, unless the battery drops to Reserve.

It also anticipates sunny days, like today, where it started using that battery before Peak started knowing there'd be a lot of solar.

Have you given it time to work out what is happening? I think it takes a few days.

As I said, mine works very well. The battery goes to 100% during Off-peak, maintains it at 100% through most of the Shoulder and doesn't use the grid at all during Peak, unless the battery drops to Reserve.

It also anticipates sunny days, like today, where it started using that battery before Peak started knowing there'd be a lot of solar.
Actually I haven't given it much time to work out... Truth be told I've been a little too impatient with it.

But I have also bought a smartthings hub. Hope that works.

Set Off-peak from 22:00-07:00 and peak from 07:00-22:00 and it will do just that.
I thought about this more and there’s a problem - in winter, I also need the battery to be fully charged by 2pm before the real peak rate starts, since on TOU tariff the peak rate is eye-watering, and I need to minimise peak grid consumption.

But the App doesn’t let you set two peak rate periods in the one day, as far as I know.

I thought about this more and there’s a problem - in winter, I also need the battery to be fully charged by 2pm before the real peak rate starts, since on TOU tariff the peak rate is eye-watering, and I need to minimise peak grid consumption.

But the App doesn’t let you set two peak rate periods in the one day, as far as I know.
You have two peak rate periods in one day?

Do you only have the one Powerwall that you can't last the day?

Don't know about Vostok, but the peak periods on the Evoenergy network are 7am-9am and 5pm-8pm.
While for me (Powershop) my peak period is 1pm-8pm, I have shoulder from 7am-1pm and 8pm-10pm so I have my peak set to 7am to Midnight. That would work for your two peaks - but then I have three Powerwalls so usually make it from 7am to Midnight anyway.

You have two peak rate periods in one day?

Do you only have the one Powerwall that you can't last the day?

I don’t have two peak periods, but if I wanted to “trick” PW2 to fully charge from the grid before 7am at offpeak rates, and again before 2pm at shoulder rates (if required, e.g. cloudy day), I’d need to set two different peak periods in the App.

I have one PW2, and it’s relatively rare for it to last the whole day, and never in winter.

I don’t have two peak periods, but if I wanted to “trick” PW2 to fully charge from the grid before 7am at offpeak rates, and again before 2pm at shoulder rates (if required, e.g. cloudy day), I’d need to set two different peak periods in the App.

I have one PW2, and it’s relatively rare for it to last the whole day, and never in winter.
Have you tried setting Off-Peak 00:00-07:00 and Peak 14:00-??? leaving Shoulder 07:00-14:00?

Here are my settings:
IMG_8148.jpg

My Powerwall is always at 100% at 4am. It is often at 100% at 7am but this depends on the forecast for the day. When the forecast is for an overcast day it is typically at or near 100% at 7am.

Sometimes it gets it wrong. Yesterday, it down to 90% at 6:15 and around 85% at 7am. It was cloudy all day and the Powerwall was down to 5% (Reserve) at 9:30pm so I was paying Shoulder rates from 9:30-10:00pm:

IMG_8145.jpg

Tuesday was nice and sunny. Powerwall was at 90% at 7:15am. I also filled a SCUBA tank around 11am so the Powerwall was down to 80% at 11:30am but went back up from solar once I stopped. It got to 30% at 11:25pm.

IMG_8146.jpg

Feeling a bit dumb that I've never explored this option and have had the Self-Powered setting selected since I got the PW2.
Summer was fine with so much solar but Winter the battery wasn't really being too effective.
Excited to see how I go with this new info and setup.

Have you tried setting Off-Peak 00:00-07:00 and Peak 14:00-??? leaving Shoulder 07:00-14:00?
That’s close to what I have now (off peak starts at 10pm), but that doesn’t do what I want.

The PW2 TBC algorithm charges the battery off the grid to 100% only before the peak period starts. It does not do it before the shoulder period starts. At least not in my experience. And to “trick” it to do that, you’d need to be able to set two different peak periods in the App.

And as you’ve witnessed, the TBC algorithm does weird and inexplicable things at times.

Lol... Stay cool man
The main heating in my house in the Southern Highlands is reverse cycle Air Conditioning, sometimes called heat pump.
with an efficiency factor of 4 to 1 it is quickly becoming the best and cheapest way to warm your house.
I also have a slow combustion stove from before the AC was installed and use that as a supplement as my Solar Array and Power Wall 1 are not big enough to support AC for long in the winter. It also adds to the ambiance

The main heating in my house in the Southern Highlands is reverse cycle Air Conditioning, sometimes called heat pump.
with an efficiency factor of 4 to 1 it is quickly becoming the best and cheapest way to warm your house.
I also have a slow combustion stove from before the AC was installed and use that as a supplement as my Solar Array and Power Wall 1 are not big enough to support AC for long in the winter. It also adds to the ambiance
heat pumps are also brilliant for hidden convection heating. I have hoses through my bathroom floors and through the pool floor, so in winter it heats the bathrooms toasty warm and in summer it heats the pool water. I get a lot of heat from the 2kw it uses

Reactions: Big Earl
Well I would love that setup.

A friend of mine told me that in the US, they have these AC units that turn on at night when electricity is cheap, and they make these huge ice blocks... And then during the day when electricity is expensive and AC is required, they have fans blowing air over the ice blocks. How cool is that? Like making an AC battery out of water.

Reactions: Big Earl
The PW2 TBC algorithm charges the battery off the grid to 100% only before the peak period starts. It does not do it before the shoulder period starts. At least not in my experience. And to “trick” it to do that, you’d need to be able to set two different peak periods in the App.
As I showed above, mine charges to 100% off the grid before the shoulder starts. It does this consistently every day. What isn't consistent is what it does during the shoulder where it tries to predict what's going to happen throughout the day and tries to minimise the shoulder usage.

For me, at this time of year (cold so a lot of AC used for heatINg, and low solar), it is working pretty much exactly how I would want it to work. Sure, it gets it a bit wrong on some days but it's pretty close.

What I don't know is what will happen when the days and nights are mild and the AC is not needed for heating or cooling, and the solar picks up. My fear is that it will charge the battery too much and then I'll have excess solar fed into the grid for peanuts. I'm hoping that lengthening the peak period or shortening the off-peak period (or both) will work around that.

It is the only heating we have (Blue Mountains). Our AC system is quite old but very smart and we can leave it "on" 24x7. We have 5 separate zones for different parts of the house and each zone has 5 different time periods that can be programmed with different heating and cooling settings.

Three of the zones are for areas we don't use much and so we have them essentially shut off. The other 2 zones are set up to be comfortable when we're using them and a bit less comfortable when not using them.