Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Veteran Day and the 1 Percent

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Probably, in the title, the 1 percent caught your eye first vs Veterans Day. I am not talking about the top 1 percent income bracket, but the 1 percent of the population that has served in the military. For all those who have served, the country owes you a very big thank you. I hope that all veterans take advantage of the Veteran Benefits provided and if you don't know what is offered, please go on Veterans.gov for a list or contact one of the many Veteran organizations for assistance. Not sure if this is the appropriate place to post, but move it if required.

That’s a hell of statement. You’re assuming quite a bit here. As an FYI, you can buy a Tesla for less than a Chevrolet or ford.

"you probably don't qualify for VA benefits based on your income."

VA eligibility maxes out at about $52K income limit with 4 dependents (based on income alone. That used to be about O-4 base pay BTW). Now it depends on how much you want to go into debt for a Tesla/car/truck and the insurance to cover it. IOW, loan debt, monthly payments you really can't afford, painted with a broad brush. So yeah, it is a hell of a statement. I put in 7 years. I applied for benefits but because of my 1%er income they sent me out of the office with a smile. No Slack.

2019 VA National and Priority Group 8 Relaxation Income Thresholds

"you probably don't qualify for VA benefits based on your income."

VA eligibility maxes out at about $52K income limit with 4 dependents (based on income alone. That used to be about O-4 base pay BTW). Now it depends on how much you want to go into debt for a Tesla/car/truck and the insurance to cover it. IOW, loan debt, monthly payments you really can't afford, painted with a broad brush. So yeah, it is a hell of a statement. I put in 7 years. I applied for benefits but because of my 1%er income they sent me out of the office with a smile. No Slack.

2019 VA National and Priority Group 8 Relaxation Income Thresholds

thx for the link. Wish I'd seen it b/f applying. I'm in 8g officially now :( I wish they'd just charge a copay and allow access . I need orthotics that're not covered by reg. insurance

I have been helping several Veterans that have served an unaware that they are eligible for disability benefits. In my case it took 6 years of application, appeal and second appeal to finally end up with 10% disability for tinnitus and zero for hearing. I was never informed when I left the service about disability benefits or how to apply. It was 10 years after I left the service that I read an article in a magazine and I had the same problem. The VA is notorious for denials, but persistence pays off. Since, then I have been able to relate certain health problems back to my time on active duty and able to increase the percentage. If you have your medical records or can obtain them, you can google VA DBQ and a list by DBQ Forms are listed. These forms are filled out by your doctor after reviewing your military medical records. Example; during active duty you injured your foot and it was recorded in your medical records. Now, you have pain in that foot. Under the DBQ you would scroll down to MUSCULOSKELETAL, Form # 21-0960M-6. Your doctor fills out the form, writes a letter to the VA and states that "more likely than not" that your pain is a result of injury on active duty. The VA now has a fast track to process claims and try to complete a claim in 30 days from filing. If you received a 10 percent disability you would receive $136.24 per month (no dependents). 100 percent with spouse is $3,139.67. In the one case that I helped with the individual was able to get 60 percent. One thing I learned is that you cannot file without the help of Veterans organizations. The VFW, Disabled Veterans, your state or county have people available to help with the process, but the best way now is going through your own doctor. Hope this helps those who read this.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: vickh and ICUDoc
There are numerous VA benefits outside of the medical system. The VA loan guaranty (0% down) and eligibility to buried in a National cemetery (free headstone!) are the first to come to mind.

The VA medical is a safety net system. I was in and out of the Navy twice, and each time on separating, I had a sit down session with a DAV representative who went through my medical record with me and showed me how to fill out the VA forms. I think a lot of service members, in the excitement of getting out and flood of paperwork/briefings, blow off the opportunity for this session. The second time I got out, I was at an isolated command and drove two hours to Ft Campbell to take care of it.

My second time through the Navy was payback of medical school scholarship, so since I didn't' have a medical school loan to pay off, I called my Tesla a "peace dividend".

Reactions: vickh
There are numerous VA benefits outside of the medical system. The VA loan guaranty (0% down) and eligibility to buried in a National cemetery (free headstone!) are the first to come to mind.

The VA medical is a safety net system. I was in and out of the Navy twice, and each time on separating, I had a sit down session with a DAV representative who went through my medical record with me and showed me how to fill out the VA forms. I think a lot of service members, in the excitement of getting out and flood of paperwork/briefings, blow off the opportunity for this session. The second time I got out, I was at an isolated command and drove two hours to Ft Campbell to take care of it.

My second time through the Navy was payback of medical school scholarship, so since I didn't' have a medical school loan to pay off, I called my Tesla a "peace dividend".

The Army paid for my med school, but I was told that because of my income (and that I did not retire from active duty), I do not qualify for any benefits. Is this true?

The Army paid for my med school, but I was told that because of my income (and that I did not retire from active duty), I do not qualify for any benefits. Is this true?
I believe so. A friend of mine was a Navy dentist and re-enlisted after years of private practice just so he could retire. The Navy is short dentists, so they bent over to make the offer enticing to him, he was promoted to Commander and technically the highest ranking officer on his boat (though not the ship's actual commander, they shared the same rank). All so he could retire with benefits.

I believe so. A friend of mine was a Navy dentist and re-enlisted after years of private practice just so he could retire. The Navy is short dentists, so they bent over to make the offer enticing to him, he was promoted to Commander and technically the highest ranking officer on his boat (though not the ship's actual commander, they shared the same rank). All so he could retire with benefits.

I'm over 20 years out, but I figured everyone else is gaming the system, what am I doing wrong by working to pay for all this? Not that I need it, but for some stuff it would be cheap.

Your friend wouldn't want to be ship's Commander. He'd take a pay cut and have to deal with all that headache.

You do not have to have retired from active duty to receive disability benefits. How do you think guys with two years in Iraq with injuries are getting VA disability benefits. If you make x amount with no disability then yes you make too much money to qualify for medical. Disability is another story.

You do not have to have retired from active duty to receive disability benefits. How do you think guys with two years in Iraq with injuries are getting VA disability benefits. If you make x amount with no disability then yes you make too much money to qualify for medical. Disability is another story.

Yes, I know. Disability is a whole other story and culture. Had I not been angry at the system when I got out, I'm sure I could have found something to be disabled about. It's often a contest between able-bodied persons to see how disabled you can be, and compare %'s over lunch, waiting for the VA pharmacy to fill your Rx.

Last edited: