TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Vett' C5 vs C6 from Stop Light

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by efusco, Nov 29, 2011.

1. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

2. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

When I first saw this video, I was more annoyed with the videographer than the racers.

3. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Yep. Even if you're the best driver in the world, racing against some other idiot is not a good idea.

4. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

If their insurance company gets ahold of this video their insurance will deny coverage.

5. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

If they were in California, wouldn't their cars be confiscated?

6. VolkerP

VolkerP EU Model S P-37

Oops, I won't get the sport version of Model S. Much too tempting...

7. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Don't know the speed limit there, but looks like they hit 45, 50 at max. A bit crazy, but nothing insane. It just happened to end badly, as things sometimes do.

8. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

It's not that they were speeding; they were racing.

9. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

10. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Wonder if every state has a similar law. This is golden:

So, by the definition of the law, the people behind these guys are spectators, as are we for watching the video.

11. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The law seems pretty clear that you have to be present for the purpose of watching the event, not just a random passerby.

12. efusco

No way, unless you can show that they had intentionally followed these guys to watch them race, they are just bystanders who happen to be observant. Why are your posts so "pro-street racer"?

Irrelelant--they were driving in a reckless manner--had a biker crossed in front of them their rapid rate of acceleration (not to mention clear lack of ability to control their vehicles) could kill the biker--they present a clear risk to themselves and the public on a public roadway.

13. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

Whoa, take it down a notch there. I made 2 posts, and I'm not advocating street racing, I'm just not someone that automatically jumps to the "OMG burn them at the stake" way of thinking. I didn't know about the speed display law, hence I didn't see how they would have gotten their car confiscated like they were driving way over the speed limit.

As for the law, I misread it. It read to me like anyone watching it was considered a spectator. Or... Maybe you're right, and I'm just a street racing advocate. Where's the stake?

14. efusco

It was 3 posts--the first one you expressed you were more annoyed with the videographer than the racers, then the other 2 that I quoted above, and none of those 3 did you suggest that the racers might have been in any way in the wrong. Sorry if I've misconstrewed your intent, that can certainly happen here quite easily. IMO, this is a clear and obvious 2 idiots with toys doing something very bad in a very bad place....very clear and simple. Quick to judge--maybe, but after seeing that video the onus is on those racers to prove to me that there was anything even slightly reasonable or safe about what they did and I'll bust their balls until the moment they do. I see far to many patients that injure or kill themselves or others as a result of such sophomoric behavior.

15. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

Don't worry Volker, just watch a few of these videos and hang out on WreckedExotics.com for a while and all temptation will be removed. :smile:

16. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

#16 AnOutsider, Nov 29, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
    Ok 3 posts. Looking at the comments on Youtube, I wasn't alone (in being irked by the recorder). Fair point though, none of my posts are particularly ruffled by the actions in the video, but I guess because that's because I'm not. Perhaps I'm just jaded by seeing much worse on the internet to really get riled up over something like this. Though, if you see a lot of the aftermath and repercussions of stuff like this in your line of work, I can certainly see how it can have the opposite effect.

Either way, not advocating, but also not deeply disturbed by the video.

The thing I love about that site is that many of the stories to go with the pictures are hilarious. Like the guy who sent a Veyron into a lake trying to dodge a duck (or whatever bird it was)

*edit* a pelican

17. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

What was cool about the Veyron going in the lake was that it was caught on video! I wonder if the insurance investigators got a copy of the original video to see if they could find proof that he ran it off on purpose.

18. Mycroft

Mycroft Life happens

19. augkuo

augkuo Member

20. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

#20 TEG, Nov 30, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2016