Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone heard any update on Bob Lutz's VIA Motors? A pretty good idea that definitely would serve a market that seems to have gone silent. They actually had set up a conversion factory in Mexico next door to the GM pick up plant and at one time hoped to manufacture 50K pickups in 2018.

Any news or rumors would be appreciated!

Has anyone heard any update on Bob Lutz's VIA Motors? A pretty good idea that definitely would serve a market that seems to have gone silent. They actually had set up a conversion factory in Mexico next door to the GM pick up plant and at one time hoped to manufacture 50K pickups in 2018.

I strongly suspect they are Caput. I followed company on twitter. Last tweet was dec 2016. I even tweeted asking how to order a truck or van (thought that would get attention) and no response

Reactions: chateauoaks

I too think, if not out of business they are struggling, InsideEVs last update was 3 years ago and even their website has few updates. Very sad, as I have seen two of their vehicles, and they were quite nice.

Reactions: chateauoaks
My favorite phrase of his is when he talks about people "Drinking the blue Elon juice"...You bet we're drinking it. Because who else has the juice to drink? Certainly not GM...

If fact, if you look at Bob's career timeline, Bob was the Chairman of GM North America from 2001 through 2005. They crushed all of the EV1 cars in 2003, WHICH WAS ON HIS WATCH...Blue juice indeed....

He was just speaking at some insurance company event. Spoke about the Model S as someday being a collectors car (Actually very positive on that note). Wonder where his VIA Motors vehicles fit in with collectors. And of course he had to take a swipe at Tesla. The article ran in the LA Times (subscription) but Jalopnik did a recap I can at least link to: https://jalopnik.com/bob-lutz-thinks-the-model-s-will-be-collectable-after-t-1822267177 No mention there of his company.

Reactions: rrosenbl
I could have sworn I read that VIA had actually secured several fleet orders. I suppose there must have been a mutual out clause

Alternatively, if you like conspiracy theories, since Bob is so close to GM and his VIA products were so good (and manufactured next door in Mexico) perhaps GM is buying VIA out, is further developing them and will be surprise releasing these trucks under the GM brand in 2019. I actually always thought this was a viable strategy for Bob. But why the secrecy?

Oooo, that's a good one! Let's start spreading THAT!! lol

• Funny
Reactions: FlatSix911
He was just speaking at some insurance company event. Spoke about the Model S as someday being a collectors car (Actually very positive on that note). Wonder where his VIA Motors vehicles fit in with collectors. And of course he had to take a swipe at Tesla. The article ran in the LA Times (subscription) but Jalopnik did a recap I can at least link to: https://jalopnik.com/bob-lutz-thinks-the-model-s-will-be-collectable-after-t-1822267177 No mention there of his company.

That's actually something only Bob Lutz can do, complementing the S while taking a swipe at Tesla at the same time :D

“A Model S, especially with the performance upgrades, is one of the fastest, best handling, best braking sedans that you could buy in the world today. The acceleration times will beat any $350,000 European exotic."

"Twenty-five years from now, [the Model S] will be remembered as the first really good-looking, fast electric car. People will say ‘Too bad they went‎ broke.’”​

Having him sell more Model Ss in this fashion (hey maybe he'll express similar thoughts on the Model 3) doesn't bother me ;). The Model S probably will be a collectors car down the road. He can throw as much shade as he wants at Tesla. Right now Tesla's investing heavily in infrastructure and in multiple areas of technology (cars, trucks, solar panels and tiles, batteries, etc). I think they have great products, have a dedication to keep improving their product, and a very loyal following and I believe will get the time to grow successfully despite his prediction.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2018

PRESS RELEASES

VIA Motors International, Inc. and Zhejiang Geely New Energy Commercial Vehicle Co., Ltd. announce joint Venture collaboration agreement
  • Joint Venture will launch a line of green logistics commercial vehicles for sale and distribution in North and Latin America.
  • VIA Motors will co-develop a green logistics medium duty truck for Geely New Energy Commercial Vehicles ("GCV") in China under an exclusive arrangement which includes a technology transfer of VIA software and control systems.
  • As part of this arrangement VIA will be responsible for manufacturing, sales and distribution in North and Latin America.
Orem, Utah - January 22, 2018
In line with Geely’s corporate global vision of producing the safest, most environmentally-friendly and most energy-efficient “New Energy Commercial Vehicles,” VIA Motors International, Inc., a leader of electric and hybrid drive systems offering a range of extended range (eREV) and EV commercial vehicles, today announces that it has completed an exclusive agreement with China based Zhejiang Geely New Energy Vehicle Co. Ltd., a subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Commercial Vehicle Group.

The parties have agreed to co-develop a medium duty extended range electric truck, which incorporates VIA's industry leading proprietary vehicle software and systems control technology, for launch in China and the Americas in 2019.

Mr. Nathan Yu Ning, Zhejiang Geely Holding Vice President of International Business and Executive Advisor to the Board said "Geely selected VIA Motors due to the company's advanced commercial vehicle software and control systems technology, specifically developed to meet the demanding duty cycle and performance requirements of commercial vehicles."

"I believe that range extended hybrid drive systems are a leading technology for the next 5-10 years and the co-developed truck will utilize proven technology such as a Volvo engine for the range extender. VIA Motors provides technology plus an engineering and management team that can support GCV to accelerate to be global leading commercial vehicle company and assist the introduction of GCV Trucks into North and Latin America through our newly formed joint venture," continued Mr. Yu.

"VIA Motors is honored to partner with Geely Commercial Vehicles. This agreement allows VIA to execute our strategy with the launch of an expanded portfolio of advanced drive systems and vehicles," commented Peter Guile, CEO of VIA Motors. "We are excited to be working with our new global partners to electrify the future of the world’s working vehicles," he continued.

"Geely is the ideal strategic partner for VIA Motors, as the fastest growing global vehicle company, with a demonstrated commitment to the electrification of their portfolio of award winning vehicles," commented Bob Lutz, Chairman of VIA Motors and former Vice-Chairman of GM. "The alliance between Geely and VIA Motors combines technology, access to their industry leading suppliers, and a mutual entrepreneurial spirit dedicated to accelerating the global adoption of extended range electric commercial vehicles," further commented Mr. Lutz.

Zhejiang Geely Commercial Vehicle (GCV) is a subsidiary of Zhejiang Geely Holding Group (ZGH)
ZGH consists of many well-known international automotive brands including Geely Auto, Lynk & Co, Volvo Cars, Polestar, PROTON, Lotus, London Electric Vehicle Company, Yuan Cheng Auto, and Terrafugia with global operations spanning the automotive value chain, from research, development and design to production, sales and servicing. ZGH also recently announced acquisition of 8.2% of Volvo AB.

Zhejiang Geely Commercial Vehicle (GCV) has two sub brands; the London Electric Vehicle Company and Yuan Cheng Auto. The London Taxi Company (LTC) became known as the London Electric Vehicle Company ("LEVC") in July 2017 as the company transitions into being a provider of urban focused new energy commercial vehicles. Yuan Cheng Auto has three core product lines; new energy focused trucks and bus chassis and also new energy powertrains. Yuan Cheng launched its first core products in October 2016 with the introduction of the E12 pure electric city bus and an E200 pure electric logistics vehicle.

GCV has two core research and development centers in Hangzhou, China and Coventry, UK with over 2,000 engineers and production facilities in both China and the UK together with a total of over 3,000 production and administration staff.

picture1.png

Front row: Gerald Page, Director Asia VIA. Peter Guile, CEO VIA, Nathan Yu, President Executive Advisor/VP ZGH, Chen Yiming, Int'l Legal Sr. Dir ZGH. Back row: Thierry Cassuat, CTO VIA. Dick Clayton, Exec VP VIA. Bob Purcell, COO VIA. Fiona Fei, Sr. Manager of Chairman Office ZGH. Li Hongyan VP of GCV Research Institute. Austin Hu, VP of GCV Research Institute. Song Guanghui, Dean Ass't GCV Research Institute. Xi Na, Int'l Legal Supervisor ZGH. Steven Song, Int'l Business Sr Manager ZGH.

• Informative
Reactions: Rouget
OK while searching for a permit for an upcoming Tesla Supercharger site in the City of Campbell, CA (none so far this year), I stumbled upon an item under the Public Notices - Planning Commission that got me curious. Turns out it was for Luxe Motorsports but as I read through the Notice I saw a mention to Via Motors on the form.

128 E. Sunnyoakes Ave., Suite 209A, Use Permit - Vehicle Sales Retail/Wholesale

Two of the parking spaces on the plan were labeled for Via Motors. I remembered this thread and though you guys might be interested in it. It seems I can't link to it directly, so if you want to view it you'll need to select it under the Public Notices - Planning Commission: Campbell, CA - Official Website

Here's the Via Motor's website (had to verify it was the same Bob Lutz company that we were discussing before): VIA Motors Under their media section is the press release mentioned above in this thread regarding the joint venture. No where on their site does it mention an office in Campbell. I did however find this April 21, 2017 article in the San Jose Mercury News about Via Motors coming to Campbell: New car business will operate in Campbell

Guess they've been here in the Bay Area for a little while in the shadows.

Last edited:
Having him sell more Model Ss in this fashion (hey maybe he'll express similar thoughts on the Model 3) doesn't bother me ;). The Model S probably will be a collectors car down the road. He can throw as much shade as he wants at Tesla. Right now Tesla's investing heavily in infrastructure and in multiple areas of technology (cars, trucks, solar panels and tiles, batteries, etc). I think they have great products, have a dedication to keep improving their product, and a very loyal following and I believe will get the time to grow successfully despite his prediction.
1 of every 3 Luxury cars now a Model S in almost all world markets - even Germany. Model S our sells Class S in Germany as well.

No it does not, despite some American sites misreporting this last week.

Model S outsells S Class in Europe as a whole but not Germany.

Tesla needs to increase sales about 90% in Germany to overtake S Class in Germany.
oops, Rob reminds me I only think I know what I read. And again, Rob is right. Jalopnik article has added

"CORRECTION: This post initially stated that The Model S outsold its German rivals in their home country. In fact, it was across Europe as a whole." https://jalopnik.com/the-tesla-model-s-outsold-the-germans-in-their-home-cou-1823163274

and this of course reminds me of what Mark Twain is often given credit of saying something like
"If you don't read newspapers you are ill-informed.
If you do read newspapers you are mis-informed."

below is perhaps a better reflection of the world luxury car segment
Tesla Model S outsells Mercedes S Class and BMW 7 Series in Europe
"The Mercedes S Class is Daimler’s flagship model. The German carmaker has China to thank for the fact that it is still the world’s number one model in the segment. There, Tesla is significantly weaker than the German competition."

"However, in the US market, Tesla has snatched the top spot. The Model S was sold a total of 28,800 times last year – almost twice as often as the Mercedes competitor."

quick look (first 3 pages of google search) couldn't find German only sales numbers. Anyone?
side note: "This new S Class is one of the best cars in the world, Motor Trend even picked it over the Tesla Model S." per Kelley Blue Book

interesting times... thanks again Rob, keepin it real as we used to say.

Reactions: rabar10