Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration at 3-4 mph at the end of regenerative braking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I thought I've heard a P85D owner complain as well earlier.
I thought the P85 owner's description of the problem was a bit different.

But now, we have a relater indicating his 85D does not exhibit the problem. Very weird.

- - - Updated - - -

I have an 85D and have been trying to replicate this but I haven't been able to feel it. I've tried range mode on and off. I've driven many miles since the software update and haven't noticed the problem.
What's your regen setting?

I have an 85D and have been trying to replicate this but I haven't been able to feel it. I've tried range mode on and off. I've driven many miles since the software update and haven't noticed the problem.

The effect is easy to suppress. Foot needs to be completely off the accelerator with no brakes applied. Surface needs to be level or slight uphill, so the car will coast slowly to a stop on its own. There is a distinct, mild shudder when the speed drops from 4 mph to 3 mph and then goes away. Even light pressure on accelerator or brake seems to be enough to suppress. I notice this with range mode off. First few times, I thought it was the air conditioner compressor kicking in - it is that subtle.

- - - Updated - - -

They sited the latest firmware change, and they think it may be one of the new features they added to dry the braking system off during wet periods. Now it seems to be enabling even when it is not wet out, and now everyone notices it. I think he called it brake scrubbing or something else.

Thanks for the feedback. I am skeptical because I think that brake scrubbing would feel much smoother, unless poorly implemented. The technician's explanation cited by csr19us, slight out of sync situation between front and rear motors, seems more like the shudder that I feel. Of course, I am very puzzled and concerned that a bug like this would show up, since I would expect very robust control logic that keeps the motors in sync at all speeds. That is fundamental to the millisecond level power balancing between the dual motors.

Last edited:
Just got a call back from the technician I called about this. They have confirmed that this is a firmware issue, and as soon as they resolve the issue there will be a firmware update to resolve it. Keep posting if you wish, but know that it's getting fixed and it's not harming your car or affecting your safety in the meantime.

Just got a call back from the technician I called about this. They have confirmed that this is a firmware issue, and as soon as they resolve the issue there will be a firmware update to resolve it. Keep posting if you wish, but know that it's getting fixed and it's not harming your car or affecting your safety in the meantime.

Confirmed. This is a known issue and Tesla will fix it with the next update.

Finally! .46 solved it.
Reading through this thread we have initial reports on 20 August and a fix on 30 August.
Wow! It took a whole 10 days to fix this problem (which was so subtile that I was never able to hear/feel it).
Hard to imagine any other car company responding so quickly to a minor issue... they don't even respond quickly to life threatening issues.

Reading through this thread we have initial reports on 20 August and a fix on 30 August.
Wow! It took a whole 10 days to fix this problem (which was so subtile that I was never able to hear/feel it).
Hard to imagine any other car company responding so quickly to a minor issue... they don't even respond quickly to life threatening issues.

That's one way to look at it. Another way is that this bug should have never been introduced to the users in the first place.