Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration in Steering Wheel.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a very noticeable vibration in the steering wheel that seems to be getting worse over time. It only occurs at high speeds, like on the freeway. Any suggestions. The car is new, about 1K miles. Non performance model Y, 19" wheels.

If it's only occasionally it could be lane departure warning, Per page 110 in the Owners Manual:

Lane Departure Avoidance

Depending on your vehicle's configuration, this feature may not be available.

Lane Departure Avoidance provides steering interventions if Model Y drifts into (or close to) an adjacent lane when driving between 40 and 90 mph (64 and 145 km/h) on major roadways with clearly visible lane markings. Touch Controls > Autopilot > Lane Departure Avoidance and choose:

• OFF: You are not warned of lane departures or potential collisions with a vehicle in an adjacent lane.

• WARNING: The steering wheel vibrates if a front wheel passes over a lane marking while the associated turn signal is off. A visual warning on the touchscreen is also displayed.

• ASSIST: In addition to the steering wheel vibration and a visual warning, Model Y attempts to steer to a safer position in its driving lane if the vehicle detects drifting or a potential collision while the associated turn signal is off.

Your setting is retained until you manually change it.

When Lane Departure Avoidance detects drifting and applies a steering intervention, the designated lane line is highlighted in blue on the touchscreen.

I have the Gemini wheels and have had this vibration problem from day 1. Only happens 70+ MPH and above. My VIN is 14xxxx range. I took to the SC and they said it was within spec and they could not do anything until a bulletin is issued. I torqued all nuts to 129 and most were around 100ft/lbs and it got better but still exists. Taking it back to SC to get the tires balanced to see if its helps. What a pain to deal with this.

One of the items I brought to my SC last week was the vibration at highway speeds. My SC said that they balanced my tires, and performed an alignment (there was a toe out issue), and I personally double-checked the torque and it is 129. My SC said that road-force balancing may get rid of the vibration completely, or it may simply get better as I get more miles on the car. There wasn't more they could do. I tend to not believe that driving it will make it better. However, what I do know is that this isn't my first experience with Continental OEM tires and vibration at highway speeds. The only way I've been able to address this in other vehicles (VW and Subaru) is to change tire brands. I've gone down the road force balancing before (expensive) with very little benefit. It just sucks to have to spend the money this soon for tires, and I don't know how much louder tires without foam inside them will be.

We have a very noticeable vibration in the steering wheel that seems to be getting worse over time. It only occurs at high speeds, like on the freeway. Any suggestions. The car is new, about 1K miles. Non performance model Y, 19" wheels.
Hi, it's been a while since anyone posted on this, but i'm wondering if tightening the wheel nuts worked. we have almost 7k on our Y, and just started to have this problem. i took the car in and had the wheels rebalanced, but i'm still getting vibration in the steering wheel if i hit slightly uneven pavement over 40 mph (it started initially at 70). i set up a service appt, but am wondering what other folks experience has been.