Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Vibration In Steering Wheel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting thread. I picked up a new Model S 90D (19" tires) two weeks ago and had my first highway driving yesterday. Had terrible shaking in the front over 70mph on the highway. Although I know it is not the actual issue, it felt like one of the wheels periodically would be unaligned on the passenger side. This thread makes me feel like the issue is not an isolated one. Unfortunately my new Model S (this is #3 for me) has an unbelievable amount of other problems, and so the shaking is just another to add to the list (this is not even the worst problem - there seems to be a car-wide electrical problem causing all sorts of issues). Disappointing as I have literally never had any real issues with any of the Model S vehicles before (even the < 4000 VIN one only had a handle that needed to be replaced). BLAH!

This is great to read! I have experienced the same problem and have also lost some sleep...I did find if you start experiencing this on the highway, just get behind someone and the draft eliminates the issue. I know this isn't a fix, but helps until I get get it into the SC.

Hey, I just got my MS (december build) back from the Sunnyvale SC and after their second attempt, we look to have solved the problem. As noted in this thread and highlighted by the video on the thread, the black plastic strip needs some significant reinforcement under it to prevent it from flexing and vibrating at speed. The SC took off the front bumper and significantly reinforced my strip and there is NO flex in it, so the problem is solved. I imagine there may be a recall issue down the road, but at least I can drive "over 65" and not have to draft closely behind someone to avoid the vibration.

I contacted the Denver SC today and they haven't heard of this yet. I have an appointment later this month and would like some paperwork showing prior instances of repair. Can anyone send or post their SC explanation for others to bring into their own SC's?

Here is the note from my Service invoice to correct the vibration:

Diagnosis found that lower front bumper valence was vibrating at high speeds. recommend insulating to reduce vibration. Corrections: Foam - Ankle Catcher Assembly - Bumper - Front Applied foam insulator to front bumper ankle catcher.

Reactions: tvcraig
How incompetent can Tesla's designers be? Didn't they test this in a wind tunnel, or at least road test the new front design before putting it into production? The kinds of things Tesla misses - critical, important things - never ceases to surprise me. I was thinking of buying another S in a year or two, but not as long as Tesla continues to use its customers as beta testers. Things that are simple for Toyota and Kia and Hyundai seem way over Tesla's head.

Quick to put out such a negative comment on a company that is making exceptional vehicles and changing the landscape. I am fully satisfied.

Reactions: markn455
MS 90 D December 2016 delivery. Same issue as soon I as drove it from taking delivery. Steering wheel vibrations occurs around 70-75 mph. Took it to service. They reported the following:
"Test drove vehicle, verified customer concern. Remove front fascia and check all fascia components are torqued. Install foam to prevent contact between ankle catcher, under shield, and front fascia. Verified repair, noted vibration did not return.. Repair completed."

Got it back yesterday. Well, problem not solved, Vibration is still there. Will take it again to SC.

For those of you with the steering wheel vibration, how bad is the vibration? Is it visibly noticeable in the steering wheel or is it something you just feel in the steering wheel?
For me it's just a feeling of moderate frequency vibration. Can't see it visually. It seems to disappear when I'm tailing another car as posted elsewhere in the thread.

I just picked up my P100D on Tuesday. I previously had a P90D with the plastic bubble front. The new car immediately had a noisy vibration above 70 mph that you can also feel in the steering wheel, but you don't see it. Definitely not the lane departure which is much more powerful, and turned off. Never happened with the P90D. I also had no driver's assistance all day yesterday although it was available today. Love the extra range and the power but they have to have a fundamental fix to the vibration that we are all experiencing!

Reactions: davidc18
Hi - I just picked up my new s90d yesterday, 2/17 and noticed the vibration in the steering but I also noticed some steering instability as well. Those with vibration issue, do you also have the steering "play" issue as well? Steering doesn't feel solid at highway speeds 50+, Not sure if it's related.

• Informative
Reactions: davidc18 and MS16